Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3,091 of 4,994
Anyone know how international delivery works with DHL and turbulent drivers? I have the USPS tracking number and it says out for delivery, but on the other side of town. Is it possible they drop the package off at the post office for pickup?

I know they close early tomorrow and jan 1st, so I'm a bit worried.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3,092 of 4,994
It takes for freaking ever...my drivers took three weeks both times I ordered from Turbulent. I am now going into week 4 waiting for a headband. It's painful, but always worth it in the end...

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,093 of 4,994
Ya 3 weeks for me too. And barely any use in that dhl tracking. But, that wait, that wait is what always makes it fun for me. 3 weeks for the v5, 3 weeks for my he4(was not told is was backordered)!!!, and 2 weeks it'll be for my new amp. Its just like the anticipation for Xmas when your a little kid, the wait and anticipation is fantastic! Kind of....

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,094 of 4,994
LMAO...it almost turns into a spiritual excercise or an existentialist novel...patience is a virtue though. I guess...

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3,095 of 4,994
I ordered mine a week before black friday. I didn't realize they were on sabbatical until dec. 9 so I've been waiting a good bit now. It's finally in town and I don't live in a large city so it's a bit worrisome when USPS is on the other side of town trying to deliver this thing.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3,097 of 4,994
Amazing how long these folks take to get the product to the buyer....like buying Russian tubes from an ebayer in Siberia except that in Russia the postal tracking system is updated more frequently.

I ordered my drivers December 17th.  DHL notified of order December 23, processed in Singapore terminal December 27.  Thats it!

I hope they're worth the wait.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,098 of 4,994
Hi guys. I'm really curious as to how these perform against higher end Grado's, with MS pro's in terms of detail, separation, and neutrality? If hadn't bought it I would've taken the magnum route. Maybe my next buy if they do compare well in those areas plus the fact they have their own signature, so I can keep them both.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Magnum drivers are quite favorable performers.  When finished, their sound can rival many of the higher end Grado and Alessandro headphones.  Though, I will always encourage one to take time and listen to the upper end Grados, too.  They hold their value quite well, so finding a bargain is harder to come by.  But, the point I'm getting to is that there are variations in sound signature towards the top, too.  The RS1i is a nicely refined headphone - yet, unless  you're looking to hear how that refinement can connect your music to you, then it can be hard to appreciate the RS1i.  If a person heard a pair of SR-60 Grados that was modified by installing wooden cups, then tried the RS1i, there wouldn't be a lot of "wow" factor initially.  In that situation, a listener is expecting a sound that is 10x what the modified SR-60 was.  Yet, it's a smaller gap and feels minimal initially  ... but, when you pull up your music and have the time to go through some of your music where there are unique passages, the details will really shine through.

Again, the signatures can be quite different, so I wanted to recap on that.  The PS-500 has quite a different signature than the RS1i, RS2i, etc.  I has a somewhat laid-back upper frequency response, but does have quite a surprising amount of bass.  But, I don't necessarily equate all bass to quality bass.  With the PS-500, it seems like the bass, while there, present, thick and dark sounding could be appreciated by all, I've found it it isn't.  It probably has as many objectors as those who might appreciate the sound.  The Magnum drivers are a great alternative for someone who wants to be creative and build a pair of headphones that is unique and custom to that particular user.

Amazing how long these folks take to get the product to the buyer....like buying Russian tubes from an ebayer in Siberia except that in Russia the postal tracking system is updated more frequently.

I ordered my drivers December 17th.  DHL notified of order December 23, processed in Singapore terminal December 27.  Thats it!

I hope they're worth the wait.

Speaking of longer shipping times, the holidays can drag down the shipping speed by quite a bit too.  But, the real purpose of my response was to indicate that on January 31st, it will be the Chinese New Year.  I remember a few years back, the holiday meant that a lot of businesses shut down for a period of time.  Hifiman for example, experienced a 2 to 3 week delay in product deliveries as once they opened back up, they had a backlog of orders to process.   So, if you're considering something for a purchase in the area around or within China, you might want to plan your purchase accordingly.

Enjoy!

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,099 of 4,994

The Magnum drivers are quite favorable performers.  When finished, their sound can rival many of the higher end Grado and Alessandro headphones.  Though, I will always encourage one to take time and listen to the upper end Grados, too.  They hold their value quite well, so finding a bargain is harder to come by.  But, the point I'm getting to is that there are variations in sound signature towards the top, too.  The RS1i is a nicely refined headphone - yet, unless  you're looking to hear how that refinement can connect your music to you, then it can be hard to appreciate the RS1i.  If a person heard a pair of SR-60 Grados that was modified by installing wooden cups, then tried the RS1i, there wouldn't be a lot of "wow" factor initially.  In that situation, a listener is expecting a sound that is 10x what the modified SR-60 was.  Yet, it's a smaller gap and feels minimal initially  ... but, when you pull up your music and have the time to go through some of your music where there are unique passages, the details will really shine through.

