Grado modders go Magnum
Apr 1, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4,892 of 4,994
Please google: “Symphones V9 Build - Random Impressions and a Billion Measurements”

I cant direct link because you are not allowed mention other forums here. Like North Korea in this mf.

Ill add some highlights from that thread to this thread later.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4,894 of 4,994
I will be joining the Magnum club very soon, I have a pair of V9 drivers on the way to me. Also fleasbaby is making a pair of cups out of African Blackwood for me. At the moment I listening to my modded SR60i with mahogany cups from Vibrolabs, quarter mod pads and a homemade copper cable. The drivers were fully liberated from the SR60i.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #4,895 of 4,994
Congratulations - I've had a couple Magnums in past few years.
A joy to build and an awesome sound signature.

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #4,896 of 4,994
My original plan was to purchase an SR80e (just for the drivers, gimbals & headband) and then replace the cups with wooden ones because i am not willing to spend the $500 for the RS2e. I thought this would get me a similar sound to the RS2e based on the assumption that all Grado headphones use the same driver.
However, doing some additional research i found that there are at least three types of drivers across the product line, 40mm, 44mm & 50mm. So now i'm no longer sure if transplanting SR80e drivers in wooden cups will get me the same SQ (or close) as the RS2e since they use different drivers 40mm (SR80e) vs. 44mm (RS2e).

Then i stumbled on this thread, read the last 10 pages or so and figured why not just buy V9 or Turbulent drivers and build my own from scratch? Well, by the time i add up the cost of all the parts i would need, including a half decent cable, i would be around the $500 mark anyway.

Maybe this is a dumb question (because i don't know how the stock Grado drivers compare to the V9/Turbulent) but at roughly the same price, will V9 or Turbulent drivers in wooden cups (with average cable) sound noticeably better than the stock RS2e?

My original plan of using SR80e drivers with wooden cups would be significantly cheaper (around $200). Maybe that is the best compromise in the end?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #4,897 of 4,994
My original plan was to purchase an SR80e (just for the drivers, gimbals & headband) and then replace the cups with wooden ones because i am not willing to spend the $500 for the RS2e. I thought this would get me a similar sound to the RS2e based on the assumption that all Grado headphones use the same driver.
However, doing some additional research i found that there are at least three types of drivers across the product line, 40mm, 44mm & 50mm. So now i'm no longer sure if transplanting SR80e drivers in wooden cups will get me the same SQ (or close) as the RS2e since they use different drivers 40mm (SR80e) vs. 44mm (RS2e).

Then i stumbled on this thread, read the last 10 pages or so and figured why not just buy V9 or Turbulent drivers and build my own from scratch? Well, by the time i add up the cost of all the parts i would need, including a half decent cable, i would be around the $500 mark anyway.

Maybe this is a dumb question (because i don't know how the stock Grado drivers compare to the V9/Turbulent) but at roughly the same price, will V9 or Turbulent drivers in wooden cups (with average cable) sound noticeably better than the stock RS2e?

My original plan of using SR80e drivers with wooden cups would be significantly cheaper (around $200). Maybe that is the best compromise in the end?

Thank you for any advice.
IIRC the SR80e (only owned SR80i which I used in wood cups from Rholuplat) has 44mm drivers, same as the RS2e (which I still own, slightly modded). With that said, while the drivers in the SR60e, SR80e, SR125e, SR225e, SR325e, RS2e, and PS500e are all the same there are differences in them, physical and sonic. I have a SR225e (slightly modded) and it is quite a bit different sounding from my RS2e and no mods to the SR225e driver will get it to sound like the RS2e. I haven't heard the V9 or Turbulent drivers but I still have a Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon S1 and R1 and used to own a Ypsilon S2 & G1, V7 and a older Turbulent driver (can't recall which but not the X which I think is the most current) and to me the only driver that is close to the RS2e is the Ypsilon R1 but like you noted it will cost almost the same as a RS2e in the end.

My suggestion would be to get the Nhoord Red V2 (cheapest of the drivers) and to me gives a great all around sound if you want drivers in wood cups but if you want something a little closer to the RS2e on the cheap I'd probably start with the SR225e and do some mods to it (2 vent holes, dynamat in the cups and either dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the driver), it will be fairly close, just lacking the extension, details and clarity in the highs of the RS2e for about half the cost.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #4,898 of 4,994
IIRC the SR80e (only owned SR80i which I used in wood cups from Rholuplat) has 44mm drivers, same as the RS2e (which I still own, slightly modded). With that said, while the drivers in the SR60e, SR80e, SR125e, SR225e, SR325e, RS2e, and PS500e are all the same there are differences in them, physical and sonic. I have a SR225e (slightly modded) and it is quite a bit different sounding from my RS2e and no mods to the SR225e driver will get it to sound like the RS2e. I haven't heard the V9 or Turbulent drivers but I still have a Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon S1 and R1 and used to own a Ypsilon S2 & G1, V7 and a older Turbulent driver (can't recall which but not the X which I think is the most current) and to me the only driver that is close to the RS2e is the Ypsilon R1 but like you noted it will cost almost the same as a RS2e in the end.

My suggestion would be to get the Nhoord Red V2 (cheapest of the drivers) and to me gives a great all around sound if you want drivers in wood cups but if you want something a little closer to the RS2e on the cheap I'd probably start with the SR225e and do some mods to it (2 vent holes, dynamat in the cups and either dynamat or sorbothane on the back of the driver), it will be fairly close, just lacking the extension, details and clarity in the highs of the RS2e for about half the cost.

DavidA, i truly appreciate your feedback, expertise and recommendation!

