Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #3,812 of 4,994
  ...my second pair of V6 drivers arrived yesterday (sold my first build to cover some expenses, now making a second. Lordy, I'm like a pawn shop sometimes...stuff comes in and goes out all day long). I'm in the @jaywillin boat. Waiting on a cable. Also need to get off my arse and make the cups
biggrin.gif

I was naively hoping to snag some vintage SR300 with blackstar drivers on eBay, but my pocketbook was very quickly outclassed by someone who shelled out $660 for them...*sigh*

I think its a sign that I need to buy some C1 cups and a third set of drivers and compare the stock build per @Rhydon's specs to a woodied pair. That would make a good write-up

dude i was watching that auction... forget it 
setting up my new 3d printer now a may try the c6 
we'll see what i get

i am amazed that the v6 sounds so good in plastic
i haven't tried a woodie yet 

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,813 of 4,994
dude i was watching that auction... forget it 
setting up my new 3d printer now a may try the c6 
we'll see what i get

i am amazed that the v6 sounds so good in plastic
i haven't tried a woodie yet 

Yeah, it was one of those auctions where you think you might have a chance until some Brontosaurus Bidder steps on you in the last 30 seconds. I was surprised ( it not shocked) when they went for that much.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,814 of 4,994
HERE is a helpful article i found yesterday for anyone who like myself is new to soldering and/or has little experience and wants to learn.

for the record, i heard back from the seller of my cable (Dale at Venus Audio) late last night and he said the blue wire is the positive (facepalm!) ...why didn't i wait? because of course i soldered the white sheathed wire to the positive side of the V6 drivers and the blue sheathed wire to the ground ..sigh

whats crazy though is,they sound just fine to me i mean if they're out of phase i certainly can't tell,

still i can't help but think i should un-solder them and re-solder the wires to their proper connections on the drivers just in case they can sound better than they already do.now i'm just wondering if i should just use my soldering iron to remove the wires (i.e. as is done in this video at approx 3:48) before re-soldering them to their proper sides or if i should pick up a desoldering pump? or since they sound fine to me should i just leave it be at least for the time being? all suggestions welcome thanks.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,815 of 4,994
Its an easy mistake, one I've made many times- don't worry :) 

Last i checked, and i could be wrong, the Grado wires are Red= Left Positive, White= Right positive. Blue is negative.

The positive wire always goes to the red dot on v6.

If Dale confirmed his cable is Blue= Positive then simply heat each pad with the soldering tip, when liquid remove and replace wires. You can add a bit more solder if you like. Usually one desoldering isn't going to hurt much. Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #3,816 of 4,994
just on the Symphones shapeways page for the C6 cups and noticed the amount of cup styles available dropped and prices increased.it appears the metal cups only come in one style now and jumped from $49.99 to $69.99 ,the acylic cups are nixed entirely and the price of the plastic cups went from $15.99 to $24.99 :frowning2: and this all within the past half hour.i guess i should have ordered the plastic cups earlier
frown.gif

http://www.shapeways.com/product/FHXXSMGN9/c6-beta-1-2?li=search-results-1&optionId=58384719

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,818 of 4,994
I wanted to hear some feedback on plastic vs acrylic too. I'm guessing that the acrylic cups didn't sell well(?),i would think though that Shapeways might still be willing to make the cups in any available medium if  asked (though I have no idea how much they would cost). and honestly $24.99 is still a good price for the plastic cups compared to other available options - especially if they sound as amazing as has been reported so far.

I also wanted to mention that I've noticed my V6's bass response is really improving with burn in.oddly enough one of the songs i use for a bass test is The Carpenters track 'Bless The Beasts and The Children' which at 33 seconds in drops a low Eb1 to Ab1 on the bass and comes off rich,full and vibrant. with both my Grado PS500e and Philips Fidelio X2 you really hear it open up and there's a certain impact behind it which initially seemed to be missing on my V6, then last night I was listening to my DAP on random mode when that track came on (listening with my V6) and wow,what a difference! so i decided to throw on some old Front 242 as well as some Max Cooper and Uberzone (all great electronic music for low bass and sub bass) and it's incredible how much the V6 have improved in just the past ten hours and for the record i haven't yet repaired the reverse wiring issue  (i'm waiting til i get some blu-tack to experiment with putting a little of that on the back of the drivers before removing the V6s' from the cups at which time i will rewire them properly.

even wired backwards i really don't notice any audible phasing issues,i believe that's because i wired both drivers backwards.if  only one driver were wired improperly and the other properly i'm sure there would be an audible difference, nonetheless I am going to remedy that issue either today or tomorrow (and hopefully share some pictures at that time too) but bottom line  I am really impressed with the V6 Magnums in the Turbulent Labs rosewood cups , and can't wait to get a pair of C6 plastic to compare them with. ideally i'd like to be able to order another pair of V6 ,just depends on my wallet after all the holiday madness is over
smile_phones.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,819 of 4,994
I purchased Ear Zonk L Cush Pads and I was quite disappointed by them when paired with SR-225 drivers. 
I went ahead and fitted Turbulent X Drivers and decided to try these pads again. It's going to take a while for me to get accustomed to the new pad sound signature but I quite like them, they're like an on-ear alternative to AKG Q701's.

(Edit: I put in the values wrong with the Harman Target Curve with the initial set of graphs (see 7key's post below), the updated graphs in my post can be trusted now.)

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,820 of 4,994
  I purchased Ear Zonk L Cush Pads and I was quite disappointed by them when paired with SR-225 drivers. 
I went ahead and fitted Turbulent X Drivers and decided to try these pads again. It's going to take a while for me to get accustomed to the new pad sound signature but I quite like them, they're like an on-ear alternative to AKG Q701's.

(
Ignore the extremely high peak at at 9khz, I'm still calibrating my microphone)

Very interesting. 
I think I'll give my Ear Zonk L-cush pads a try with the V6.

Never liked the way they sounded with Grado or PX100 drivers. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #3,821 of 4,994
  Very interesting. 
I think I'll give my Ear Zonk L-cush pads a try with the V6.

Never liked the way they sounded with Grado or PX100 drivers. 

I calibrated the compensation values so the current values on my post are valid to be judged now. It was really hard to tell myself these are no longer "House Grado" headphones once I used the Ear Zonk pads. I'm now enjoying them more at longer periods of time because the pads cured the ringing with violins (somewhere in the 1-3khz area), and these are generally smoother to listen to. That's to say that I'm guilty of slapping the stock pads on once in a while for head bobbing grado fun.

To each their own sound preferences I suppose.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #3,822 of 4,994
just on the Symphones shapeways page for the C6 cups and noticed the amount of cup styles available dropped and prices increased.it appears the metal cups only come in one style now and jumped from $49.99 to $69.99 ,the acylic cups are nixed entirely and the price of the plastic cups went from $15.99 to $24.99 :frowning2: and this all within the past half hour.i guess i should have ordered the plastic cups earlier :frowning2:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/FHXXSMGN9/c6-beta-1-2?li=search-results-1&optionId=58384719

He did say it was a beta program and the price would go up
I hope it goes well and remains available
It has inspired me to buy a 3-d printer

Here is my first print

Behold.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back