Again, the signatures can be quite different, so I wanted to recap on that.  The PS-500 has quite a different signature than the RS1i, RS2i, etc.  I has a somewhat laid-back upper frequency response, but does have quite a surprising amount of bass.  But, I don't necessarily equate all bass to quality bass.  With the PS-500, it seems like the bass, while there, present, thick and dark sounding could be appreciated by all, I've found it it isn't.  It probably has as many objectors as those who might appreciate the sound.  The Magnum drivers are a great alternative for someone who wants to be creative and build a pair of headphones that is unique and custom to that particular user.

Thank you for this information.  It give me hope for my Turbulent X drivers and adds some valuable perspective to my knowledge of Grados.

I keep waiting for the Turbulent X and I'm not even sure I will like them any more than my Alessandro MS1i which I already have.  I have been considering buying a GS1000 or possibly a PS1000 but one of my winter hobbies (when I have access to the wood shop) is making wooden cups and modding headphones to perform significantly better than their price.  I don't think it will help my hobby if I own a headphone that is already "better" than any mod I am likely to produce.

I should be receiving some used Grado 225i tomorrow and I'll put those drivers in one of the sets of cups I have so maybe that will keep me content for a while. 

I have read most of your posts on the Sennheiser PX100 II drivers and I came close to buying them but I'm shooting for something that I believe I will enjoy a bit more.  I really like a slightly bright HP that produces an open and "airy" sound and my experience with Sennies is that they don't do that.

Thank you for all of your posts.  I really value what you have to say.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3,100 of 4,994

I have read most of your posts on the Sennheiser PX100 II drivers and I came close to buying them but I'm shooting for something that I believe I will enjoy a bit more.  I really like a slightly bright HP that produces an open and "airy" sound and my experience with Sennies is that they don't do that.

If you're familiar with the Sennheiser HD-600/650 signature, that really doesn't get shared largely across the Sennheiser line.  I have the HD-555s which I prefer because it has better upper end detail than the 600/650.

As to the PX100 II drivers, they are somewhat unique as they have a lot of detail. Almost the polar opposite of the 600/650 series.

Though, since this is the Magnum thread, I don't want to derail it.  A few years back when I started to get deeper in Grados (even though I had a 9-year-old pair of SR-60s since day 1), I realized that the Magnum was different than Grado when compared to the Grado "house sound" at the time.  I've always said that for someone who's heard a Grado and didn't care for the signature, the listener really owes it to themselves to take the time to hear the Magnum.  Not that the Magnum is the polar opposite of Grado, but at the time, I felt that the Magnum drivers were something that Rhydon had created to resolve some of the deficiencies present in the Grado drivers.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #3,101 of 4,994

If you're familiar with the Sennheiser HD-600/650 signature, that really doesn't get shared largely across the Sennheiser line.  I have the HD-555s which I prefer because it has better upper end detail than the 600/650.

As to the PX100 II drivers, they are somewhat unique as they have a lot of detail. Almost the polar opposite of the 600/650 series.

Though, since this is the Magnum thread, I don't want to derail it.  A few years back when I started to get deeper in Grados (even though I had a 9-year-old pair of SR-60s since day 1), I realized that the Magnum was different than Grado when compared to the Grado "house sound" at the time.  I've always said that for someone who's heard a Grado and didn't care for the signature, the listener really owes it to themselves to take the time to hear the Magnum.  Not that the Magnum is the polar opposite of Grado, but at the time, I felt that the Magnum drivers were something that Rhydon had created to resolve some of the deficiencies present in the Grado drivers.

Thanks again.  More useful information.  I'm not so much sold on the "Grado" sound but I like a really open and airy sound stage with detail.   I am looking forward to receiving the Magnum/Turbulent X.  I like the Alessandros so I expect I will like the Xs.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #3,102 of 4,994
I just received my Turbulent X and subsequently a surprise.  I assumed that these were 40mm drivers and that I read a post indicating that they are 40.6 mm.  The ones I received are 46mm diameter so back to the woodshop.

As luck would have it, I just started on some 45mm cups this morning.  Now instead of putting in the drivers from some 225i, they will get the Turbulent X.

EDIT:  Just did a search and sure enough on the previous page of this thread Levictus indicates the exact size is 45.6mm.......age is getting to me I guess.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,103 of 4,994
interested to hear your thoughts on the v5 drivers. Still unsure if ill keep mine or not, but they've been fun to build and tinker with either way

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #3,104 of 4,994
  interested to hear your thoughts on the v5 drivers. Still unsure if ill keep mine or not, but they've been fun to build and tinker with either way

I'll let you know.  I will probably try to get a couple of iroko cups cut to right dimensions tomorrow so I can start to listen to them.  If I like the combination I'll make some and finish them up.  I will also probably make some limba cups.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3,105 of 4,994
I've been using my new magnums with the woodies from turbulent for few a weeks now.

Short summary: I can't stop shaking off these feeling of very recessed mids. Either I soldered incorrectly or got a bad pair of drivers/cables. Everything sounds really far away besides the midbass & bass. I'm not honestly sure, I did a test with my ms1 to see if something was different and straight away I could hear the in-your-head mids grados are known for.

Does anyone else have this issue or know of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back