Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 8, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,796 of 4,994
Finally! Geez Louise after for some reason my shapeways cups were detained in Chicago for like 2 weeks, they finally arrived earlier today. I just did the deed and I'm checking them out right now. They sound good with the L-cush, TTVJ flat pads (meh, too bassy) and stretched out G-cush also. I have a couple of other aftermarket pads at home that I'll try out later.
Seems that with more than a few Grados sometimes the G-cush is just too far from the driver so this is when stretching the pads comes in handy as it brings the driver to a shorter distance, somewhere between the G-cush and the L-cush. Of course comfort is excellent also.

So far so good, I'm pleased with these cups, very light and very simple and they work.

pretty cool lookin' too with the thin Sr325 leather headband!
cool.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3,798 of 4,994
  Finally! Geez Louise after for some reason my shapeways cups were detained in Chicago for like 2 weeks, they finally arrived earlier today. I just did the deed and I'm checking them out right now. They sound good with the L-cush, TTVJ flat pads (meh, too bassy) and stretched out G-cush also. I have a couple of other aftermarket pads at home that I'll try out later.
Seems that with more than a few Grados sometimes the G-cush is just too far from the driver so this is when stretching the pads comes in handy as it brings the driver to a shorter distance, somewhere between the G-cush and the L-cush. Of course comfort is excellent also.

So far so good, I'm pleased with these cups, very light and very simple and they work.

*SNIP*

pretty cool lookin' too with the thin Sr325 leather headband!
cool.gif

Those look great...I love that blacked out look actually...ordered a second pair of V6 a few days ago for a second build. Going to be wood again (Black Limba and Rosewood again as well), but I am very, very tempted to order a pair of the C1 and V6 so I can hear these exactly as Rhydon intended...

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,800 of 4,994

*SNIP*

pretty cool lookin' too with the thin Sr325 leather headband!:cool:

Those look great...I love that blacked out look actually...ordered a second pair of V6 a few days ago for a second build. Going to be wood again (Black Limba and Rosewood again as well), but I am very, very tempted to order a pair of the C1 and V6 so I can hear these exactly as Rhydon intended...
Same here. I was thinking about buying a second set to go back and forth with the Rydon version and a metal/wood hybrid, but I think I'll hold off on that for now.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #3,802 of 4,994
Yeah, definitely nothing bad to say about them on my part. I'm still trying to decide if I like them better on the C1 cups or all metal cups and sleeves. Actually I still haven't tried my wooden sleeves with metal cups on em, so I still need to try that out before I decide which enclosure to use....

I'll get back with a few impressions tonight, I just wanted to save my post before my phone decides to lose the whole thing

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,804 of 4,994

i'm also noticing overall no one has come out with a bad opinion on the v6

just sayin

Just to add to this ...

I had a set of Magnum V in wooden Vibro cups. I persisted with them as much as I could, but they never made me happy and did not compare particularly favourably to my SR80i's.

My V6 drivers arrived last week and the difference is night-and-day, even with zero-hours running-in time. At the moment I've got them in aluminium air chambers with wooden cups, but giving thought to re-homing them in all-wood. In terms of performance I've been comparing them to my PS500's - I'd say they sound different, but I couldn't pick which is better.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #3,805 of 4,994
i'm ready to get this party started but can't, i'm sitting here with my v6's, cups, and headband, and no cable it's ordered, but hasn't arrived yet  , sigh.........

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #3,807 of 4,994
...my second pair of V6 drivers arrived yesterday (sold my first build to cover some expenses, now making a second. Lordy, I'm like a pawn shop sometimes...stuff comes in and goes out all day long). I'm in the @jaywillin boat. Waiting on a cable. Also need to get off my arse and make the cups
biggrin.gif

I was naively hoping to snag some vintage SR300 with blackstar drivers on eBay, but my pocketbook was very quickly outclassed by someone who shelled out $660 for them...*sigh*

I think its a sign that I need to buy some C1 cups and a third set of drivers and compare the stock build per @Rhydon's specs to a woodied pair. That would make a good write-up.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,808 of 4,994
i have some vibro cups i got from joedoe, but i'm think i may get a pair of c6's, not sure if i want to stainless or plastic though

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #3,810 of 4,994
my cable has a wire in white and a wire in blue,which one goes to the positive side of each driver (where the red dot is) ?
do i solder the white wire to the positive side or the blue wire? THIS is the cable i have.thanks in advance

Edit:Okay so i soldered the white wire to the right hand joint and if that's wrong i don't want to know
biggrin.gif
because they work.

after soldering the cable to the drivers then installing the drivers into the striped rosewood cups from turbulent labs,putting my L Cush bowls on the cups and attaching them to the vivtar dj mixers headband assembly it's a go!

my first ten minutes of listening had me thinking they sounded about the same as my SR80i,until i put my SR80i on and realized the V6 absolutely SMOKE my SR80i
(more bass and better defined ,fuller mids, and cleaner highs without any sibilant qualities) only 20-25 minutes in and all i can say is wow! i need to order another pair of these drivers,i think i-am-iron-man's assessment post #3804 was right these sound very close in quality to my PS500e yet have their own unique character,bottom line
being that they sound incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back