Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 4, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #4,861 of 12,596
  how about we talk about ear tips that have best bass response, which ones do you use and how is the fit and comfort

I read once that narrow bores can attenuate higher frequencies which might be helpful for bass, haven't really AB experimented myself- imagine having the best possible seal and isolation is also good for bass?

I mostly find myself going back to the usual suspects- Sony hybrids, JVC Spiral Dots. Aurisonics tips get the best seal because they basically stick to the skin, but need a good detent or lip to keep from pulling off in ear.

Earsonics biflanges are a little too big for me but isolate very well, its an odd nozzle size, I think Sony are the only other IEMs I've used that are similar- will have to try them together

Have only used a few with the narrow nozzle- mainly my Future Sonics G10- the future sonics foams are very nice but I've been using Westone Star silcone and foam tips I think the bass is better with- the westone foams are kind of dense, and seal better than the more porous foam FS tips and Complys I have tried.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #4,862 of 12,596
This was interesting.
http://samplerateconverter.com/content/why-we-cant-comparing-different-audio-formats

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #4,863 of 12,596
This was interesting.
http://samplerateconverter.com/content/why-we-cant-comparing-different-audio-formats

Being a recording engineer I don't buy it 100% but there is some validity to what he sad. I actually thought the file format is barely relevant -for instance you have have 100different kinds of lossless audio format that will sound identical to a CD, therefore the ADC and DAC's involved in the recording come into play more. However, it's absurd to limit what you listen to based on what the ADC the original musician used to record a song. In fact there is lots of stuff made on cheap-as-dirt gear that we listen to all the time!

I agree with him mostly on his first point that comparing different sources (analog, DSD, hi res, cd, mp3 whatever) is definitely going to be problematic but I persnally believe the problem lies more in the discrepancy between analog vs. hi-res audio vs. MP3 audio.

That said I always test with either FLAC of my own CD rips or MP3 cause that's what I'm going to be listening to anyway.

PS I agree with HBB that that guy isn't impressed by his XB90EX cause he doesn't have amp power. 75mA is NOTHING!!! >100mA is good for iBuds and Portapros and nothing else IMO.

Never owned one but I always hear a lot of good about the CAYIN C5 as a portable and cheap amp to push the power you need.

@thejammonster I can not wait to see your custom 2.5's, very jealous, INCREDIBLY tempting but I have to keep telling myself what i REALLY need are those custom KL REF's!

(edit: maybe we should change the thread title to "The Best IEMs for Bass are.... (you own an amp, right?)"

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #4,864 of 12,596
  how about we talk about ear tips that have best bass response, which ones do you use and how is the fit and comfort

I find the Klipsch oval tips to be really nice. Has the best seal of any I've tried. Not sure if they would fit any other IEM, as they are patented 
Edit:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/576757/klipsch-oval-ear-tip-compatibility-or-other-similar-tips
looks like they do fit others

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #4,865 of 12,596
comply or sony hybrid, but i need ss size sony hybrids lol.

Just wanted to point out if you use a phone or unamped DAP as a source you will get better results from ASG 1.5

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #4,867 of 12,596
comply or sony hybrid, but i need ss size sony hybrids lol.

Just wanted to point out if you use a phone or unamped DAP as a source you will get better results from ASG 1.5

Same with my Klipsch R6. Well, I guess that makes since.... If you read the about part of their website they try to create extremely efficient speakers that require much less power

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4,871 of 12,596
Sony Hybrid is my fave. I have had brief stints with others but I really like those mint hybrid "L"

I recently starting using them, they are damn good. Spiral Dot's are my other favs, probably my favorite.

I also enjoy the stock RHA silicon tips, surprisingly good for stock.

Every time I watch one of HBB's review videos I am more and more tempted to get the Mojo. Sigh, I guess it was inevitable.

Anyone wanting an Arrow 5TX? :wink:

Is that the super bass one? Not that I need another amp, but I've heard great things about them. I definitely want a few more amps.

MOJO, new Fiio Q5, and the RHA amp/dac, which has adjustable bass and treble.

Add that to my list of wants... Tralucent Ref 1 Too, hopefully can make a deal next week on, business has been good finally!! And, of course, Fiio X7, rooted with V4A and the new more powerful amp mod. Should be heavenly.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4,872 of 12,596
I recently starting using them, they are damn good. Spiral Dot's are my other favs, probably my favorite.

