Headphones you regretted buying the most
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #182 of 1,852
Well did you burn them in? If so, your response makes pretty much no sense to me if you found them boring. They are neutral cans with something that makes them fun to listen to. If the HA-D700 have a flat response too, how could you not like the Shure's
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #183 of 1,852
I burned them in playing 24/7 for several days. I don't really buy into the whole gazillion hour burn in thing.

As far as why I like the JVC's and not the Shure's - sometimes graphs can be very misleading and two phones (or speakers for that matter) with very similar measured responses can sound vastly different to the ear.

Sorry, didn't mean to seem hostile or anything - I was just a little annoyed by the hype these things have received. I mean it's my own fault for buying into it but still a little peeved.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #184 of 1,852
Well just coz they are/are not neutral on a graph, doesn't mean they actually sound neutral
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #188 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdferguson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple IEMs. Twice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*gasp! I see you are no stranger to pain
wink.gif

They're actually just as good as anything else in the $79 retail price class, as long as you get the newer dual-driver NON COUNTERFEIT version
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #189 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the arguments in favor of the HD595, but how exactly are they considered a bargain when they're more than twice the cost of the HD555, which uses the exact same drivers?

They're a bargain at their price. The 555, especially with the foam mod, are a quadrazoopleposicallated super dooper bargain!!!! For ever and ever, Amen.
smily_headphones1.gif

But seriously, the extra refinement of the 595 IS worth it for classical listeners. And not everyone wants to pull their cans apart and start ripping bits out. I think it was a bit naughty of Senn to remove something from a phone and charge twice as much, but that's economics for you. Or maybe you could just think of it as adding something and halving the price.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #190 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're actually just as good as anything else in the $79 retail price class, as long as you get the newer dual-driver NON COUNTERFEIT version
ksc75smile.gif

I bought the first generation (pre-iPhone) Apple IEMs, they were sonically junk and impossible to seal well. I hoped the second generation IEMs would be an improvement. While they're sonically better (although still pretty lousy), they don't seal well either and consequently are not useable.

As to the counterfeit issue, I don't know what you're referring to; I bought both these from an Apple store.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #192 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SRH840

Another poster in the dedicated thread put it best - absolutely no musicality.

They are flat and I don't mean the measured response, I mean the sound... flat, flat, flat and just plain boring to listen to.

Add to this that they somehow manage to be flat and boring yet at the same time the bass is fat, sloppy, disjointed and overwhelming.

I MUCH preferred the sound of my JVC HA-D700's to the Shure's. Yeah, they aren't as refined sounding but at least they are fun to listen to by comparison.

The only thing that the Shure's excel at IMO is detail. If you're a detail freak then maybe these are the cans for you, otherwise... meh.

Hated 'em.

Denon D2000's may then be the answer that you are looking for.
L3000.gif

Like a "musical", attitudinal version of the relatively partisan Shure SRH-840's.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #193 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdferguson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the first generation (pre-iPhone) Apple IEMs, they were sonically junk and impossible to seal well. I hoped the second generation IEMs would be an improvement. While they're sonically better (although still pretty lousy), they don't seal well either and consequently are not useable.

As to the counterfeit issue, I don't know what you're referring to; I bought both these from an Apple store.

Do yours have the dual drivers?

Maybe if you had managed to get a better seal they would have sounded better to your ears.

I agree that Apple's original earbuds and their subsequent first attempt at IEMs did not go well. I bought a pair of those as well, and was not impressed.

But I was referring to the third-generation of Apple earphones, which is their second-generation of IEMs; they are the only version with dual drivers, so I just wanted to make sure
regular_smile .gif

As far as the counterfeit issue, it's a good thing you didn't go for a cheap pair on eBay:

eBay Guides - Spotting Fake Apple Ipod Headphones

eBay Guides - Fake ipod headphones earbuds

eBay Guides - FAKE iPod earphones, How to Different Original

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #194 of 1,852
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose Tri-ports. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. I gave them to my nephew and they broke on him. Now he hates Bose too.

I now use mine when I mow the lawn or run the weed-eater! They work okay for that purpose and I dont care if they get scratched or broken. As it stands they are scratched all over from pine branches and only about 50% of the pleather still remains.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #195 of 1,852
@OP I actually like my Skullcrushers... lol. For $40 I think I got my money's worth. They're good because they viberate to the beat, not because they have subwoofers.

Dollar-store headphones. I paid $1 just to take them apart for wire and still feel like I got ripped off. Also RCA HP NC100. Absolutely horrible noise canceling headphones. Nauseating, tinny and uncomfortable. I'm so sad that I used them for 4 years
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back