Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,276 of 4,994
this sounds nice on my set for reference:

invest 3:52 of your life and check out 'ol brian downey play that 'crash' cymbal !  what pattern and timing. now that's a human sound and timing requiring an infinitely different headphone.

chris post another that sounds great on your set and I will check it out more fully.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,277 of 4,994
Gonna have to agree, Maggies are really good at Derpstep (Dubstep) and other electronic genres that I delve into. Sure it might not have that ridiculous sub-bass that some consumer grade cans might have but the bass impact is still hefty once you get closer to the mids

Damn. That sounds amazing just on these SR60is I just got my hands on (gift for my father-in-law, but...they need some breaking in first >_>). Need to give a listen w/ the Magnums later.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #1,278 of 4,994
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3EsPTX0wuQ&feature=related

this song causes my ears to get slightly painful .. is it because of symbilance?

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,279 of 4,994
that recording is so hot it's not a surprise it's irritating. I wouldn't blame your phones for that one. right from the first horns and every instrument after it is way hot recorded. You poor youngins are slammed in the face right from the get go by the corporations. I feel for you. Do you have any idea what is being done to those vocals and instruments in that studio? layers, compression, dynamic boosting, autotune, reverb, hot levels etc. Same with everything else on that one it sounds. If you get a free sat head on down to a local bar or concert hall and check out a unamped jazz combo, orchestra or folk singer. Or catch jamiri-why on his unplugged tour if he does one. This is a more natural recording or horns and drums for reference.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,281 of 4,994
I decided to play around with different pads and couldn't get down with the super yellowishness of the 414 pads. So I dyed them using iDye Poly found at a local art supply store. The results were fantastic, however my 414 pads somehow slightly expanded in the process.
confused_face.gif
The directions called for a rolling boil in a pot then submerse the dye and material to be dyed and let it simmer for a 1/2 hour to an hour. I went with an hour. Perhaps, a shorter period of time would be called for. Here are what my pads look like. I went with brown to match my tan headband and mahogany cups and it works.

Here is a comparison shot with some "black" quarter modded 414s that Ohrenholz sent me.

My impressions of full 414s and the v4s are that they certainly hack off the sound stage that you get with bowl pads or reverse quarter modded 414s. They also take mid highs down a notch, which is nice. If were to compare these to my last v4s -- the newer black drivers I'd say the mid highs are slightly less grating. Don't get me wrong if there is ssssssyness it's there, but not nearly as bad and it certainly doesn't take you away from the music.

Here they are in all their sexyness...

On a side note... watch out when dyeing your pads... I had a smidge of residue left on my fingers that has been imprinted on my zagg invisible shield on my iPad. I got a little off with some soap and water but some of the dye won't come off. I have a few options... deal with it. 2. Peel off the invisible shield and request a new one (I just put it on a week or so ago because I got a replacement iPad). 3. Or try to use some solvent to get it off. Any ideas on how to get this dye stuff off?

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,283 of 4,994
Bought some G-Cush for my magnums and I'm liking them a lot more now! Makes the sound a bit more aggressive, I found they were a little too smooth with bowls/comfies, especially for metal. Comfort is great as well.

G-Cush doesn't work so well with ms2 as it makes them TOO aggressive, prefer comfies or bowls on MS2.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,284 of 4,994
That's interesting marts. I've always been under the impression that the G cush pads gave the Magnums a wider sound stage and tamed them down a bit. I guess I'll have to spring for G cush pads sometime to find out for myself. Because I have wood cups of a certain type my experience will be different than others and vice-versa. I can tell you that with normal quarter modded pads my Magnum v4s seem a bit more agressive than with bowls. Things may change though because I have less than 200 hours on my grey v4s.

@thelostMidrange Yeah I'll live with it. It's just the way these drivers are with mahogany cups. If I had the money and time to do more drivers / cup variations I'd do it to get the perfect mix. Or at least I'd attempt to do so. Call me cynical, but I don't think there is perfection when it comes to headphones and the Magnums in general. What I mean is this... the current phones I have sound great. They sound slightly different than what I had before. The bass is a little looser and the mid highs aren't as harsh. Do they have moments where sssssyness is apparent. Sure. If I changed the wood type, would it go away? Perhaps. Then again, I might lose the high mids and gain something else in return. At this point, I'm happy with what I have. I like the mids, lows, and the highs are not fatiguing.

Quote:
anyone notice their magnums sound more 'colored' or distorted the louder they go?  not actual distortion, but like grado type 'distortion' or hotness. It's subtle...........I don't know if it's my cups or the drivers or both but many of the headphones i've put together sound best at low to moderate volumes, which is fine with me but wondering if i'm alone on this too.

Are you suggesting that the mids are overly pronounced? Are you talking about a grittyness? I do notice that that these phones have a distinct flavor or presence in the mids that gets accentuated when they are at louder volumes. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing though. I dig the sound. Like I said before I don't find it grating or fatiguing, so I'm cool with it.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #1,285 of 4,994
I was thinking the same, definitely didn't tame the highs. I don't find my MS2 harsh with bowls or comfies but verrrry harsh with G-Cush. With my magnums they bring the highs and lows more forward and the mids stay pretty similar.

Quote:
That's interesting marts. I've always been under the impression that the G cush pads gave the Magnums a wider sound stage and tamed them down a bit. I guess I'll have to spring for G cush pads sometime to find out for myself. Because I have wood cups of a certain type my experience will be different than others and vice-versa. I can tell you that with normal quarter modded pads my Magnum v4s seem a bit more agressive than with bowls. Things may change though because I have less than 200 hours on my grey v4s.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,286 of 4,994
It's hard to talk about woods and drivers since they can never be heard independently from another. The only way to hear a driver is in a cup and the only way to hear a cup is to have a driver in it. Add to this the facts that drivers vary and all woods have issues......... there's a wide range of results possible. So all we can really do at this point is mix and match with our own ears being the final arbiter

if we had a classification of drivers though, we could then begin to concretely associate certain driver types to certain woods and we'd have much less variation, aggrevation and flops in circulation.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,287 of 4,994
Ok everybody, I am looking to possibly sell my woody Magnum V4's...   
frown.gif

What I want to ask is how much are they worth? I absolutely love the sound but I need to transition to a closed set of headphones because the people I live with complain about hearing my music all of the time. Here are the specs:

>V4 Drivers
>Martin Custom Audio KOA cups
>5ft. 2in. custom braided 6 wire double helix cables cable
>Viablue 6.3mm plug, splitter, and heat shrinks
>Grado G-cush pads
>Grado L-cush pads
>Grado 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter
>Grado headband

It's all in good condition and it sounds great! I hope that I can at least break even...

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,288 of 4,994
I'm going to take a stab at this and say $400-450... maybe a tad bit more.

It's a shame you're getting guff from your living companions. My wife gives me sheit all the time about my headphones. I have to remind her that open headphones just sound better and that if I close the office door and if she turns her Skyrim up then we're both happy.
gs1000.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,289 of 4,994
how much did ya pay for em? I'd add a few bills to that and ask for that. They are pretty as hell

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,290 of 4,994
I'd say 5 bills man.. thats using top-tier everything and anybody in the know, knows that it takes a couple of months at least to get one of those headphones together. It's not like a dac or an amp where you can just pay money and have it in 3 days.

That Double Helix Nucleotide cable is ridiculously nice too, nice and thick without being unflexible.. 

Everything about that pair of cans is 100%. We just need to market these Magnums better, and to do that we need one set model of them to promote awareness. I think Ohrenholz is working on something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back