Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #452 of 1,852
ATH-A700's.

These things were painful to my ears. They were so bright it gave me headaches. I truly didn't understand why people wear these for gaming. The gunshots or just general footstep sounds felt like needles being shot into my brain. And drum snares were horribly off-tone, couldn't stand drumming with these.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #454 of 1,852
LCD-2s.

Why? Well I was happy as larry to buy the HD800s but to spend another chunk of money on a headphone wasn't an easy decision. Hopefully in time my mind will change though :p.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #456 of 1,852
Mee electronics M6P great reviews too bad the remote control was totally worthless not only on the first set but also on the second set that was sent from amazon to replace the first. I couldn't even listen to music because it would randomly play and pause music from all the errant commands the remote was sending to the phone. 

Based on all the good reviews I have seen here I am almost willing to try a 3rd pair but my level of disappointment was so high that I can't bring myself to do it.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #460 of 1,852

Quote:
LCD-2s.

Why? Well I was happy as larry to buy the HD800s but to spend another chunk of money on a headphone wasn't an easy decision. Hopefully in time my mind will change though :p.

Well, you haven't actually answered your own question there, and I'm sure the answer would be of great interest to some of us.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #461 of 1,852
For me, the Edition 8 -- mostly because I didn't like them at all, and I didn't manage to recoup a good chunk of my money when I sold them, which hurt.  They were my third pair of Ultrasones I've tried, and the third pair of Ultrasones I didn't like -- I've finally taken the hint that maybe the Ultrasone sound isn't for me.  In any case, I won't be buying Ultrasone again unless there's a very convincing argument for me to do so.  I can appreciate the build quality and materials, but for me it seems like the materials were chosen to justify placing enormous price tags on the Edition headphones.  I just don't think the sonics live up to the price tag, not by a long shot.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #462 of 1,852

Quote:
Quote:
Astro A40 headset before I knew better.

I can understand it is not a musically ideal set of cans but you have to jimmy rig Senn's and Audio Technica's to achieve the actual headset functions it provides for console gaming.

Not really.  You can get cheaper headsets that have better audio quality (such as Sennheiser PC350, Razer Carcharias, etc).  Or the better option would be get a good pair of headphones with a good soundstage, and just use a separate mic, no need to actually modify your headphones if you don't want to.  The A40's are like the Skullycandy of headphones- people buy them because their friends tell them they are the best, and they are "stylish".  Ooo removable decorative plates!

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #464 of 1,852
$30 sony "extra bass" buds. good thing is, i just keep them in my backpack and lend them to people who ask me if i have extra headphones they can use. 

maybe the sr80s too. i havent used them much and knowing myself, wont much more

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #465 of 1,852

Quote:
Not really.  You can get cheaper headsets that have better audio quality (such as Sennheiser PC350, Razer Carcharias, etc).  Or the better option would be get a good pair of headphones with a good soundstage, and just use a separate mic, no need to actually modify your headphones if you don't want to.  The A40's are like the Skullycandy of headphones- people buy them because their friends tell them they are the best, and they are "stylish".  Ooo removable decorative plates!

None of the sets you posted are PS3 compatible.... and the astro mixamp is actually a pretty decent product. The only set that I know of with the same features and better reviewed sound quality is the Turtle Beach Earforce HPX which when I bought my A40's was sold out. This is still not to deny they are not audiophile quality headphones but none of the audiophile units allow you to coordinate your assault with your team on COD or Battlefield without jimmy rigging. I just think fanboy's and over zealous haters forget these are a niche product for gaming and the marketing for them for anything beyond that is foolish. They are functional for their intended purpose is all I am getting at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back