Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #3,136 of 4,994
I thought X was 5?
3.5 was brighter than 4 Grey which have the best midrange and are my favorite. 4 black were inconsistent but were similar to the Grey at their best. X have more bass and less midrange detail. They are all quite similar to each other and the difference can be hard to tell at first.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #3,137 of 4,994
I thought X was 5?
3.5 was brighter than 4 Grey which have the best midrange and are my favorite. 4 black were inconsistent but were similar to the Grey at their best. X have more bass and less midrange detail. They are all quite similar to each other and the difference can be hard to tell at first.

it is. i just worded it weird 

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #3,138 of 4,994
I just want to confirm with you guys. I have green dot on the solder plate for my drivers, that's fine. But I noticed my wires have blue band and a black band. I assume blue goes on the green side of plate and the black goes on the other?

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,139 of 4,994
If you have the driver with the magnet side facing up, and the terminals facing away from you, the left terminal (the one with the green dot) is the positive. The other is the negative.

The wire colors don't matter, as long as you know which is positive, and which is negative. Usually the left and right channel will be different colors, and then there will be two that are a third color. These are the negatives.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,140 of 4,994
Took my SR60i drivers out, put in some magnum v5.  Changed the headband ti a vintage grado w/ genuine leather (before they changed it to the fake plastic headband used now)

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3,141 of 4,994
I have a question guys, should I keep the current band on my magnums or get the original grado leather one? If you aren't sure what headband I'm referring to check out my pictures. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,142 of 4,994
As my music tastes have expanded I've been really missing the bass on my Grado's. I still love all the detail that the Grado's provide though, so I'm considering whether to spend my money on Symphones Magnum v5's, l-cush cups, and maybe new wooden cups, or buy a set of new cans (Audio Technica A900x). Any input at all would be really helpful

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #3,143 of 4,994
I'd go for something different. I don't think Magnums are going to get you more bass than Grados. Magnums aren't really much different than Grados in terms of their sound signature. They're just smoother and don't have as much bite.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,144 of 4,994
I'd go for something different. I don't think Magnums are going to get you more bass than Grados. Magnums aren't really much different than Grados in terms of their sound signature. They're just smoother and don't have as much bite.

There is definitely more bass with the magnums.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3,145 of 4,994
The Magnums are no doubt better than any Grado I've had -- SR80, SR80i, SR325i, Alessandro MS-2. And yes... there's slightly more bass, but it's not earth shattering. The point I was trying to make is that if I'm going for bass and bass accuracy I'm not going for a Grado-type headphone.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #3,146 of 4,994
  The Magnums are no doubt better than any Grado I've had -- SR80, SR80i, SR325i, Alessandro MS-2. And yes... there's slightly more bass, but it's not earth shattering. The point I was trying to make is that if I'm going for bass and bass accuracy I'm not going for a Grado-type headphone.

I like the smoothness of the magnums compared to the other grado's but want another bass heavy earphone also.

There's a little car in my neighborhood and when it come around the corner the ground shakes and dogs run for cover. I want bass like that.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,147 of 4,994
...LMAO...bass like that can be rather fun. I am toying with the idea of a pair of DT770 for that (and possibly getting some wooden cups for them later) or maybe getting a knockoff of the Thunderpants made...either way, I am expecting more bass kicks from one of them.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3,148 of 4,994
  First, I have not used any pink noise or or any other burn-in mechanism other than playing music through them for my pleasure. I don't think they've changed much if at all since I got my V5 drivers, so my vote is no, there is no burn in necessary.

Second, the L-cush Grado pad is the best pad for the Magnum V5...the other pads don't even come close in my opinion.

Lastly, I have found that the source makes the most difference for the Magnum. I happen to use an Aune T1 which is a USB Tube DAC and solid state amp combined. It's the best thing I have heard for my Magnums. Check the Aune T1 thread here: CLICK HERE.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Sorry this is dating back some....but have you heard the Aune T1 vs the Little Dot 1+? how would you compare the two? I'm referring to using these with a magnum build 

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #3,150 of 4,994
Cant believe this thread is so inactive 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back