Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 27, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #4,846 of 4,994
Will do <eventually> :)

Just got the V9 so literally less than an hour of total head time over the holidays. I use the Ypsilon a lot and it really has taken over primary position so I haven't listened to the 225e in a while but will do so for comparison. Might need to invest in a 2nd pair of G-cush pads.

Right off the bat I would say the V9 is thicker in the midrange and it goes deeper in bass though neither the V9 or Ypsilon will ever be sub bass hounds <as you all already know>. I haven't explored much in terms of jazz, blues, rock, etc. but I did want to see how the V9 vs Ypsilon do in regards to female vocals. I found the Ypsilon displayed a tone and texture that I appreciated more than the V9. The V9 was more "velvety" and meatier but the clarity and transparency of the Ypsilon were more appreciated to me in the treble area. With the V9 I believe the warmth does concede a little bit of perceived detail to the Ypsilon but I thought it was still pretty resolving.

Since I already had a 225e and Ypsilon Bruce and I felt a need to explore something different like the Magnum. I like it. I can see how the speed and weight of the V9 is going to be appreciated for many genres. I think the transparency and "leaner" Grado or Ypsilon will continue to serve me in other ways.

I don't even know if the V9 needs some break-in period whether mental or mechanical so all of this could change in some time. All in all, it's great to have the opportunity to own all three distinct drivers. As perspective, I have owned and really liked the HF-2, GH-1, PS500, but many moons ago. I primarily listen to jazz and a big fan of double bass (Avishai Cohen) and violin (Adam Baldych).

There are others way more qualified (e.g. the maker fleasbaby) than I to speak on these drivers but I will do my best to listen to all three over the weeks to come and provide a more qualified response. I got so excited looking at all of fleasbaby's creations that I needed to post ASAP about the latest acquisition :wink:.

WNBC will you give us anymore comparison details of v9 vs ypsilon and 225e? Thanks

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,847 of 4,994
Thank you for the additional info.

Which ypsilon driver are you using?
Are you going to try different pads?
Does the v9 greatly improve with desktop amp or is it good for portable use (iphone)?

Edit: I dont have my v9 yet - fleasbaby / Bruce is on it. I just put it in my profile early.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #4,849 of 4,994
Look what's here :) Fantastic to look at and listen to. My first Magnum so I wasn't sure what to expect. Definitely more low end presence than my 225e or Ypsilon.

Fleasbaby/Bruce has really built an amazing set of customs over the years. Each time is more creative than the next. No more Ebay buys for me. That set of trashed Bushmills was an expensive lesson but resulted in an outstanding experiment carried out by Bruce.

I'm really glad you like them. Every time I get an email for a job from you it makes me happy. Its always a fun, creative challenge that yields something new and interesting.

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4,850 of 4,994
I am using the Ypsilon R1. I looked and it is no longer available from Ellevena website. Not sure how it ranks against newer models but seems many people also like the R1 driver.

I started off using the larger G cush because I just assumed it would be more comfortable than the smaller L cush which places the protruding Magnum grill onto your ears. For fun, this morning I tried the smaller L cush and there wasn't much or any discomfort for a quick listen. Not sure how it would turn out for a longer session. I'd have to listen more to tell you about sonic differences between the pad. There will be some benefits and disadvantages to have the driver closer to one's ears. Many others have described the differences between using the L vs G cush. I suspect those differences will hold up with the V9. On the Symphones website they do indicate the drivers were optimized for use with the L cush. https://www.symphones.com/faq

With iPhone X I am at 75-85% of max volume to reach an acceptable level. I am a person that likes my music loud so others might be fine not pushing the phone so hard. While it definitely works I would say I prefer the quality of the sound coming from my HiBy R3Pro or when I use my Mapletree tube amp connected to a better DAC than the iPhone. Like many things, it's not all about power and the amplification in the HiBy DAP or from the Mapletree amp is just better. However, don't be discouraged as many things can be upgraded so for as long as you want to just enjoy it with an iPhone. You won't know what you're missing until you try something new and then you get the bug. Enjoy what you have until that moment because the hobby gets a lot more expensive after that :wink:

I listened to one track this morning for comparison. Chaka Khan's "Ain't Nobody". The V9 wins for overall groove, essentially feeling the flow of the music and basslines. For vocals, the R1 just has more clarity and the forwards are more upfront than the V9. For female vocals I am choosing the R1. Will need to check out the V9 for male vocals.