I also enjoy the stock RHA silicon tips, surprisingly good for stock.
Is that the super bass one? Not that I need another amp, but I've heard great things about them. I definitely want a few more amps.

MOJO, new Fiio Q5, and the RHA amp/dac, which has adjustable bass and treble.

Add that to my list of wants... Tralucent Ref 1 Too, hopefully can make a deal next week on, business has been good finally!! And, of course, Fiio X7, rooted with V4A and the new more powerful amp mod. Should be heavenly.

I got spiral dots that should be here any day now as well as S and SS size hybrids on the way. Somehow i lost a single SS single tip.

Yeah the one I have is the super bass one. The only thing stopping me from buying a Mojo right this second is I'm not sure exactly how I'd use it on the go, since as you saw in my post in the Mojo thread, Blackberry doesn't do digital out.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #4,873 of 12,596
I bought the W50 thus I am selling my MDR-7550 I've only owned for a day.

I think the 7550 represents a good value for the current street price (under $200 USD) but its not worth the price I paid for IMHO ($350). The 7550/EX800ST are great IEMs don't get me wrong but they do not have enough bass for me, even when the port taped, I tried all tips including some comply ones with the same result so fit is not an issue. They are also a bit brittle sounding in the treble section which sometimes lead to some splashiness.

The caveat is that the MDR-7550 has the best bass EXTENSION I've heard on any IEM, including the Z5 and W50, however, the quantity was not enough and the Z5 and W50 are very very close in terms of bass depth.

I would rate them as this:

Bass Quantity: Z5 > W50 > 7550
Bass Depth/Extension: 7550 > Z5 > W50
Detail/Imaging/Clarity/Technical Performance: Z5 > W50 > 7550.

That said, still great IEMs, just not for me. Plus the isolation is abysmal when I am walking around or commuting.

I have my practically "brand new" MDR-7550s for sale. Still comes with original warranty and I can provide the receipt. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #4,874 of 12,596
The only thing that pisses me off about the ASG-B is i don't own several.

Man there is still mid detail but you want treble? give up. these aren't for you.

Don't buy the ASG-B unless you play bass or DJ on stage or

I'm serious about the on stage part btw. Don't buy these just if you like genres DJ spein. Only buy these if you either literally only care about sub 1kHz response, can't deal with treble at all, or are actually using them as stage monitors.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #4,875 of 12,596

Bass Quantity: Z5 > W50 > 7550
Bass Depth/Extension: 7550 > Z5 > W50
Detail/Imaging/Clarity/Technical Performance: Z5 > W50 > 7550.

That said, still great IEMs, just not for me. Plus the isolation is abysmal when I am walking around or commuting.

I have my practically "brand new" MDR-7550s for sale. Still comes with original warranty and I can provide the receipt. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I just changed the title of this thread to include "head" .

I owned the Z5 via trade and the W50 is 5 BA drivers. The 7550 are 500mW and 16mm.  Sadly unlike the utter destruction of the over ear bass kings myth on Head -fi 2 years ago by simple replicable demonstration that was done by folks around the planet and uploaded to youtube....the IEM can get no such treatment.

Clarity of the Z5 is pretty terrible and surpassed by the cheaper A2.  The bass is not on par with the ASG 2.5 which I just traded as after

The 2.5 and the 7550/800 running Bass Mekaniks at the same time.  Same time.

I am not being rude but at the end of the day this is about bass. You are saying the Z5 has more bass??? The Z5 has a max power input of 100mW. That is 1/5th of the 7550. Only when amping does this spec really show it's face. And I amp....and it shows it's face.

The specs and my own reality don't reflect your impression.

Folks said the Sony Z7 would give the SZ a run for it's money...I said show me this:

This is a mild demo compared to others and it never happened....the Z7 owner never replied.

Never happened

If I could demo the 7550/800 it would be followed by a never gonna happen reply from Z5

16mm 500mw v.s. 16mm with 2 BA modules right in front of the diaphragm  and a much lower power input ceiling ...1/5th. The W50 is not even gonna be responded to.

There are a few bassheads, jmills,jammonster,vapman warrior1975,gikigil and some others but most folks like bass. Basshead and liking bass are not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back