Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,321 of 4,994
Tyll's been accepting DIY headphones for measurement for the last year or so -- especially orthodynamic mods. There's a DIY headphone contest going on until April 1st. Earlier this month he opened it up to other cans than DIY orthos ie Magnums, Grados, etc. I sent mine in a few weeks back. I was more interested in seeing how they measure up and compare to other full woody Magnums like theLostMidrange's limba cup Magnums.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #1,322 of 4,994

Quote:
Tyll's been accepting DIY headphones for measurement for the last year or so -- especially orthodynamic mods. There's a DIY headphone contest going on until April 1st. Earlier this month he opened it up to other cans than DIY orthos ie Magnums, Grados, etc. I sent mine in a few weeks back. I was more interested in seeing how they measure up and compare to other full woody Magnums like theLostMidrange's limba cup Magnums.

does he collect any fee for this service?

i'm interested to send out my wharfedale isodynamic

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,323 of 4,994

Quote:
does he collect any fee for this service?

i'm interested to send out my wharfedale isodynamic

No, you just have to be in the US and pay for shipment to me.  I'll pay return shipment.

Too late to get into the contest, but I'll continue to measure DIY cans. 

PM me to do it, if you want.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,325 of 4,994
what does that measurement do exactly?

yes. i am dumb.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,327 of 4,994
haha explain

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #1,328 of 4,994
You'll get a snazzy little FR chart to compare with other headphones. I've been tempted to do so, but I think you'd have to pry my Magnums out of my hands for me to be without them at this point.

Then again, it might be a fun thing to throw around, as Magnums apparently sound terrible in cocobolo. (Insert laughing and eyerolling here.)

EDIT: Hey, post pics of your new Magnums, Mel!

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #1,330 of 4,994

I love them. So much.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #1,331 of 4,994

Quote:
You'll get a snazzy little FR chart to compare with other headphones. I've been tempted to do so, but I think you'd have to pry my Magnums out of my hands for me to be without them at this point.
Then again, it might be a fun thing to throw around, as Magnums apparently sound terrible in cocobolo. (Insert laughing and eyerolling here.)
EDIT: Hey, post pics of your new Magnums, Mel!

FR chart?

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,332 of 4,994
it's a graph/picture of the general distribution of frequencies and their volume that a particular phone emits. The machine that generates it is first 'programmed' to approximate what the human ear ears and then distributes the findings on a graph. Other measurements seem to indicate things like distortion and something related to note response and it's decay? Some companies seem to have total faith in them. But grado did not use them much if at all? And so his phones are not 'flat'. they were dialed into his taste...... I think the people sending them in have varied reasons for being interested, some are in a neurotic race over something, some use the info more productively to dial in the headphones to taste etc. It's great for diy'ers to see what they are hearing so they can make adjustments. Manufacturers can do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back