Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #3,786 of 4,994
Beautiful, 7keys.  

My brother-in-law makes guitars and we often have discussions on different woods and how they affect sound.  Maple and mahogany are two of his favorite woods to use because of how rich they sound, especially in the midrange and lower treble.  Its not that these woods generate a sound of their own, but rather tend not to damp out these frequencies so that harmonics are kept alive and a more natural and realistic sound is presented.  

The C6's I think take the approach of being as acoustically inert as possible to allow focus on the sound signature of driver itself. The C6 has potential to preserve presence of all frequencies, through the combined effort of a number of interrelated strategies: tuned length of cup in proportion to specific diameter, reduction of resonance in cup through light weight and rigid structure, reduction in reflected energy back from the very open grille, design to a specific pad to minimize and manage variables around spacing to the ear canal and acoustic density/porosity of the foam, etc.

I look forward to comparing the V6 in cocobolo mountings to the V6/C6 assembly.  One approach will focus on the interaction of wood's aesthetic and acoustic properties with the V6 driver.  The almost polar opposite approach will focus on active management of several acoustic variables, by design, through synergistic development of the C6 specifically with the V6.

My expectation is that both will be very good as a function of the inherent quality of the driver resulting from the evolutionary refinement of the design. I don't expect differences between the two to be drastic, but rather nuanced like the differences between fine wines of different character and purpose.  But we'll see....

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,787 of 4,994
ha. all i can say.

c6 arrived in the mail today. i'll try to provide pictures when i convince someone to let me borrow their phone. 
stainless steel is quite beautiful. syn described the grittiness of the finish better than i could ever do, so please reference that post for more information about the feel. the stainless steel is a sort of dull gold. gorgeous, understated color.

i won't get to listen to this for another week or two; shipping them off for labor, assembly.
but just fitting the drivers into the cups without the adhesive and fitting the l-cush pads over them, it's aboslutely beautiful stuff.
far from gawdy.
gold metal on black foam; the most remarkable thing to me is the size of the cups. i get that the sizing of it all is roughly all the same, but it just feels like a less intrusive housing solution. 

ugh. the wait for my 7506s just got worse. can't ship until i get those in.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3,788 of 4,994
equedadoii
  ha. all i can say.

c6 arrived in the mail today. i'll try to provide pictures when i convince someone to let me borrow their phone. 
stainless steel is quite beautiful. syn described the grittiness of the finish better than i could ever do, so please reference that post for more information about the feel. the stainless steel is a sort of dull gold. gorgeous, understated color.

i won't get to listen to this for another week or two; shipping them off for labor, assembly.
but just fitting the drivers into the cups without the adhesive and fitting the l-cush pads over them, it's aboslutely beautiful stuff.
far from gawdy.
gold metal on black foam; the most remarkable thing to me is the size of the cups. i get that the sizing of it all is roughly all the same, but it just feels like a less intrusive housing solution. 

ugh. the wait for my 7506s just got worse. can't ship until i get those in.

Oooh.  Sounds nice.  I almost ordered the stainless steel, but it was an unknown so I thought I'd try the low cost option, so I may have a little buyers remorse.  I look forward to seeing your pictures! While I enjoy machined finishes, I really like metal with texture like you describe.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #3,789 of 4,994
I'd like to take a moment to simply say that I am really, really enjoying my Magnum V6 right now. I know some of you have yours assembled and are thoroughly enjoying the sound but some of you are still waiting on 3d printed cups or other parts. I hope to read more impressions both good and bad soon! I've settled into my pad choice for the moment in the stretched out L-Cush. I did, however switch up my method of securing them to the cups. I cut out a couple thin strips of Creatology Foam and inserted them into the groove in the inside of the L-Cush pads. This makes them grip the cups better and stay put. I'm enjoying them more than any current production Grado, more than the HD600 and HD650, the Audioquest Nighthawk, Sennheiser Momentum, NAD Viso HP 50 and many other headphones that I've heard or owned in the past (except maybe the HD800 which is something I may explore when the discounted second hand units will pop up as a result of the HD800 S). The V6 is clear, full-bodied, and tight sounding. I've decided that this thing is going on the never sell list as it is really good at what it does. As as complimentary headphone, I have a ZMF Omni en route. I've got a good feeling about them in that they will give me "bigger" sound when I'm in the mood for it.

