Headphones you regretted buying the most
Dec 12, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,742 of 1,852
  For me? Without a doubt: Fostex T50RP MK3

Ooh, victim of the bandwagon? What was wrong with them?

all the moster turbine series. Blacks, gold, copper. All broken within a year.

I love the original Monster Turbine. I'm just glad mine never broke. For a IEM of their price range, they really ought to be durable!

Can't really say that I regretted buying anything. All of the headphones I have purchased helped me figure out what sound signature I like. 

Same with me. All of the headphones I've listened to have had some really good points, even if I didn't fancy them. ..Except for that one can. You know, if the M50x came with Kung Fu Panda, I would have felt a bit better about it.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,744 of 1,852
My Fostex T50RP was not a hit. I wanted to do the thunderpants so I sent them back then kind of forget all about it. So I payed extra shipping to US for it. It was interesting to listen to for sure but not all that good tbh. Awful comfort but my first planar so had some fun with it anyway. And maybe the thunderpants was a killer. Will never know :p

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #1,746 of 1,852
I regret buying Grado RS1e. I love the brand but the sound from these, while detailed and lovely in many ways, was just too biting for my aural comfort.

I have never owned a Sony headphone that wasn't stupidly overpowered in the bass. I bought my son Beats Pros and those had this overemphasized bass too. A lot of folks like that I guess.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,747 of 1,852
I regret buying Grado RS1e. I love the brand but the sound from these, while detailed and lovely in many ways, was just too biting for my aural comfort.

I have never owned a Sony headphone that wasn't stupidly overpowered in the bass. I bought my son Beats Pros and those had this overemphasized bass too. A lot of folks like that I guess.

I own an assortment of headphones including one pair of Sony cans just for those times I want that stupid bass. Nothing I would use for critical listening or nothing I would use daily but once in awhile I just want that deep bass and my Sony's provide that nicely. Sony do have headphones that don't overemphasize the bass. My old V6 actually lacked bass but were still wonderful sounding.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #1,748 of 1,852
My worst purchase was the acs Encore, lots of money for a ciem that never fit right (sent it back multiple times), and has a disappointing, rolled off sounds signature.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #1,750 of 1,852
Sennheiser HD25 - i THOUGHT i was getting a huge $100 deal on a pair of HD25-1s, not knowing it was a completely different headphone with virtually no bass to speak of. B&H photo gave me a no hassle refund, but they really whet my appetite for their (stupidly, almost same named) bigger brothers because they had REALLY nice effortless sound except for the lack of bass, were extra comfortable, light, and virtually indestructible. i really liked their styling, though i would have preferred a solid soft plastic headband. it was really disappointing sending them back as i'm just not ready to spend $200+ on headphones yet. they really made me sad i just can't afford hi end cans, and HD25-1s are probably what i'd get because they're high efficiency and have a reputation for bass. i've already experienced their ergonomics. HD25s were such a tease to own, shy the extra -1 at twice the price.

AKG K55 - impressed me for some reason at the music store where i bought them, but after living with them, i grew annoyed with their lightweight sealed plastic sound signature and especially for how painful they were to wear for extended periods of time

Samson SR850 - actually, a VERY nice sounding, cheap headphone i got along with a FREE large diaphragm mic, but was always annoyed that they lacked bass big time, had terrible isolation and too long of a cord as i bought them for portable use, and they had really low efficiency. they'd really make great studio/broadcast headphones, but just aren't bus ride/dance music friendly.

$20 JVC "extra bass" headphones. i had to take them back the next day and exchange them for the sonys because their poorly designed headband dug into the top of my skull making them excruciating to wear

Sony MDR-X150 i have issues with sony spanning a bunch of products and only traded to these because i absolutely needed headphones, and the only other over the ear ones i could find locally were over $50 with no way to audition them, unless they were crappy $200+ beats. i made sure to try them on BEFORE buying them, but they lived up to their price point as low grade disposable junk that went dead in under 6 months, and continues my experience with sony gear breaking. i had a CD walkman break within a WEEK of its 90 day warranty when the bearing in the CD clamp popped out so it could no longer hold discs and got sony's typical "it sucks to be you, thanks for your money sucker!" when i WANTED to buy an impossible to find panasonic instead.

since then, i bought a used pair of presonus HD7s whose headband recently shredded and just bought a NICE pair of superlux 681 EVOs to replace those and am VERY happy with my $40 purchase! they have possibly the deepest bass and best sound of anything i've ever owned, save maybe the bassless HD25s i had a week, have a 3 meter swappable cord making them much more portable friendly than MOST serious cans, extra velour pads i might swap some day, seem reasonably durable, and despite a little bit of extra clamping force, aren't uncomfortable even wearing glasses as it gets distributed across the large "AKG pads" and i like the simple understated design, though i'd prefer losing the gloss & chrome. i'm quite happy with my last headphone purchase and feel no pressing need to upgrade, and their sound only gets better as i've put a dozen hours into breaking them in so far.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,752 of 1,852
AKG Q701. Bought without audition due to stellar reviews. It was so harsh my eardrums would start to ache after listening to music for 30 minutes.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #1,753 of 1,852
 AKG Q701. Bought without audition due to stellar reviews. It was so harsh my eardrums would start to ache after listening to music for 30 minutes.

never trust a review!

that's how i got suckered into buying mission M71 & energy RC10 (REALLY great drivers) "entry level" speakers that sound CRAPPY when you plug their crappy 5/8" MDF cabinet ports and turn the boxy up.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,755 of 1,852
AT M50x. Not because I think they are objectively bad (somewhat fatiguing and bright perhaps), but because I could have bought my current pair, Nad Viso Hp-50, for the same price used. The Nads are clearly two steps above the AT.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back