Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #331 of 1,852
Grado SR60.

I never liked the say they sound, and they've just been sitting around for the last 4-5 years.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #332 of 1,852
Must be the esw9a. Impulse buy, didnt use it much, more of a display headdy...lol

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #333 of 1,852

Quote:
+1 for k701s

The K701s for me are a meh/love/hate thing.

I hated them out of all the "decent" amps I tried, but thought they were okay out of cheaper high-gain amps like the Maverick D1 and Indeed Hybrid. I never listened to them much once those cheap amps of mine went off line and/or got sold.

Then I got them balanced and plugged them into a WA22 with the 7236 high-power tubes and they really took off. I was quite surprised at how finicky they are about amplification and how capable they were of scaling up.

The bass was finally fleshed out with full extension and definition, the mids were not recessed at all and the highs were detailed and smooth. The expansive soundstage was well-arranged, and they even exhibited a bit of tubey warmth.

I really couldn't believe it was the same headphone I had never really liked for the whole time I had them, until then. I will hopefully be repeating that experience tomorrow when the amp will be coming back to me from repair at Woo.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #335 of 1,852
Grado SR325i 

Who's the person in charge of the main production of this headphone? I'd like to personally return the bleeding ear drums and ear pinnas he's given me for a whole year with my whole year's worth of savings. It took "perceived detail through emphasized treble" to a whole new level. I had cheaper headphones with less shrill highs with better detail retrieval and far better comfort.

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #336 of 1,852
UE superfi 5 pros. Sounded great, could put up with the comfort but by far the the biggest waste of money. Bought for almost AU$500, spent AU$140 fixing the wires as they inevitably broke after just a couple of months of use and now the plug that the wires plug into has come off rendering them a disgustingly expensive piece of useless plastic.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #337 of 1,852

Quote:
Grado SR325i 

Who's the person in charge of the main production of this headphone? I'd like to personally return the bleeding ear drums and ear pinnas he's given me for a whole year with my whole year's worth of savings. It took "perceived detail through emphasized treble" to a whole new level. I had cheaper headphones with less shrill highs with better detail retrieval and far better comfort.

I have to agree. the 325i were the biggest disappointment for me which is a shame because i got rid of my lovely Ultrasone 750's to pay for them. But they were far too one dimensional. Exceptional with classical and jazz (at a push) but awful with everything else. However I had great fun changing the ear pads for the HD25-1 ear pads, and this turned them to the most savage bass bins. 

In the end the 325i had to go. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #339 of 1,852
Wow The 325's I have are the old style. I use them on my Kurzweil keyboard, mine are about 5 years old. Sorry that the 325i's sucked. I just bought a pair of new 60i's after trying the new GRI's and I can't imagine the SR60's as bright. I liked them when I was in my early 30's  and like them now 10 or more so years later.

Mark

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #341 of 1,852
In this order

Yuin Pk1- The Senn MX580 is 5x less expensive and almost as good for only $30  Yuin in general is just awful, cheap plastic IMO compared to a few other models out there for equal price.  Easily the most over hyped set ever

The Grado SR60-325i - For being the most useless sets you can buy, only good for rock, literally the worst design and most uncomfortable overhyped nonsense ever to grace the headphones world.  What genius thought it was a good idea to have a nice long thick cord,  the most uncomfortable earpads ever that force you to buy SENNHEISER pads just to make them less painful, dirt cheap plastic housing, and a UNBELIEVABLY stupid long and thick cord on a set that cant be used as a monitor set to begin with.  What the hell, grado? 
seriously...shame really because the RS series is freaking amazing, but everything before it is just craptastic.

Sennheiser HD595 - because its the HD555 in disguise that is far cheaper.  Still sounds amazing though, so its not on the list for sucking, its just on the list because of it having the same driver as the HD555 that is half the price.

Sorry if ive offended anyone, but I really hate the entire Pk series and the ENTIRE grado lineup from the 325i and back.  Just awful sets that I wish both yuin and Grado would start paying me to use their garbage.

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #343 of 1,852
Skullcandy in the ear.
I was hoping it can serve as a good gym phone..
It does block some noise, but it sounds really crappy and fits bad with my ear.
Nowadays I use QC15 as gym phone....

Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm
It's not bad, it just doesn't fit my need anyplace.
It's not good enough for serious listening to me.
It's comfortable so it's nice for casual listening in the office.
But I would prefer a comfortable closed back in the office....

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #344 of 1,852
I love my PK1 but I agree. I would NEVER recommend someone to buy them. They are so overpriced, but they have lasted a hellav-alot of abuse.

My animosity towards Grado headphones are so great that I question their management and leadership of their CEO. I mean what is the direction of the company? Just seems like one lost company to me. I also only like the RS1, but I personally think Audio Technica have built better headphones with RS1's sound character.

Quote:
In this order

Yuin Pk1- The Senn MX580 is 5x less expensive and almost as good for only $30  Yuin in general is just awful, cheap plastic IMO compared to a few other models out there for equal price.  Easily the most over hyped set ever

The Grado SR60-325i - For being the most useless sets you can buy, only good for rock, literally the worst design and most uncomfortable overhyped nonsense ever to grace the headphones world.  What genius thought it was a good idea to have a nice long thick cord,  the most uncomfortable earpads ever that force you to buy SENNHEISER pads just to make them less painful, dirt cheap plastic housing, and a UNBELIEVABLY stupid long and thick cord on a set that cant be used as a monitor set to begin with.  What the hell, grado? 
seriously...shame really because the RS series is freaking amazing, but everything before it is just craptastic.

Sennheiser HD595 - because its the HD555 in disguise that is far cheaper.  Still sounds amazing though, so its not on the list for sucking, its just on the list because of it having the same driver as the HD555 that is half the price.

Sorry if ive offended anyone, but I really hate the entire Pk series and the ENTIRE grado lineup from the 325i and back.  Just awful sets that I wish both yuin and Grado would start paying me to use their garbage.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #345 of 1,852

Quote:
I love my PK1 but I agree. I would NEVER recommend someone to buy them. They are so overpriced, but they have lasted a hellav-alot of abuse.

My animosity towards Grado headphones are so great that I question their management and leadership of their CEO. I mean what is the direction of the company? Just seems like one lost company to me. I also only like the RS1, but I personally think Audio Technica have built better headphones with RS1's sound character.

You the heck are you to question how John Grado runs his company? What products have you brought to market that have such a huge following? His company has been around for a very long time and has some really great products that many, many people enjoy and think very highly of. He has made a huge contribution to the audio world.

Just get over it....I have NEVER heard an Audio Technica (except for the W1000X) that I liked...I see you enjoyed their flagship (W5000) so much that your selling them with a week. Sheesh...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back