A recommendation I have for those of you who are still experimenting:

Experiment with pads--it makes a massive difference. If you go with the L-Cush pads, I recommend a DAC/Amp that provides some warmth and a little boost to the bottom end. If you decide to go with flats or the flat/bowl hybrid, then I recommend that you pair them with an airy/extended sounding DAC/Amp setup.

Cheers!

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,790 of 4,994
  I'd like to take a moment to simply say that I am really, really enjoying my Magnum V6 right now. I know some of you have yours assembled and are thoroughly enjoying the sound but some of you are still waiting on 3d printed cups or other parts. I hope to read more impressions both good and bad soon! I've settled into my pad choice for the moment in the stretched out L-Cush. I did, however switch up my method of securing them to the cups. I cut out a couple thin strips of Creatology Foam and inserted them into the groove in the inside of the L-Cush pads. This makes them grip the cups better and stay put. I'm enjoying them more than any current production Grado, more than the HD600 and HD650, the Audioquest Nighthawk, Sennheiser Momentum, NAD Viso HP 50 and many other headphones that I've heard or owned in the past (except maybe the HD800 which is something I may explore when the discounted second hand units will pop up as a result of the HD800 S). The V6 is clear, full-bodied, and tight sounding. I've decided that this thing is going on the never sell list as it is really good at what it does. As as complimentary headphone, I have a ZMF Omni en route. I've got a good feeling about them in that they will give me "bigger" sound when I'm in the mood for it.

A recommendation I have for those of you who are still experimenting:

Experiment with pads--it makes a massive difference. If you go with the L-Cush pads, I recommend a DAC/Amp that provides some warmth and a little boost to the bottom end. If you decide to go with flats or the flat/bowl hybrid, then I recommend that you pair them with an airy/extended sounding DAC/Amp setup.

Cheers!

love it every time someone posts about the v6.
that's damn high praise to say you prefer it over the hd600 and 650s.
i'd just given thought recently to own one of the top tier flagship phones: t1, he6, hd800.
and if the v6 is getting positive reviews given your listening experience, then, well, damn.
(for the record, unless someone provides me with a super authoritative endorsement of a different phone, i may splash on the t1 someday down the line.
supposed to sound superb alongside the mojo).

if i recall correctly, despite the hd800s reputation as perhaps the most widely renowned phone,
the hd600s are said to hold their own against them.

is the creatology foam mod just about fit? or does it do anything for the sound?
again, not super informed about diying, but i wouldn't be averse to trying none-too-invasive sorts of procedures.

currently, i run an sr60i with l-cush pads out of a mojo (unbelievable sound already),
and i'll be transferring the l-pads onto my v6/c6 when it's all put together.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #3,791 of 4,994
  love it every time someone posts about the v6.
that's damn high praise to say you prefer it over the hd600 and 650s.
i'd just given thought recently to own one of the top tier flagship phones: t1, he6, hd800.
and if the v6 is getting positive reviews given your listening experience, then, well, damn.
(for the record, unless someone provides me with a super authoritative endorsement of a different phone, i may splash on the t1 someday down the line.
supposed to sound superb alongside the mojo).

if i recall correctly, despite the hd800s reputation as perhaps the most widely renowned phone,
the hd600s are said to hold their own against them.

is the creatology foam mod just about fit? or does it do anything for the sound?
again, not super informed about diying, but i wouldn't be averse to trying none-too-invasive sorts of procedures.

currently, i run an sr60i with l-cush pads out of a mojo (unbelievable sound already),
and i'll be transferring the l-pads onto my v6/c6 when it's all put together.

A few follow up comments:

1) I actually think the V6 and HD600 have some things in common sound-wise. The V6 is kind of like a clearer, more aggressive version of the HD600 with a less spacious soundstage. Less spacious may not be the right way to put it...the V6 is like front row seats with nice width and imaging, while the HD600 is a few rows back and gives you some sound out in front of you and a little less width. The HD600 is really a side-grade overall to me because it really needs some sub-bass and has a slight bit of grain in comparison to the V6 but it does retain a certain smoothness to the mids and generally pleasant sound that keeps it a classic. The HD650 has a midbass hump that annoys me but I'm sure that with the right gear-matching this can be improved.