That said, there is so much to digest, not just from your post but from all the reading & research i did. For instance, I was under the impression that the after market drivers under discussion here would offer a SQ improvement over the stock Grado drivers and i also thought all Grado drivers sounded the same. If that's not the case and if the stock RS2e driver is in fact superior to the after market drivers under discussion, then it makes the idea of purchasing all the separate parts pointless - if all i want is wooden cups with the best possible SQ.

What i find difficult to assess are all the opposing opinions; as usual, they are split right in the middle and there is no general consensus when it comes to the result of these mods or how different Grado headphones sound like to begin with.

I have read so many reports from people saying they can hardly discern any SQ differences between Grado headphones (except the GS/PS line which sounds worst to some).
Some people swear there is no point getting any Grado above the SR60e/80e because they offer 'most' of the Grado sound for cheap (that's where the idea to put SR80e drivers in wooden cups, with l-pads came from).
Some say SR80e with l-pads sound the same as the SR225.
Others conclude the after market drivers offer a significant SQ improvement over stock Grados.

The more i read the less i know which direction to take. At any rate, thank you again, i'm in no rush and will continue reading/learning.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #4,899 of 4,994

That said, there is so much to digest, not just from your post but from all the reading & research i did. For instance, I was under the impression that the after market drivers under discussion here would offer a SQ improvement over the stock Grado drivers and i also thought all Grado drivers sounded the same. If that's not the case and if the stock RS2e driver is in fact superior to the after market drivers under discussion, then it makes the idea of purchasing all the separate parts pointless - if all i want is wooden cups with the best possible SQ.

What i find difficult to assess are all the opposing opinions; as usual, they are split right in the middle and there is no general consensus when it comes to the result of these mods or how different Grado headphones sound like to begin with.

I have read so many reports from people saying they can hardly discern any SQ differences between Grado headphones (except the GS/PS line which sounds worst to some).
Some people swear there is no point getting any Grado above the SR60e/80e because they offer 'most' of the Grado sound for cheap (that's where the idea to put SR80e drivers in wooden cups, with l-pads came from).
Others conclude the after market drivers offer a significant SQ improvement over stock Grados.

The more i read the less i know which direction to take. At any rate, thank you again, i'm in no rush and will continue reading/learning.
The only way to know if you'll like the Grado sound is by hearing it. IMO people either like it or they don't.
If you have that kind of budget and you don't mind buying second hand, I would suggest buying a second hand rs2e at a good price and trying them out for yourself. That way if you don't you can sell it here in the forums or elsewhere and not loose much money if any.
While building your own headphone is quite rewarding it would probably be a bit harder to sell and you'd probably lose more cash vs buying a used rs2e.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #4,900 of 4,994

Therein lies the issue. There's a lot of talk, and everyone's ears are different. Personally, I think the SR225 (the original, i and e versions) are the sweet spot in the Grado lineup, and respond best to modifications. They won't be the same as an RS2e though. Aftermarket drivers will get you a great headphone too, arguably better than the RS2e to many, but as noted by @wormsdriver they are a labor of love, and not an investment-for-resale kind of headphone like a stock pair of RS1, RS2, or the PS/GS series. They are more a personal expression of the builder.

The only way to know if you'll like the Grado sound is by hearing it. IMO people either like it or they don't.
If you have that kind of budget and you don't mind buying second hand, I would suggest buying a second hand rs2e at a good price and trying them out for yourself. That way if you don't you can sell it here in the forums or elsewhere and not loose much money if any.
While building your own headphone is quite rewarding it would probably be a bit harder to sell and you'd probably lose more cash vs buying a used rs2e.

Amen...the Grado sound is love or hate, with very few in-betweeners. A custom build is, I'll say it again, more often than not a personal expression. Many sound amazing, and in my opinion trump a lot of the stock headphones I have heard. They are also items you keep and improve upon/reiterate/tweak, and push towards your personal tonal love.

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #4,901 of 4,994

As @wormsdriver and @fleasbaby noted it is a personal / individual preference when it comes to aftermarket drivers for Grado builds. With that said I'd take a Ypsilon R1/G1 over any GS for the price while the PS is a bit different sounding, not my cup of tea and I'd take my HD800, T1gen1, HE560 or even old Stax SRD-34 over any PS model that I've heard.

After playing with quite a few Grado SR series I'd noticed that they are visible differences in the drives used such as damping material on the back of the RS2e and PS500e drivers while I haven't seen any SR series with damping material on them and like the PS series usually have some vent holes opened up.

I would consider many of the aftermarket drivers superior to the RS2e driver but its a matter of personal taste but for most of my friends the Ypsilon S2 and V8 are much better than the RS2e due to the better low end but most of my friends that are casual listeners (ear buds that came with their phone) like the Nhoord Red V2 since its the easiest to listen to for a wide range of genres and sounds good on almost any gear.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #4,902 of 4,994

That is very good advice, thank you. I am indeed actively looking to buy a 2nd hand RS2e. If & when this happens, and assuming i'm happy with the SQ, it will probably be the end of my Grado journey because there would be no point in trying to modify an 80e or 225e since according to DavidA and fleasbaby it would never sound like the RS2e no matter which mods i perform. That pretty much rules out modding altogether since i ultimately want wood cups with the best possible sound, therefore my only other option is to just buy the RS2e outright and never look back (which is not out of the question) but that involves the 'love/hate' risk level as you point out.

Edit: It turns out i can buy it on Amazon with a 30 day free return policy if i don't like it.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #4,904 of 4,994
My V9 drivers have arrived. Now I am waiting on the wood cups from fleasbaby.
Symphony V9.jpg

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #4,905 of 4,994
The African Blackwood cups arrived, the are really beautiful. I have installed the drivers in the cups but have not had a chance to listen (except to verify that they work) to them as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back