Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 10, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #1,787 of 1,852
I can comfortably say that I never regretted buying any headphone I have - however I must admit that most likely has to do with the fact that I usually bought them on sale, second hand or after testing it and therefore got a good deal or was sure the headphones are worth the price - which was limiting buyers remorse quite a bit :)

The only "useless headphone purchase" I ever did was buying a second HD580 over 15 years ago, because I liked it so much and wanted a back up in case the headphone breaks or wears out. This never happened and my HD580 is still almost like new, so I still have a never used HD580 in a box in my office...
For a second I thought about selling it, but then I every time smile when I look at it so since I kept it for so long I might as well keep it even longer and inherit it to my kids one day :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #1,788 of 1,852
Ultrasone Pro900.

Reason: mids lost in a jungle

Conclusion: returned

May 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,789 of 1,852
Id say the M50. Theyre not bad, but after buying them, I found I dont like closed headphones too much. I use them in the gym when Im not doing anything too intensive. I get the urge to listen to them every now and then but not often.

May 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,791 of 1,852
AKG K240. Bought them to replace my broken (highly used for several years) DT770 Pro's. Man was that a mistake, as soon as I put them on and hit play I instantly regretted getting them. They might be fine on their own but when compared to a much better pair of cans, they aren't that impressive. Needless to say I bought another pair of DT770's and have been happy ever since!

May 12, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,792 of 1,852
Definitely my worst regret in buying headphones would be the beyerdynamic T70: Piercing highs and absolutely no bass impact or weight. What a waste of $600...

May 12, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #1,793 of 1,852
JVC HAS400. I too jumped on that carbon nanotube bandwagon. Maybe I should have looked in the mirror more often. Bought them in white thinking they would be cool. Only thing worse than how they looked on my head, was how they sounded. Bad. Very bad. I think Beats stole their sound signature - It's All About That Bass. Treble sounded like the headphones were under my pillow and my head was not there with them. Mids? Fuggetaboutit. They actually made my Wall of Shame! I felt so guilty when trying to think about selling them to someone, for a loss no less, that I rolled them up in a brown paper bag and put them on a high shelf in the garage, never to be seen or heard from again.

May 12, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,794 of 1,852
JVC HAS400. I too jumped on that carbon nanotube bandwagon. Maybe I should have looked in the mirror more often. Bought them in white thinking they would be cool. Only thing worse than how they looked on my head, was how they sounded. Bad. Very bad. I think Beats stole their sound signature - It's All About That Bass. Treble sounded like the headphones were under my pillow and my head was not there with them. Mids? Fuggetaboutit. They actually made my Wall of Shame! I felt so guilty when trying to think about selling them to someone, for a loss no less, that I rolled them up in a brown paper bag and put them on a high shelf in the garage, never to be seen or heard from again.

If they were that bad, I would have burned that paper bag

May 13, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #1,795 of 1,852
May 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #1,796 of 1,852
It's really interesting to see how much personal tastes differ and how some people seem to dislike headphones I actually quite like. Especially the K701/702's and also the MS1's are mentioned quite a few times at the beginning of this thread, of which I think that their price/performance ratio is actually pretty good.
I suspect a lot of buyers remorse based on too high expectations on these pages.

May 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,797 of 1,852
Gotta say it would probably be my Ultrasone HFI-580s. After a point the clamping pressure was too much for me. And after about a year, the pleather on the ear pads started getting a bit stiff for my comfort. Great sound though. Minimal regret, but still the most regret I've had with headphones.

May 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,798 of 1,852
It's really interesting to see how much personal tastes differ and how some people seem to dislike headphones I actually quite like. Especially the K701/702's and also the MS1's are mentioned quite a few times at the beginning of this thread, of which I think that their price/performance ratio is actually pretty good.
I suspect a lot of buyers remorse based on too high expectations on these pages.

True...tastes differ for sure. Haven't heard the K701/702s...but love my Q701s.

May 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,799 of 1,852

I had buyers remorse when I once believed that you need to spend 5-10x the price of speakers to achieve the same quality as the 5-10x cheaper headphones. Thus I bought mid-fi headphones costing up to 400 USD (K712, HD650) hoping I can get the sound/clarity etc of a 2000 USD speaker. But then when I bought the HS7 (400 USD/pair at the time) since I wanted to upgrade my computer speakers, I was astounded that it out-detailed and outperformed in terms of PRAT these mid-fi headphones. Thus I only pursue mid-fi IEMs for now as speakers are better for me at home while IEMs and NC headphones are for travel.

May 13, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,800 of 1,852
Sennheizer HD800S.

Not because they are bad. I really want the Focal Utopia but there is no way in hell the wife was going for me dropping $4000 on headphones, even $3000 used was not going to happen.

My theory... Buy HD800S, then when the time was right, sell those and buy the Focal Utopia with much less impact to the bank account.

Problem, my wife loves the HD800S and would not let me part with them. So here I am again not being able to justify the hit to the bank account due the Utopia headphones heh.

-Ray

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back