2) Regarding the T1: I think it is inferior to the HD800 because while the T1 sounds pretty nice, has good detail, has decent bass and no real glaring flaws (save for maybe a little treble harshness)...for lack of a better description, they just generally lack character when compared to a headphone immediately impressive in certain areas like the HD800 in details and soundstage or HD600 in vocals.

3) I think the creatology foam itself is moreso a fit thing...the stretched out bowls widen the soundstage and bring the drivers closer to the ears which improves the bass. Sometime later I will try switching back to the PX100 foam (that I used to hold the Stretched Bowls in place) to see if it sounds different and report back.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,792 of 4,994
  A few follow up comments:

1) I actually think the V6 and HD600 have some things in common sound-wise. The V6 is kind of like a clearer, more aggressive version of the HD600 with a less spacious soundstage. Less spacious may not be the right way to put it...the V6 is like front row seats with nice width and imaging, while the HD600 is a few rows back and gives you some sound out in front of you and a little less width. The HD600 is really a side-grade overall to me because it really needs some sub-bass and has a slight bit of grain in comparison to the V6 but it does retain a certain smoothness to the mids and generally pleasant sound that keeps it a classic. The HD650 has a midbass hump that annoys me but I'm sure that with the right gear-matching this can be improved.

2) Regarding the T1: I think it is inferior to the HD800 because while the T1 sounds pretty nice, has good detail, has decent bass and no real glaring flaws (save for maybe a little treble harshness)...for lack of a better description, they just generally lack character when compared to a headphone immediately impressive in certain areas like the HD800 in details and soundstage or HD600 in vocals.

3) I think the creatology foam itself is moreso a fit thing...the stretched out bowls widen the soundstage and bring the drivers closer to the ears which improves the bass. Sometime later I will try switching back to the PX100 foam (that I used to hold the Stretched Bowls in place) to see if it sounds different and report back.

joeq70: Great write up and information, and we appreciate your taking the time to express your perspective and opinion.  

I'm glad to see that the more time you are spending with them, the more you are appreciating them. Sometimes, opinions wane as we become familiar with something, and the new wears off.  Other times we come to appreciate something more as we learn to recognize the nuance that may have gone unnoticed earlier, or that maybe we weren't quite ready to convey adequately.

I much appreciate your comparison to the other headphones, especially the HD600/650, since this is one of the headphones I was on the fence to buy before I decided to go the DIY and Symphone route.  To hear that you prefer the V6 to the well respected HD's, and for the reasons you do (which interestingly correspond to the only reservations I had about the HD's I auditioned) is well, music to my ears.  And to think that I will have built two pair of the V6's for what one pair of the HD's would have cost is icing on the cake.  I have got to get these things finished, but thanks for letting me live vicariously through your review in the mean time....

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3,793 of 4,994
joeq70: Great write up and information, and we appreciate your taking the time to express your perspective and opinion.  

I'm glad to see that the more time you are spending with them, the more you are appreciating them. Sometimes, opinions wane as we become familiar with something, and the new wears off.  Other times we come to appreciate something more as we learn to recognize the nuance that may have gone unnoticed earlier, or that maybe we weren't quite ready to convey adequately.

I much appreciate your comparison to the other headphones, especially the HD600/650, since this is one of the headphones I was on the fence to buy before I decided to go the DIY and Symphone route.  To hear that you prefer the V6 to the well respected HD's, and for the reasons you do (which interestingly correspond to the only reservations I had about the HD's I auditioned) is well, music to my ears.  And to think that I will have built two pair of the V6's for what one pair of the HD's would have cost is icing on the cake.  I have got to get these things finished, but thanks for letting me live vicariously through your review in the mean time....

Hey it is my pleasure! When you get your pair together remember this: Regular, unstretched bowl pads really do not do this headphone jusice imo. So don't fret if you are unimpressed when you inevitably test it out this way first.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #3,794 of 4,994
When my Omni comes in maybe I could do a tour of my Magnums and let peope hear them/compare to their own set and try some various pad materials? Or maybe I could just send around a care package of pad materials for people to take turns playing with? If any of you are interested in something like this let me know here!

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,795 of 4,994
Hey it is my pleasure! When you get your pair together remember this: Regular, unstretched bowl pads really do not do this headphone jusice imo. So don't fret if you are unimpressed when you inevitably test it out this way first.

What do you mean by stretched pads?  

I was considering hand washing the pads first because I had read they are more comfortable that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back