Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,291 of 4,994
@Chris_Himself... I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that an amp or DAC can be thrown together in a matter of days. I've done plenty of DIY and building an amp takes way more time when it comes to sourcing out parts, building out PCB(s), doing your own case-work, and then wiring it all up. 3 days is not a reality for more than a CMOY. I'm building an EHHA Rev A right now and I've just gotten some rare 6GM8 tubes at a fair price. This alone took me a few weeks.

Anyways yeah $500 is a fair price for these. Also, Ohrenholz' work is the bomb.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #1,292 of 4,994

Quote:
@Chris_Himself... I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that an amp or DAC can be thrown together in a matter of days. I've done plenty of DIY and building an amp takes way more time when it comes to sourcing out parts, building out PCB(s), doing your own case-work, and then wiring it all up. 3 days is not a reality for more than a CMOY. I'm building an EHHA Rev A right now and I've just gotten some rare 6GM8 tubes at a fair price. This alone took me a few weeks.

Anyways yeah $500 is a fair price for these. Also, Ohrenholz' work is the bomb.

Oh no dude I just meant that they're not an "in-stock" item at all. I wasn't talking about custom or DIY amps, I was just comparing them to readily available off the shelf equipment.

A magnum build is an extensive build progress that requires a fair bit of time and planning compared to just listing a credit card number.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #1,293 of 4,994
Yes you are correct! Anything DIY requires a little planning and patience. As we all know, with the Magnums the rewards far outweigh the monetary risks involved in putting one together. Even at ~$350-400 or less it's still cheaper than a new pair of RS1s.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,294 of 4,994
Thanks Melvins, Mullet, and Chris_Himself for your quotes! I am sorta on the fence about selling them (If only I can convince the people I am living with!!!) but if I decide to, I'll probably list them within the next few weeks... 
frown.gif
 Again, thanks though. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,295 of 4,994
Save yourself the time and list them now, and consider your offers later in a few weeks. Nobody is going to make you love a headphone you're considering selling, plus with the money you can buy almost any midrange can out there!

Quote:
Thanks Melvins, Mullet, and Chris_Himself for your quotes! I am sorta on the fence about selling them (If only I can convince the people I am living with!!!) but if I decide to, I'll probably list them within the next few weeks... 
frown.gif
 Again, thanks though. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,296 of 4,994
yeah, I'd go with Chris said. See what offers you get, then make the decision. The buyers here are extremely understanding. I'm in the process of selling my modded grades, but am waiting to sell them off until I actually receive my magnums. The prospective buyer has been extremely accommodating, and even responded quickly when I went to ask him if he was still interested, since it'd been a week or two since we had made contact. People are reasonable. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,297 of 4,994
Right now I'm a bit torn....

I'm on the fence about buying some sr225s, or getting a pair of sr60s and buying some magnum drivers... both in a wood housing. I've auditioned the sr225s and they sound wonderful, but I don't think I'll get to audition magnums anytime soon... decisions decisions...

For now I'm considering just buying the sr225's to enjoy my first Grado sound, and go magnum later if I desire. Or would it be better to forgo the first option and go magnum right away? I always love a good DIY project, but I guess I just need some reassurances that the pieces I'm placing together will be greater than the sr225.

What I'd really love to do is throw some Magnums in a wooded sleeve and throw those into a pair of 325/225 outer chambers. I'm sure there are people who have their leftover shells from a full woody mod... I'm just hoping I could find someone to sell them!

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,298 of 4,994
I'd pick a Magnum over the 225i any day. I was never able to keep listening to a Grado but the same can't be said for the Magnums esp considering I own two (but it may be down to one eventually). However I have not heard anything above GS1000i or the RS line.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,299 of 4,994
Go for the 225i's, mod them, see if you dig it. Then go for the magnums. Honestly, I will always love my grados. Even though I'm about to not own them, I really loved em'. Well, really I think it all depends on your musical preference. Metalhead? Rocker? Woodied Grado's sound amazing. Magnums? They sound good, but not nearly as forward. And honestly, not as aggressive. But. Magnums are ammaziiinngg. Decisions man!

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #1,300 of 4,994
Go for the 225's, saves you a lot of trouble and it's a sort of "ignorance is bliss" thing. The Magnum process is a long and arduous one honestly and I only recommend it if you own Grados to compare with really.

I have some SR-60 caps you can throw over the Symphones aluminum rings if you wish.. that should get you the sound of the intended aluminum Symphones build since the outer caps don't have all that much of an effect on the sound, but the aluminum sleeve definitely will.. as proven by wood rings and swapping aluminum caps on plastic bodies in my time.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,301 of 4,994
I'd skip the Grados. Go Magnum all the way! I can recommend Ohrenholz to do a complete build for you for a little less than 5 bills. You won't get the aluminum inner shell, but you will get fantastic all woody Magnums. The consensus is that wood softens things up a bit and is a little more mellower than aluminum.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,302 of 4,994
I've got some woodied Grado's with 225i drivers and I love them but I've been looking into upgrading the drivers. I've been out of touch for a while so I wasn't aware of this whole magnum thing. I'm assuming this is my best route for upgrade?

Also who should I contact to order some of these

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,303 of 4,994
my magnum is finally completely done!

the upper mid and treble used to sound a little 'off' without the grill. but after i completely finish the cup, and listened to it again. the tonality is just soo linear, and pleasant!! i never thought i would love 'grado' this much! God..

detail retrieval, resolution, and bass detail are way above ms-pro and grado hf-2. no contest there

i'm planning to make the aluminum version of this cup, it will look like grado hp1000 cup (1 piece of cup, much more less distortion!!), with much higher grade aluminum than the air chamber rhydon offers (rhydon air chambers will dent if you drop them or even knock them against your table. this one is much more rigid, and as light as the rhydon aluminum). anyone here interested? i want to press the damage cost. price estimation is around $225/each for 10 pair of cups

i can make the gimbal as well if there is enough demand. the point is, i will not proceed this project (cup or gimbal) if i'm the only participant, the damage cost is just too huge for 1 person. lol

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #1,304 of 4,994

Quote:
my magnum is finally completely done!

the upper mid and treble used to sound a little 'off' without the grill. but after i completely finish the cup, and listened to it again. the tonality is just soo linear, and pleasant!! i never thought i would love 'grado' this much! God..

detail retrieval, resolution, and bass detail are way above ms-pro and grado hf-2. no contest there

i'm planning to make the aluminum version of this cup, it will look like grado hp1000 cup (1 piece of cup, much more less distortion!!), with much higher grade aluminum than the air chamber rhydon offers (rhydon air chambers will dent if you drop them or even knock them against your table. this one is much more rigid, and as light as the rhydon aluminum). anyone here interested? i want to press the damage cost. price estimation is around $225/each for 10 pair of cups

i can make the gimbal as well if there is enough demand. the point is, i will not proceed this project (cup or gimbal) if i'm the only participant, the damage cost is just too huge for 1 person. lol

You mean $225 x 10 = $2250? 
confused_face.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,305 of 4,994

Quote:
You mean $225 x 10 = $2250? 
confused_face.gif

yup, the price is rather steep, i know. but the price of the aluminum itself is expensive, so you get what you paid for. i can assure you, no snake oil or huge price mark up here 
wink.gif

for this first batch (if it gains enough interest of course) the price will be the damage cost production price. most of the money goes to machinery adjustment cost (they charge you for re-setting the machine, while it can be used to produce another equipment if the machine weren't stopped)

i'll try to take pictures of the air chamber i made with this aluminum, to gain more interest

but why does it matter anyway? do you want to order 10 pair of cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back