Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 2, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4,816 of 12,591
Sad but true.

:} what amp the ak 380amp, man they should call it the ak brick accessory that fooled everyone

the ak amp does not even drive the sony z5 iem :)

but since my u12 is easy to drive so the ak380 amp is fine and sounds amazing with ak380+amp

when i say it does not drive it, i do not mean it does not get loud, i mean that when i raise the volume it can be shouty as hell, compared to good amp like the 5tx or others mentioned here, that keep the dynamics and quality of the sound sig intact

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #4,818 of 12,591
Thank You!! @Hawaiibadboy

I'll Try it!!

Irvine

Quote:

Using classic rock with hard to resolve guitar this turned out the best. (Neutron)

Using a 10 band slider...

31 +3    62 +2.5    250 -1   500 -.5   1k 0  2k -.5  4k +2  8k -2  10k +2 16k +2

Cutting 250 makes snappier bass on kick drum

Pulling 8k reduces any simbilance (usually occurs between 6.5 and 9k..roughly)

Raising up 10 and beyond widens stage gives air and most music info is not even that high but if it is you'll catch it. simbilance really is pre 10k and often 8k

This is my opinion

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #4,819 of 12,591
Finally got a chance to plug the ASG-B into my Project Polaris. This was the amp I thought brought the 2.5's to a whole new level that brought a level of immersion I didn't know IEMs were capable of.

The ASG-B is somehow even darker out of the Polaris, it's crazy. No veil but everything else is definitely "behind" that massive bass.

So how about the bass, huh? Even at low volume it'll DESTROY you.

One day with the ASG-B has confirmed that a well amped ASG-B is the same effect as being locked in the truck of a '74 Chevy loaded up with subs. It is not for those who value clarity across all frequencies. It is strictly for those who are willing to blow their eardrums out with sub bass.

edit: More bass than the 2.5 was capable of. I stand by this claim 100%. It's quantity wise similar to the KL-REF at max bass but the KL-REF was more refined (you'd hope so for $299 vs 105k yen)

edit 2: When you get more used to the ASG-B's incredibly dark sound signature you realize it is still actually incredibly detailed, but damn, does the bass slam!

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #4,821 of 12,591

edit 2: When you get more used to the ASG-B's incredibly dark sound signature you realize it is still actually incredibly detailed, but damn, does the bass slam!

I believe all of it. A single dynamic driver can do wonderful things while a hybrid is very tricks.  If the driver is the same and there is no other BA drivers in the way I would expect the single driver to be supreme with the bass.

my current fav'e are single drivers and I have sold my 2 hybrids.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #4,822 of 12,591
I've had lots of nice IEMS, ba, dd, hybrids, but I have to say the Sony is one of my favorites. The Xb90ex is really an amazing piece of kit. Going from memory, it made me smile more than all of my IEMS, except 2...

First was my Heir 8.a. My first real iem purchase. Prior to that, I thought $50 IEMS were expensive. So, obviously that had the biggest impression possible. Still love them to this day.

2nd, Tralucent Ref 1. Hard to say as I'm going from memory, but the Ref 1 was my favorite IEM ever. I believe the Sony beats it in bass, although I don't believe by much (quantity) but the overall sound Mas pure magic to me. I miss that damn thing everyday. Only thing I've sold that I regret. It will be mine again, and soon.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #4,824 of 12,591
I've had lots of nice IEMS, ba, dd, hybrids, but I have to say the Sony is one of my favorites. The Xb90ex is really an amazing piece of kit. Going from memory, it made me smile more than all of my IEMS, except 2...

First was my Heir 8.a. My first real iem purchase. Prior to that, I thought $50 IEMS were expensive. So, obviously that had the biggest impression possible. Still love them to this day.

2nd, Tralucent Ref 1. Hard to say as I'm going from memory, but the Ref 1 was my favorite IEM ever. I believe the Sony beats it in bass, although I don't believe by much (quantity) but the overall sound Mas pure magic to me. I miss that damn thing everyday. Only thing I've sold that I regret. It will be mine again, and soon.
Nice thoughts but $1600 Vs $90 says a lot !!!

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #4,825 of 12,591
Ok, I had a good 30-45mins with the 7550s.

Both from ZX1 and PHA-3, the 7550 has very good bass texture and great sub-bass extension. However, I find them a bit lacking quantity for my taste.

Also, I absolutely HATE the earguides.

Let me try the tape mod, perhaps it will increase the bass significantly?

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #4,826 of 12,591
Nice thoughts but $1600 Vs $90 says a lot !!!

Lol. True. I try not to think about price much and just enjoy. That's very difficult though, not so much because of the high price of iems, as that's more the norm unfortunately, but due to the lower price of the Sony. It's hard to believe it's so inexpensive.

Ironically, since 2 years ago I would have thought $85 for IEMS was very expensive.

I can't even blame head-fi for that, IIRC I found Heir Audio prior to Head-Fi.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #4,827 of 12,591
  Ok, I had a good 30-45mins with the 7550s.

Both from ZX1 and PHA-3, the 7550 has very good bass texture and great sub-bass extension. However, I find them a bit lacking quantity for my taste.

Also, I absolutely HATE the earguides.

Let me try the tape mod, perhaps it will increase the bass significantly?

Tape it poke a single pin hole

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #4,829 of 12,591
for me the first ever expensive iem was the shure 846, and i was struck by it, as how this tiny thing can give this sound.

then moved on to sony xba z5 it was not something I would rave about

then bought few new good ones like the xb90xe, asg 2.5, sennheiser momentum all are good to me

then came the bombshell the 64Audio U12, I bought it off from ebay and it was listed at 1000 USD , so I contacted the guy several times but he was not relying, I thought it was a hoax, I even showed that add to warrior 1975, and i kept sending the seller messages, and finally he replied and we closed the deal on 950 USD imagine. 

So I go home power up my ak380 and amp, and insert the u12, what a feeling that was to me it really was jaw dropping. I love the U12 so so so so much, it got all I need in the right balance from bass to mids to highs.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #4,830 of 12,591

Oh man, I had no idea what I was saying... I put in the tape and 1 hole and that did it. However, it looked really ghetto on the IEMs so I took it off.

I had another good listen and I told myself What was I saying before... Please disregard my last post. These have plenty of bass, even without the tape. I turned up my ClearBass to +1 only and that immediately did it. The bass extension on these is incredible, better than the Z5 IMO. 

Maybe I will try transparent tape. The tape I used was Magic tape from Scotch and it was matte... looked very weird on the IEMs lol.

It will bass hump your ear drum like a ************. I am a basshead and these are my favorite IEM. Tape can be ghetto and that cable sucks ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back