Headphones you regretted buying the most
Feb 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #212 of 1,852
Samson CH70 Studio "Reference" Headphones I bought when My Grado Sr80's broke the first time, i had to EQ my iAudio 7 just so the bass wouldn't blow my brains out, the first day I got them I took out the leather earpads and glue in pads from my broken Koss Ksc-75 to make them sound just OK, should've gotten another KSC-75 instead

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #214 of 1,852
Grado SR80 - my first Grado headphone ever and most definitely my last, I will never understand how people can possibly like anything sound- or comfortwise about this type of phones

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #215 of 1,852
ATH-W5000, what a disappointment. The midrange sounded unnatural and aggressive to me, even after a fair amount of break-in, so they had to go (amped with Sugden Headmaster).

It was a pity to sell these headphones as the wood finish is equisite, far nicer than my Denon D5000's. I would have liked to heard them with the HA5000 amp but that would have required a step-down transformer here in the UK.

Interestingly, I heard my old pair at a meet about a year later and didn't find them bad at all. I would definitely like to hear the W5000 again if I get the chance.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #216 of 1,852
Ultrasone Hfi-780. Not comfortable whatsoever.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #219 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by WirBrauchenBass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR80 - my first Grado headphone ever and most definitely my last, I will never understand how people can possibly like anything sound- or comfortwise about this type of phones

very_evil_smiley.gif

Ditto. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #220 of 1,852
Without a doubt my most disappointing purchase was the Sony MDR-EX71. They simply sound absurd, like everything has been squeezed through some ancient MIDI sequencer. I've never heard more artificial sound in my life.

Moving on to 'proper' headphones, I think the one I have most mixed feelings about is the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700. The frequency response curve in itself will go a long way towards explaining why. Have you ever seen a weirder one?

graphCompare.php

Actually, I can sorta live with all the dips and peaks, it's the the lack of treble that makes these sound most problematic to me. Well, that, and the total lack of wear-comfort.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #221 of 1,852
My only direct exposure to Audio Technica is their EM7 "premium" clip-on model, and it is much the same as the graph above. No bass (some people say this as an exaggeration, I really mean it here as in the response completely disappears below about 85Hz and is whisper weak above that), no upper treble. Just lots and lots of very colored midrange. A shame they sound so weird because the detail and attack/speed are really good. It was off putting enough to make me never try any other AT phone and I've always wondered if this is characteristic of more of their models.

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #222 of 1,852
alienware ozma 5 - impulse buy cuz they were cheap, its so uncomfortable on my head

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #223 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only direct exposure to Audio Technica is their EM7 "premium" clip-on model, and it is much the same as the graph above. No bass (some people say this as an exaggeration, I really mean it here as in the response completely disappears below about 85Hz and is whisper weak above that), no upper treble. Just lots and lots of very colored midrange. A shame they sound so weird because the detail and attack/speed are really good. It was off putting enough to make me never try any other AT phone and I've always wondered if this is characteristic of more of their models.

Actually, the PRO700 does have a huge amount of bass, with significant roll-off only starting under 40Hz. No problems in that department. Which again shows you how much FR graphs are worth.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back