Grado modders go Magnum
Oct 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,926 of 4,994
The stock Grado headband / gimbals will fit with precision on those cups. The person who Cabillas used to cut the cups, did so with great precision. I never tried the G-cushion on the Magnum. I really like them on the PS-500 though. So, you bought the G-cush (the large bowls?). They are quite comfortable in my time that I've spent with them.

I placed an order earlier for the G-Cush and the L-Cush knock-offs that are made by Zonk and sold via Amazon a bit earlier today. I know some people have responded that they have had some interesting experiences with them from fit issues to other possible issues. But, I thought I'd take the plunge as it would be interesting to find a pair of the L-Cush variety with a slight be of more comfort.

I always wanted to try the G-cushion before but their price is a little number in Canada (65$ + tx at the local audio shop). So when I found a deal for a pair that had been used for a few hours only for cheap, I jumped on them.

I may end up going back to L-cushion but at least I will have tried the bagels :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,927 of 4,994
Well here we go, music to my ears!

Not the final build but already these bad boys are blowing me away. Stock Grado headband, reverse quarter mod comfies, cabillas cup and canare cable.

The fit of the X drivers in the cup was great. After sanding the interior of the cups, all I had to do was put one layer of electrical tape around the drivers and slowly pushed them in for a tight fit.

Like I said in my earlier post, I still want to try a different headband and pads but as they are now, they are pretty impressive.

Sounded great in my Onkyo receiver, Clip+ and LD MK III. Only issue was a slight buzz in one of the driver when the volume was all the way down on the LD amp but I have a feeling it's because it's currently setup with high gain to drive my 600 ohms Beyers. No buzz from any other sources I tried.

Here's a pic taken with my cell phone in poor light condition (hence the flash). The cups are a lot darker than on that picture.

Thanks to Wayne for his help and tips for this build.

Edit: found the issue with the buzz on my LD MK III. Turns out the cleaning lady was a bit zealous and moved one of the power tubes a bit! Put it back properly and all is well now. I need a sign that says, DO NOT TOUCH THE TUBES :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,929 of 4,994
I caught the post a few days back when Currawong was looking to have some wooden rings turned so that they could be inserted into the circular channel where the lettering currently resides on the outer Grado cups.  Having a bit of thought in this over the past evening came a possible idea.  I think turning them with a lathe could present a few issues, depending on the wood, how the grain will keep the piece together, etc.

My thought was that some veneer could be used.  A template with the circular pattern could be used to cut the veneer pieces. Then, one could be 3, 4 or 5 layers of veneer together to allow the insert to stick out a bit and stand proud on the outside of the cups.

I may look into a veneer vendor to see what's available and potentially try this option for the spare pair of Allesandro MS1i headphones at home.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2,930 of 4,994
  I caught the post a few days back when Currawong was looking to have some wooden rings turned so that they could be inserted into the circular channel where the lettering currently resides on the outer Grado cups.  Having a bit of thought in this over the past evening came a possible idea.  I think turning them with a lathe could present a few issues, depending on the wood, how the grain will keep the piece together, etc.

My thought was that some veneer could be used.  A template with the circular pattern could be used to cut the veneer pieces. Then, one could be 3, 4 or 5 layers of veneer together to allow the insert to stick out a bit and stand proud on the outside of the cups.

I may look into a veneer vendor to see what's available and potentially try this option for the spare pair of Allesandro MS1i headphones at home.

Along those lines, there's nothing stopping someone from sanding down the lettering and gluing the veneer on there directly instead of multiple layers which may present its own challenges...

Process could be; remove the ring, sand the lettering, glue veneer on ring, cut out excess, stain/oil and glue back on. I've got some black walnut veneer and might give this a go, good idea Wayne.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,931 of 4,994

Along those lines, there's nothing stopping someone from sanding down the lettering and gluing the veneer on there directly instead of multiple layers which may present its own challenges...

Process could be; remove the ring, sand the lettering, glue veneer on ring, cut out excess, stain/oil and glue back on. I've got some black walnut veneer and might give this a go, good idea Wayne.

Nice!  I'm also wondering with the process of creating some classy wooden rings if some spare veneer could be utilized to apply a couple of layers inside the rounded area inside the cups.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,932 of 4,994
The circle is now complete, I present to you my finished pair of Magnum X headphones pimped out with Cabillas cups, Canare cable, G-cushion and Sony headband. Bonus points for the mix of acetone (removed the Sony lettering) and Grado pads smell.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,933 of 4,994
Nice work!

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2,934 of 4,994
The circle is now complete, I present to you my finished pair of Magnum X headphones pimped out with Cabillas cups, Canare cable, G-cushion and Sony headband. Bonus points for the mix of acetone (removed the Sony lettering) and Grado pads smell.

Sweet!  I guess you went out to chase down your parts.  LoL.  I hate when it's the end of a weekend and you get all the shipping notices that a package is at the post office and you can't get your stuff until Monday.  Rediculous!

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,935 of 4,994

I figured that might be difficult, given how thin they are. I took the rings out of one pair and was just going to pain the inside black until I could come up with a solution. If I had access to a 3D printer, that'd be perfect, as creating a new plastic ring, which I could then just paint with some kind of nice lacquer, would be perfect.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,937 of 4,994
Hooray...new Magnum X drivers arrived today...now I just need to get my aluminium RS1 style cups sorted. The guy who was meant to be machining them has been oddly elusive *sigh*.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,939 of 4,994
They are indeed...going aluminium more out of curiosity than anything else...want to see how the X drivers sound out of a PS1 knock-off enclosure...of course, it's hardly scientific. I won't have the same aluminium, exact dimensions,etc, etc...but it will be fun.

The way things are going though, I might be going woody again.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2,940 of 4,994
They are indeed...going aluminium more out of curiosity than anything else...want to see how the X drivers sound out of a PS1 knock-off enclosure...of course, it's hardly scientific. I won't have the same aluminium, exact dimensions,etc, etc...but it will be fun.

The way things are going though, I might be going woody again.

But surely Grado moved away from the full aluminium enclosure for a reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back