Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #3,106 of 4,994
A while back user Eyalcat complained of a complete lack of bass...there are variations between drivers sometimes, this has been noted with standard Grados, Alessandro's and Magnums, this could be what you are experiencing.

Personally I found that foam strips around the driver warmed up the sound and a flush fit with no foam strips thinned it out. The wood used in your cups also plays a part.

How are you mounting the drivers, what cable are you using, and what cups are you using?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3,107 of 4,994
That could be it. I basically went full turbulent with their cups, cable and drivers. I added blu tak to the back of the foam strips in order to mount it to the wood securely hoping it might give me better bass. Well it worked, but what you're saying could be what is potentially thinning the rest of the sq.

I'll play around with it a little, I did noticed some scratching noises coming through the drivers when I adjusted the cable's plug on my nexus 5. I was worried I got a bad audio out on my nexus, but after trying my other headphones with it,  it didn't seem to be the case.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #3,108 of 4,994
I would lose the blu-tak and see what happens...can't hurt to try. I know the Turbulent drivers were supposed to have been specifically designed around those cups...

Try cleaning the jack on your cable...it might just need a dab of de-oxit.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #3,109 of 4,994
Personally I found that foam strips around the driver warmed up the sound and a flush fit with no foam strips thinned it out. The wood used in your cups also plays a part.

Thanks for this information.  I received my Turbulent S a couple of days ago and just finished mounting them in some iroko cups I finished making today.  I wasn't sure the best way to mount the drivers so I put them directly into the wood without any foam strips. I may try them with a very thin strip of electrical tape because I don't have room for foam tape.  I will make a couple of more sets of cups (limba, cherry, walnut ??) and make one or more of them big enough to allow use of foam tape. 

Mine are sounding very good, easily IMO better than my MS1i or SR225i.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #3,110 of 4,994
It's been way too quiet on this thread...I finally finished Magnum Build, so to provide a little light relief:

Headband: Turbulent Labs
Cable: fellow head-fier wje
Cups: fellow head-fier Cabillas
Drivers: Magnum X

...and extremely generous assistance when my rather stunted soldering skills couldn't live up to the challenge, fellow head-fier Ted AKA the man behind Headphone Lounge.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #3,111 of 4,994
Ya it has been quiet here. Personally I've given the mags a backseat to my planar setup, but, now that its on pause, I plan to fiddle with my mags again. I need to re cable, make new cups, and figure out the headband situation. Making wooden gimbals hasn't worked out so far for me. Rod blocks would be easy, just havnt tried yet. I just need to finish these things, its been to long. But, I'm going to make an in line resistor to use with my new mini x, they sound good with it, but I get some hiss. There is somethi g about the "grado" sound that keeps me attached.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,112 of 4,994
...it is indeed that Grado sound...

Today I got a pair of ear-zonk G-Cush pads in. This was my first experience with a G-Cush of any sort. I was getting them more for a SennGrado build than for my Magnums, but figured since I had them, why not...I could feel immediately a lessening of the "immediacy" that you get with Grados and Magnums, but with it came better soundstage, increased detail, and a more even tonality across the board. Most enjoyable.

So now I have, essentially, a pair of knock-off GS1000 I suppose. The build consists of Magnum X drivers, a Turbulent Labs headband, a pair of GS1000-style Cabillas cups, ear-zonk G-cush pads and a cable made by fellow head-fier wje. I have never heard (and more than likely will never financially be able to own) a pair of GS1000 or GS1000i, but that's nothing to get my knickers in a twist over. I am really liking what I hear.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #3,113 of 4,994
well now ill be ordering some gcush! i had always heard you lose to much overall with them. But, increased soundstage and detail? Im in!!!

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,114 of 4,994
I can see how folks would say that, and YMMV too, but I am liking the little bit of lessening of the Grado "in-your-face" sound, and the increased comfort. These make the L-Cush feel like an exercise in masochism.

I suspect that with my Graham Slee Voyager and it's contour switch the "loss" would be minimal too...sadly I sold it and my larger iPod off and am biding my time with an old iPod Touch 1G, an old Sony NWZ Walkman and a FiiO E5. I am waiting on the FiiO X5 global release. Remarkable what those old Touches can do with ALAC and a line out though...

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,116 of 4,994
If it is, its not by leaps and bounds to my wooden ears :)

I have spent most of my time with better headphones with my head between the pads of a pair of Grados, and after years of L and S cush pads, the sound and the feeling is simply "more relaxed". I used to feel a little fatigued at the end of a day at the office listening. I suspect these will change that when I return to my desk next week.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,117 of 4,994
Thanks. I don't have flats. G's are going to me right now. Every other - S-cush/HD414 sound pretty much the same, L-cush a bit different, L-cush upside down - slightly different to others. It's almost like having a new pair of headphones.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3,118 of 4,994
It's been way too quiet on this thread...I finally finished Magnum Build, so to provide a little light relief:

Headband: Turbulent Labs
Cable: fellow head-fier wje
Cups: fellow head-fier Cabillas
Drivers: Magnum X

...and extremely generous assistance when my rather stunted soldering skills couldn't live up to the challenge, fellow head-fier Ted AKA the man behind Headphone Lounge.

Nice, didn't you have another pair of magnums? 

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #3,119 of 4,994
Indeed...and sold them off like a fool...this was to rebuild the same pair... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back