Grado modders go Magnum
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #2,957 of 4,994
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,960 of 4,994
Mine are in bottom half black limba and outer shell cocobolo, I like em! Inner limba cups were time staking to make though, especially without my lathe. Made em creatively with hole saws, a drill press and a upright belt sander. Soon I shall have a lathe again, at least a mini one from crap harbor freight

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,961 of 4,994
  I think there was a gentleman on here who did a comparison test between several different woods. He concluded that limba sounded the best. Unfortunately, it's expensive and time consuming to test all of these different woods.

does anyone know where the link for this is?

and yeah I'm sure it would be very expensive

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #2,962 of 4,994
so just for fun, i transferred the magnum drivers back into the grado sr80i plastic cups, inner and outer. I had to use tape to fit. And my verdict is, of course personal opinion, the wood cups, inner and outer, make a big enough difference for me to immediatley notice. Theres a nasty resonance, somehow, the sound just doesnt come out clean like it did in my limba shells. Maybe im hallucinating, I need to transfer them back and double check, but, the first song i listened to, i just thought, what the hell happened? 

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2,963 of 4,994

does anyone know where the link for this is?

and yeah I'm sure it would be very expensive

So a good start is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592921/cup-tuning-basics

Its 20 pages, but its has some items of interest buried in there.

This gentleman did a similar experiment, and his work appears to be similar to the first's, at least physically (I have not read the whole thread, just glossed over it):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601690/grado-sr60i-cup-tuning

From what I have heard (and this is all degenerating into myth, as some posts were deliberately scrubbed or removed later) is that Limba is the way to go, with a 1.25" cup length and thin walls. I have not, unfortunately, been able to personally verify this.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #2,964 of 4,994
It still wouldn't hurt to open up the communication channels at this time with Francesco Cabillas.  Start to get an idea as to what he has available, or will have available soon.

Finally managed to talk to the machinist...said he should be done with the aluminium cups Friday...I told him if it's a pain in the arse to feel free to drop the job, but he insisted, so back to patiently twiddling my thumbs...

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #2,965 of 4,994

So a good start is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592921/cup-tuning-basics

Its 20 pages, but its has some items of interest buried in there.

This gentleman did a similar experiment, and his work appears to be similar to the first's, at least physically (I have not read the whole thread, just glossed over it):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601690/grado-sr60i-cup-tuning

From what I have heard (and this is all degenerating into myth, as some posts were deliberately scrubbed or removed later) is that Limba is the way to go, with a 1.25" cup length and thin walls. I have not, unfortunately, been able to personally verify this.

thelostmidrange is the man. he actually is responsible for my magnum build...

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,966 of 4,994
He is indeed...I still see cups by him on builds here and there an the FS pages. Not sure why he suddenly lost interest and scrubbed all of his posts though...

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,967 of 4,994
He is indeed...I still see cups by him on builds here and there an the FS pages. Not sure why he suddenly lost interest and scrubbed all of his posts though...

he scrubbed all his posts? like deleted them? I just messaged him yesterday. check up to see what he's been up to 

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,968 of 4,994
Driver and headphone variability or whatever one wishes to call it, is the biggest source of confusion and explanation for some of the differing sound reports from various people, imo. Generally a 325i for example is a bright phone but there are degrees of it and some 325s aren't bright at all. Multiply this by all the other apects of sound (bass, mids, soundstage, etc)

This same phenomenon of variablity is there for the magnum and the soundmagic e30 (my two most owned phones- a dozen or more i've heard of the former and 6 of the latter). All anyone needs to do to verify is buy 5-10 sets of your favorite headphone and you'l likley find they sound different but still in the same 'genre'. I did this, not to find this fact out. the finding of this fact was an unexpected finding and responsible for alot of the deleted posts of mine. After learning this, certain posts were no longer accurate. It's that simple.....

The human hear is amazingly fine tuned and can sense the smallest of difference. I stand by my claim to this day that the magnum, even within versions, have dramatic differences from set to set, but can be categorized into a few categories. I suggested rydon attempt this but it likley was too much of a task and also one that alerts buyers to the fact of variation which is likely an issue for all headphone makers. I don't see it as a problem or liability, just an unavoidable fact of making anything. We shouldn't be surprised that a headphone and that sensitive ear that hears from it, wouldn't also 'suffer' from this fact/phenomena.....

This fact also muddies up anything related to cup design, cable factors etc and is a source of many innocent but misleading posts by all of us.....When it comes to headphones, my advice is when you find a particular phone that 'does it for you', hang on to that set because they have personalities.........alot like guitars or other musical instruments, which headphones are.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,969 of 4,994
  Driver and headphone variability or whatever one wishes to call it, is the biggest source of confusion and explanation for some of the differing sound reports from various people, imo. Generally a 325i for example is a bright phone but there are degrees of it and some 325s aren't bright at all. Multiply this by all the other apects of sound (bass, mids, soundstage, etc)

This same phenomenon of variablity is there for the magnum and the soundmagic e30 (my two most owned phones- a dozen or more i've heard of the former and 6 of the latter). All anyone needs to do to verify is buy 5-10 sets of your favorite headphone and you'l likley find they sound different but still in the same 'genre'. I did this, not to find this fact out. the finding of this fact was an unexpected finding and responsible for alot of the deleted posts of mine. After learning this, certain posts were no longer accurate. It's that simple.....

The human hear is amazingly fine tuned and can sense the smallest of difference. I stand by my claim to this day that the magnum, even within versions, have dramatic differences from set to set, but can be categorized into a few categories. I suggested rydon attempt this but it likley was too much of a task and also one that alerts buyers to the fact of variation which is likely an issue for all headphone makers. I don't see it as a problem or liability, just an unavoidable fact of making anything. We shouldn't be surprised that a headphone and that sensitive ear that hears from it, wouldn't also 'suffer' from this fact/phenomena.....

This fact also muddies up anything related to cup design, cable factors etc and is a source of many innocent but misleading posts by all of us.....When it comes to headphones, my advice is when you find a particular phone that 'does it for you', hang on to that set because they have personalities.........alot like guitars or other musical instruments, which headphones are.

great post. good advice on hanging on to the "one". This "hobby" is so crazy that many of us at one point or another get caught up on trying to either "upgrade" or simply jump on the newest, shiniest toy that we pass on our current gear, and sometimes just forget to enjoy it.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,970 of 4,994
Just some links to  what i have posted in the "post your grado Mods" thread:

Turbulent X driver Grado Style Headphone (with custom aluminium / inner wooden cups):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4095#post_9903541

Custom Bowls:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4095#post_9904067
SR 225i with inner wooden sleeves:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4110#post_9909512
Other Mods:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/4125#post_9909968

Users who are viewing this thread

Back