In any case, I have nothing bad to say about the V9. It's a solid driver. You're likely gonna enjoy it. I don't have one headphone that does everything well. Can't afford whatever that might be as it's going to be some flagship model. My brain prefers a more "reference" sound for jazz/vocals and the R1 fills that void. However, 25% of the time I want to listen to R&B, soul, reggae, blues, rock, electronica, etc. and the V9 is definitely going to be great for that.

You're in good hands with Bruce!

Thank you for the additional info.

Which ypsilon driver are you using?
Are you going to try different pads?
Does the v9 greatly improve with desktop amp or is it good for portable use (iphone)?

Edit: I dont have my v9 yet - fleasbaby / Bruce is on it. I just put it in my profile early.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #4,852 of 4,994
That’s the Epsilon R1 vs my Ypsilon R1. I can’t tell you the evolution of their products and probably not quite the thread for that.

The mesh does touch my ears with old L cush but it’s ok. They designed it to do so :wink:. Just put on some new L cush and there's more distance between the mesh and ear.

Elleven Acoustica Epsilon R1 looks to be available here:
http://www.ellevenacoustica.com/products

Do the v9 drivers “mesh” physically touch the ear with L-cush? That would be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #4,853 of 4,994
I have been on the V9 Band Wagon ever since they were released. They have been part of my rotation each week.

Tonight they rocked through Blackberry Smoke and finished up with Alice in Chains, Unplugged "Rooster". Outstanding!!

imo the V9 is the Rodney Dangerfield of the driver world.

Happy New Year to you Head Fi'ers!

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #4,854 of 4,994
Look what's here :) Fantastic to look at and listen to. My first Magnum so I wasn't sure what to expect. Definitely more low end presence than my 225e or Ypsilon.

Fleasbaby/Bruce has really built an amazing set of customs over the years. Each time is more creative than the next. No more Ebay buys for me. That set of trashed Bushmills was an expensive lesson but resulted in an outstanding experiment carried out by Bruce.

Kinda OT but since you have the Woo double stands, do you think you can hang two Audezes on one of them? I have all my headphones in drawers, on desks, or sitting on top of my speakers. I am in serious need of headphone stands and I don't have room for single stands or too many.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #4,855 of 4,994
Not sure but I can give you the specs:

35 cm max vertical height extension
20 cm full length of cross bar
9 cm width of cross bar

I haven't owned any Audeze products in a while but I remember them having those fat headbands and huge magnets. My guess is one headphone on each side of the double stand is very doable with the magnets from each headphone touching the other. Will be cozy.

Kinda OT but since you have the Woo double stands, do you think you can hang two Audezes on one of them? I have all my headphones in drawers, on desks, or sitting on top of my speakers. I am in serious need of headphone stands and I don't have room for single stands or too many.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #4,856 of 4,994
Not sure but I can give you the specs:

35 cm max vertical height extension
20 cm full length of cross bar
9 cm width of cross bar

I haven't owned any Audeze products in a while but I remember them having those fat headbands and huge magnets. My guess is one headphone on each side of the double stand is very doable with the magnets from each headphone touching the other. Will be cozy.

Thanks. I'll double check with Woo :)

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,858 of 4,994

More photos at fleasbaby's instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7O50iwpiD8/

I'll post my own photos too soon.

This was a slightly challenging build, but came out looking good (if I do say so myself). The grill area is wider than the standard size I use usually on my cups, and gave the drivers, what sounded to me like, a flatter frequency response. I didn't hear much though, beyond just verifying that the drivers worked after assembly. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Jan 19, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #4,859 of 4,994
My v9 build had boomy bass. You can tune it by covering the vent on back of driver. Sealing it (electrical tape) kills the bass. Micropore tape (porous) is a better middle ground. Pretty neutral sounding now. Rolled off bass of course but not bad. Sound a lot like Koss Porta Pro but with more detail and more neutral.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,860 of 4,994
Three layers of micropore tape and the bass is closer to neutral. Its difficult to tell because vocals are a bit recessed. Using reverse bowls tones down highs and in relation lifts mids n lows. In combination with more bass tuning I can get the mids and vocals closer to even. Bass is still a bit peaky however just no longer cannons.

EDIT: Completely sealing vent (electrical tape) with reverse bowls is good. Sealing vent removes boomy bass. Reverse bowls adds needed warmth and comfort at cost of highs. Maybe taped bowls would sound good.

Edit2: Taped bowls is better. Reverse bowl still too warm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back