Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 13, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #1,801 of 1,852
AKG K701 and K702 a few years back, after reading all the hyped up reviews on them.
I found them hard to drive, lacking in bass, distant, diffuse, and too bright around 2khz and 7khz, and rolled off in the top octave.
But they were very detailed and had a wide soundstage. I will give them that.
Overall, I still preferred both the Sennheiser HD600/650 over them.
The Sennheiser HD800 + sdr and HD800 S are LEAGUES ahead of the K700 series, imho.
I also agreed with uncle erik back then that they had a "plasticy" sound.
Never really changed after 400 + hours of burn-in either.
The K700 series were simply never my cup of tea.
Also, I never cared much for the Beyerdynamic DT990...too V shaped sounding...bright treble, recessed mids, boomy bass, imho.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,802 of 1,852
I had buyers remorse when I once believed that you need to spend 5-10x the price of speakers to achieve the same quality as the 5-10x cheaper headphones. Thus I bought mid-fi headphones costing up to 400 USD (K712, HD650) hoping I can get the sound/clarity etc of a 2000 USD speaker. But then when I bought the HS7 (400 USD/pair at the time) since I wanted to upgrade my computer speakers, I was astounded that it out-detailed and outperformed in terms of PRAT these mid-fi headphones. Thus I only pursue mid-fi IEMs for now as speakers are better for me at home while IEMs and NC headphones are for travel.

Oh yea I hear ya, studio monitors are awesome. I have a pair of Samson RXA6's and the sound quality is phenomenal, it literally sounds like the music is being pumped directly into my brain (when set up and spaced correctly). Best set of speakers I've ever heard, got them used for $100 a piece too.

May 14, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #1,803 of 1,852
LCD-X. I bought it and a week later I heard a modded HD650 plugged into a Bottlehead Crack. The whole thing was still cheaper than what I had paid for a Lcd-x.

May 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,805 of 1,852
Interestingly enough for me, I haven't exactly regretted purchasing any headphones. What I do regret, however, is selling and trading. If i could go back, i would love to have all the headphones that I once owned.

May 15, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,806 of 1,852
ZMF Eikon - Definitely not my signature. Should have bought Atticus. Oh well water under bridge now.

May 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,808 of 1,852
Heir Audio 8.A. Got these used and reshelled 'em. These are bassy, way too much of that downstairs goodness for me. The sound for me lacked air and wasn't very open. Too clunky in general. IDK, perhaps if I had a nicely thin and spaciously sounding DAP, this would've worked. But it is what it is.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,811 of 1,852
shure 846 they would be the only ones i would leave in the past and vmoda cans because i hate cans

missing
asg2
sm64
w4
ie800
:frowning2:

maybe what i regret the most is the first pair that started it all having paid 400 for some ultimate ears triple fi 5 (the ugly black ones from way back in the day) ,apart from the fact they sounded nothing like what 400 can get you these days, I can relate this to having my first sip of alcohol

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,812 of 1,852
Interestingly enough for me, I haven't exactly regretted purchasing any headphones. What I do regret, however, is selling and trading. If i could go back, i would love to have all the headphones that I once owned.

Hmm...I'm getting ready to sell my Philips Fidelio X2's, if only because I hardly ever use them since I bought my B&W P9 Signatures. But your post kinda struck a chord. Now having second thoughts. The X2's still have the widest soundstage of anything I've ever personally listened to. Already told the wife that I was selling them, though. Do you really think I'd regret selling?

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,813 of 1,852
Id say the M50. Theyre not bad, but after buying them, I found I dont like closed headphones too much. I use them in the gym when Im not doing anything too intensive. I get the urge to listen to them every now and then but not often.

I'd have to list the original M50's as my biggest regret also. Bought them because of all the hype, but I never really enjoyed them. The bass was ok...but the mids were recessed, the highs were overly bright and at the same time not very detailed, and the soundstage was completely nonexistent.

Don't completely write off closed headphones, though. If you ever really want to splurge on a closed set of portable cans, the Bowers & Wilkins P9's are freakin brilliant. They're expensive, and need to burned in for at least 50 hours to be able to hear them at their best, but they're worth every penny if you want epic sound on the go. The synergy with the ESS Sabre 9218 DAC in my LG V20 is incredible.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,814 of 1,852
I originally posted M50x as my regret cans. However, since I modded them I've been enjoying them as my travel cans. I stuffed the driver cavity with some fill, installed HM5 pads (installed them past the slot you normally install the pads into, this way it made the pads more shallow, bringing back some bass) & I glued an HD600 headband to the underside of the stock headband.
Now they are extremely comfortable, the sound signature is nice & I can toss them in a bag with no worries. They isolate well & run off practically no power. But paired with my Fiio E11 (EQ setting 2) & they make for a fun V shaped closer can :)
No more regrets on them for me for the price!!

At home tho my lightly modded HD600 & Crack+SB are the obvious go too!!

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,815 of 1,852
Beyer DT880, utter crap... very bright and the headband is just a no no... very fatiguing in both comfort and sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back