Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #4,863 of 4,994
Three layers of micropore tape and the bass is closer to neutral. Its difficult to tell because vocals are a bit recessed. Using reverse bowls tones down highs and in relation lifts mids n lows. In combination with more bass tuning I can get the mids and vocals closer to even. Bass is still a bit peaky however just no longer cannons.

Can you private message me? This doesn't sound like our V9's, wondering if something went wrong with the install or something is not working correctly.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,864 of 4,994
Can you private message me? This doesn't sound like our V9's, wondering if something went wrong with the install or something is not working correctly.

@Rhydon Let me know your thoughts when you're done discussing. I suppose I should share mine now that I have had a few days with a build I made for myself. Mine are mounted in a pair of Walnut GS1K-style cups, with a copper cable by Ted at Headphonelounge.

@Rhydon I shot you a PM yesterday as well, with some notes. I have a build for myself, using Walnut GS1K clones that has less design variables in it.

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #4,867 of 4,994
Looks like I will be shipping my headphones out to Symphones for evaluation. If driver is found faulty then Ill receive a replacement free of charge. Thank you Rhydon. So, please ignore my previous v9 sound comments. I will stay away from this thread for now. Sorry everyone.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #4,868 of 4,994
Redid my V9 build with some newer cups I made for myself. Been testing out an all natural, food safe finish made from beeswax and linseed oil. The wood is Rosewood and Maple, laminated together.

20200202_074807.jpg20200202_074705.jpg20200202_074656.jpg
Note, I recessed the driver to see how it sounds. Will share impressions as they come.

I also rehoused my V8 in my daily driver cups. These are finished with Shellac and are Ebony, Walnut and Purple Heart laminated together.

20200202_075005.jpg20200202_074924.jpg20200202_074916.jpg

Will try to do some side by side comparisons this week, with the V9 recessed and flush with the cup lip.

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #4,869 of 4,994
@fleasbaby @Rhydon and everyone doing grado mods

Love magnum V9 from a friend's set

But I have to ask

Since you guys believe in woods and sound effecting due to back tube resonances in Grado cups(well wood do effects the sound a bit, from wood to woo

Since its a tube
What will happen if I use different kind of metals etc

Like, anybody experienced different metal sound

Just asking

As all metal have different resonating mode, plus thick metal won't resonate .... And reflection of sound in metal

And the last bit of grooving or making the shell like a horn towards outside

Etc

Just asking for some knowledge

And I am placing order on MAGNUM v9 and beautiful audio Grado G cush

Magnum V9 is something I felt non grado like and more like planar in sound( wall of sound)

Presentation is huge while being controlled

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #4,870 of 4,994
Since its a tube
As all metal have different resonating mode, plus thick metal won't resonate .... And reflection of sound in metal

You may want to stick with wood ear cups. Metals have very little damping and high weight which makes them hard to use for large headphones. Some use metal outer cups with inner wood inserts, this is good practice if you want the strength of aluminum but the damping of wood.

Part of the fun with DIY headphones is experimenting to get the sound you like. Feel free to have some fun with different shapes and materials to see what the effects are. There are a few vendors on our site that make custom cups, or if you know someone with a wood lathe maybe they could help you make a few prototypes.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #4,871 of 4,994
You may want to stick with wood ear cups. Metals have very little damping and high weight which makes them hard to use for large headphones. Some use metal outer cups with inner wood inserts, this is good practice if you want the strength of aluminum but the damping of wood.

Part of the fun with DIY headphones is experimenting to get the sound you like. Feel free to have some fun with different shapes and materials to see what the effects are. There are a few vendors on our site that make custom cups, or if you know someone with a wood lathe maybe they could help you make a few prototypes.
I work with military research
So I can get duralumin.

I was thinking of avoiding the wood, because I dont like woody sound. Symphones V9 needs to be transparent what I feel
They are huge departure from V8 in the feel of sound

But sir...still thanks

Will keep that in mind

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #4,872 of 4,994

Love magnum V9 from a friend's set

But I have to ask

Since you guys believe in woods and sound effecting due to back tube resonances in Grado cups(well wood do effects the sound a bit, from wood to woo

Since its a tube

Like, anybody experienced different metal sound

Just asking

Etc

Just asking for some knowledge

And I am placing order on MAGNUM v9 and beautiful audio Grado G cush

Magnum V9 is something I felt non grado like and more like planar in sound( wall of sound)

Presentation is huge while being controlled

There have been a few folks who have tried solid brass/aluminium/etc. The original Joe Grado HP series was housed in metal as well. Personally I have only gone as far as wooden sleeves in aluminium housings. My experience has been that it keeps a bit of the tone of wood, but adds more control. Some like that, others don't. It can't hurt to try :).

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #4,873 of 4,994
Come to think of it I think Joe Grado was going for reliability and ruggedness with the choice of aluminum for the HP-1000 rather than sonics alone. This headphone was designed as a recording engineers tool, used in a sometimes hectic and fast paced recording studio. Lots of being handeled, moved around, banged, dropped- if it were to be taken seriously it had to last. Although the resonance of aluminum earcups are higher in frequency, it is still well within the audio band, not to mention its Q factor is much more pronounced (db of resonance). Wood has a much lower stiffness and hense resonance, but much much better damping (low Q). Problem is you use wood headphones in a recording studio and they'd be toast in a few weeks. So if you are anticipating a rough ride, for example using your headphones on the go or at work, then aluminum outer cups with wood inserts is still a great idea and what modern higher-end grado's use today. But if you are using around the house or at your computer, maybe consider reducing the weight with wood only earcups. Also if you are finding your headphone to sound overly warm that could be a problem with air leaks. Be sure the driver is sealed properly within the earcup.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #4,874 of 4,994
While other materials have been brought up, anyone know what resin cups would sound like? My sister works in resin and I've been thinking of making mould of some cups I haven't completed yet. Visually they would be amazing in clear resin with some colour but if they don't sound good...

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #4,875 of 4,994
While other materials have been brought up, anyone know what resin cups would sound like? Visually they would be amazing in clear resin with some colour but if they don't sound good...

Plastic tends to have low stiffness (so low resonance frequency) and high Q (level of resonance). For this reason i would shy away from it. You dont see many high quality speakers or headphones with large enclosures use plastic, its not the best for resonance. Wood or damped wood is best if (and a big if) your enclosure is large. If you are using a small frame then material stiffness is more important than resonance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back