Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 4, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #4,846 of 12,596
Mar 4, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #4,848 of 12,596
I agree.
If fit is at all imperfect you are ****ed and the resale value is small. Universal is the way to go....IMO
If today was 2008 when the only iem with four BA drivers came only in custom and all the universals had only two drivers except for two companies. So in that case yeah the custom route was the choice to make. Now days one can get 10, 12 ,14 drivers in their universal iem. Also with universals one can alter the sound by experimenting with tips.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,849 of 12,596
Still haven't tried a CIEM myself, and those are good points, but I always find tips a little frustrating and some IEMs can be rather uncomfortable- I know there are some people who have given up on IEMs altogether because they can't find a good fit, maybe customs wouldn't work for them either but it's an option. Also getting a custom version of something a person already has- like some people have done with the 2.5's- seems like a relatively safe bet. Maybe getting a couple sets of custom tips for small medium and large universal iem nozzles might work out too.

Anyway if someone were set on getting a CIEM but didn't really know what they wanted and didn't have an opportunity to audition the universal versions, it seems like something as customizable as the FLC8s would be a great option.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #4,850 of 12,596
Still haven't tried a CIEM myself, and those are good points, but I always find tips a little frustrating and some IEMs can be rather uncomfortable- I know there are some people who have given up on IEMs altogether because they can't find a good fit, maybe customs wouldn't work for them either but it's an option. Also getting a custom version of something a person already has- like some people have done with the 2.5's- seems like a relatively safe bet. Maybe getting a couple sets of custom tips for small medium and large universal iem nozzles might work out too.

Anyway if someone were set on getting a CIEM but didn't really know what they wanted and didn't have an opportunity to audition the universal versions, it seems like something as customizable as the FLC8s would be a great option.
Custom iems doesnt mean easy fit and less problems. For example the shape of ones inner ear. If one has a sharp turn compared to most which have a slight curve then getting the custom in and out will require more work more effort. Some times when a custom is in perfectly just chewing gum can cause a loss of isolation. If one grows or gains weigh pow guess what ? Then got to get another impression and redo it. Now I have seen some ciem users and they had just a slight inner curve so when they put their custom earpiece it seemed they just pushed it right on with no turning involved.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #4,851 of 12,596
But to give customs some merit, if they do fit well... they sound and isolate amazing.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #4,852 of 12,596
But to give customs some merit, if they do fit well... they sound and isolate amazing.
They do and I had HAD 12 ciems now I have one left. Interestingly I just left the ear doctor with my set of ear impressions for my LAST ciem.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #4,853 of 12,596
If you have sensitive ears canal, customs are the way to go. When you move, run, jump, they stay put. Isolation is also better. Before my first customs, I wasn't a believer, I took a chance on aaw h3pro from massdrop, it's safe to say I'll never go back to universal again. But that is just my experience, others may differ. Speaking of bass, I have never heard bass as powerful as the aaw a3hpro amped with bass boost on. It's like a hammer and some. I'll be attending the upcoming can jam in Newport to audition other monitors to compare to what I have. I hope my wallet don't get empty by then.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4,854 of 12,596
If you have sensitive ears canal, customs are the way to go. When you move, run, jump, they stay put. Isolation is also better. Before my first customs, I wasn't a believer, I took a chance on aaw h3pro from massdrop, it's safe to say I'll never go back to universal again. But that is just my experience, others may differ. Speaking of bass, I have never heard bass as powerful as the aaw a3hpro amped with bass boost on. It's like a hammer and some. I'll be attending the upcoming can jam in Newport to audition other monitors to compare to what I have. I hope my wallet don't get empty by then.
Dont see them on the list.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #4,855 of 12,596
Just got my XB90EX, but I'm not that impressed, and the cable is crappy. Overall the sound clarity is pretty good, but I thought it would be bass monsters based on the hype of this thread. Doesn't get as loud or hit as hard at my FX850 still. Is it source dependent? Just using iPhone 6 Plus or Fiio K1. Might just have to buy an Over The Ear headphone for maximum bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #4,856 of 12,596
Just got my XB90EX, but I'm not that impressed, and the cable is crappy. Overall the sound clarity is pretty good, but I thought it would be bass monsters based on the hype of this thread. Doesn't get as loud or hit as hard at my FX850 still. Is it source dependent? Just using iPhone 6 Plus or Fiio K1. Might just have to buy an Over The Ear headphone for maximum bass.

First it needs 200 hrs of breaking in. Second how much power you have ? A Phone sucks it has minamal power. The 90ex needs power. What tips you using ?

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #4,857 of 12,596

blink.gif

... well, definitely buy an over-ear for maximum bass, but I have had both and would suggest your sources are suboptimal for driving the Sony if the fx850 is hitting harder- idk k1 from iphone, but if you indeed read 'the hype' on this thread it's been pretty consistently stated xb90ex needs a certain type of power to be at its best, and that's only scratching potential without playing with EQ/dsp/amp boosts.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #4,858 of 12,596
how about we talk about ear tips that have best bass response, which ones do you use and how is the fit and comfort

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #4,859 of 12,596

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/48/parameters

You don't even have enough amp power for the xb90 so maybe you buy an amp before anything else.
Owned the Fx850. I'm a big JVC fanboy. 16mm on juice beats the JVC.

We are ...some of us....bassheads. This gear is not basshead ...we make it basshead just like car audio using amps and eq.

My Mojo goes to 685mW into 16 ohm and you got 75mW max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back