Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #1,261 of 4,994

I agree that the material and how those pads slope, where they start to slope (i.e. how close to the driver sound holes) really affects things. These are 3 sets of new 'replacement' pads I just ordered. they are significantly smaller and impede on the high's majorly. I hope the place i bought them will accept returns. I can't use them, once the high end is hacked at the knees by these pads, there's no way of getting it back. they are also different materials within the sets I just bought, some have that hard flat ridge on the edge and one set here actually looks and feels like a different type of foam entirely. quite frustrating. All I want is some fricken pads like stock. I know they stretch as they get older which may account for some of the difference but they are definitely smaller than new grado pads. almost an 1/4" less inner diameter, which totally affects the sound. Overall pads are a huge variable and these fricken aftermarkets do not cut it. Anyone here work in foam? or have a better supplier of these? I used alo audio in portland. 

I will have to try the sock mod as well, I'm sure it has an affect.

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,266 of 4,994

Quote:
Those look like clones. I have a pair of the G-cush clones and they look like they have the same material, which is to say less dense. 
I get my L-cush from B&H photo, but they are $20 for a set.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544613-REG/Grado_L_CUSH_L_CUSH_Replacement_Foam_Ear.html

When I received my pair from B&H, the were sealed in a clear, plain plastic bag.  I guess this is how Grado markets the replacement pads?  At least with the Sennheiser HD-414 pads, they have the Sennheiser cardboard label stapled to the top and reflect that they're made in Germany, etc.  Though, that doesn't really indicate that the Sennheiser pads couldn't have been cloned, too.  But, for the price, I guess I'm surprised at how Grado handles the process so loosely.  Too much opportunity for slugs to sneak their fakes into the purchasing chain.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,268 of 4,994
the one on the right is grado, for music made by people on traditional instruments such as drum bass guitar vocal etc. and the one on the left can represent headphones that cater to ambient, dj, anything sampled sounds. Most of my music collection is geared to one side and that's why I need the certain pads.

and from what I can hear, the grados and magnums do not work well with 'electronic' music. They are both too colored for the other kind of music whereas a sennheiser can bridge the gap better and does a bit of each, sacrificing one a bit in the process. Not related to the pads, just an observation.

and wood cups are for 20th century music. And limba especially is for this earlier music. they don't seem to help the new music.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,269 of 4,994
and from what I can hear, the grados and magnums do not work well with 'electronic' music.

I have to disagree. My Magums sound fantastic with every genre I've thrown at them, including hip-hop. Far as electronic goes, I've run Goldfrapp, later Gary Numan and a ton of EBM/darkwave/synthpop/futurepop through them, and it sounds fantastic. If I want pure UNTZUNTZUNTZWUBWUBWUB, I'd reach for my HTF600s, but for some of the better-produced stuff (Covenant, De/Vision, Numan, for example), I'll take the Magums any day.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,271 of 4,994
Gonna have to agree, Maggies are really good at Derpstep (Dubstep) and other electronic genres that I delve into. Sure it might not have that ridiculous sub-bass that some consumer grade cans might have but the bass impact is still hefty once you get closer to the mids

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #1,273 of 4,994
anyone notice their magnums sound more 'colored' or distorted the louder they go?  not actual distortion, but like grado type 'distortion' or hotness. It's subtle...........I don't know if it's my cups or the drivers or both but many of the headphones i've put together sound best at low to moderate volumes, which is fine with me but wondering if i'm alone on this too.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,274 of 4,994
these are pretty colored drivers to my ears. it's only their super clear background that may mask this fact since it tends to separate instruments so well and make things seem 'clear' but the actual sound is not so clear and uncolored, it's the clear background that is giving this impression. Which is fine, the background is just as much 'sound' as the actual sound, but these are really not any less colored than grados. just differently colored. I also feel headphones should not be 'flat' 'neutral' etc but there is definitely a tuning process to get just the right color for certain people and music otherwise the color is irritating and unatural. This is what modding is all about imo. tuning a set of otherwise mass produced and generic sets to particular sets that more intimitely suit a particular person's tastes and requirements. this is a modding thread still yes? 

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,275 of 4,994
@chrishimself. that link tothe  dubstep tune sounds really really bad on my particular set. Very unatural and harsh. odd sounding. could be my particular set since it was tuned for opposite type of music though. Or it could be that is how that song is intended to sound? either way, it doesn't 'work' for me. If I was forced at gunpoint to listen to that, I'd much rather hear that 'music' on a sennheiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back