Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,546 of 1,852
The obscenely overhyped JVC HA-S400 (carbon nanotube drivers) were a big disappointment.  I can't believe the size of the thread on these absolutely mediocre, boxy sounding headphones.  I tried modding them, I really wanted to like them, but alas, they were no good.  Every time I listened to anything on them was a disappointment.  Hollow mids, closed in, no detail, monotone bass.  They went loud without distortion, that was their only plus.

Would have to be my #2 regret...they're OK, but my Superluxes blow them away for $2 more

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,548 of 1,852
Yep, the HE-6 takes the prize... returned for refund.  Just piss poor in quality / quality control not something anyone should have to consider when spending that amount of money.  Very happy with my T1s and found their signature to be more magical then the HE-6 as well.  Took lots of burn-in however to fully open them up.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,550 of 1,852
I had a feeling about those.

I did hear that the WA2 amp sounds really good with them.

I partially attribute my disappointment with the T1 to the ancillary equipment I was using when I owned them (even though lots of people seem to enjoy Beyers with the V200 and Burson Soloist). Perhaps the WA2 would have transformed them completely, but I can't see them ever matching up to the planars I've become accustomed to - regardless of amp and DAC. I don't think they're in the same league as the LCD-2 or even the considerably cheaper HE-500. The LCD-XC is in a different class altogether.

Just my opinion. Not fact.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,552 of 1,852
I always wanted to try HD-650.

imagine a more open lcd2 with less sub bass, better attack and drums, slightly less transparent/refined, more vivid, less neutral. but with that lcd x i am sure you don't need to. 

imo moving up from the hd650 to the he500 is a side grade or slight upgrade.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,553 of 1,852
I always wanted to try HD-650.

Owned them twice. Very euphonic and quite mid centric. Limited soundstage. Despite all that, a very pleasant and satisfying listening experience. Not in the same technical league with the LCD2 and above headphones, but definitely one of the references at their price point.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,554 of 1,852
imagine a more open lcd2 with less sub bass, better attack and drums, slightly less transparent/refined, more vivid, less neutral. but with that lcd x i am sure you don't need to. 

imo moving up from the hd650 to the he500 is a side grade or slight upgrade.

Well I've not heard them so I can't comment on that. I'd just like to try them out because of their legendary status in these forums. Same applies to the HD-600 and some of the AKG headphones. I've not heard any of the old classics apart from the SR325

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,557 of 1,852
  with the HE-6 return (plus a bit more :wink: ) I just pulled the trigger on both the LCD-X & XC to compliment my T1 & T5p... sure hope they don't join this thread as well :wink:

I think you'll love them and I worry for your T1 and T5p. 
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,558 of 1,852
grado gs 1000i. still own them, and I have not listened to them for more than a year. they were my first grados and my last.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,560 of 1,852
AKG Q701 - frustrating (HUGELY) balance of strengths and weaknesses. Sound stage good. Handling of percussive sounds excellent. Timbre impoverished. Treble glare incurable.

UPDATE - The Lehmann Linear SE helps a lot with the treble on the Q701s... the timbre is still an issue for me. It's not a question of wanting something more lush and warm, it's a question of wanting instruments and voices to sound like they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back