Nov 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3,061 of 4,994
Nov 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3,062 of 4,994
Nov 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,063 of 4,994
glad i could help

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #3,064 of 4,994
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1170

post 1177 brotha, now get at it!
If you fail, i shall send you mine sir.

I'm happy to know that my documented procedure is still being utilized.  
tongue.gif

Actually, it is the most painless and safest way to liberate a driver as opposed to hacking things up and using vary sharp knives and tools.  What could go wrong?

I actually liberated a pair of drivers the other evening and used a similar method as i didn't have access to my wooden blocks.  I used a much larger clamp (torque) as well as one of my impact sockets to press out the driver (24mm?).  First, i cut the notches as described in the procedure, but has been documented here prior.  Then, I just cranked on that clamp and the driver came safely out.  Since I have an old soldering iron that I used for melting plastic, I used that instead of the side cutter to snip those protrusions loose.  It went pretty quick, and the melting took those pieces down pretty quick.  Plus, I had a great experience during the process by inhaling some interesting fumes.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3,065 of 4,994
wje, thanks for the anecdote.  I had been thinking I would make something out of wood on the lathe that would just put pressure on the outer edge of the driver, but I expect a socket of the correct size will do the same thing. I will be trying it.

I am planning to use this method to install the drivers in my cups.  I will sand the cups to the exact size (trial and error) and then press the drivers into them.  It should make installation and removal much easier. And I'm looking for that because I expect I will have to do some experimentation.....I'm making my woodies to emulate the dimensions of the nickchen MS1i extension mod, That is 14mm extension and MS1000 pads.

Also, are Magnum drivers still available anywhere?

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3,066 of 4,994
Turbulent labs. But expect a 3 week wait to get them.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #3,067 of 4,994
Turbulent labs. But expect a 3 week wait to get them.

Thank you.  I had been searching on Magnum.  I expect I will be ordering a set pretty soon.....just have to do a little research first to confirm that's what I want.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #3,069 of 4,994

Take your time with that. What i found is, most Magnum owners were not quite satisfied and went back to actual Grado drivers. Whoever Grado's OEM is, they got some f'n magicks. 

Thanks!  I haven't ordered them yet....

I finished my first set of limba wood cups, and as a test, I put into them the 40mm drivers from a set of $10 Auvio headphones I got at RadioShack on Black Friday.  They improved the sound of the Auvios quite a bit and now I'm trying to decide what to do as a next step. 

I can put the drivers from my Alessandro MS1i in the limba wood cups, however, I am really reticent to rip drivers out of a brand new set of headphones that I truly love just as they are.  Of course, Alessandro will rebuild them and put in new drivers for $35 but I still hate to do it.

I can go ahead and buy the Turbulent X drivers.

Or, I can try and find another set of Grado/Alessandro drivers.

Decisions, decisions......

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3,070 of 4,994
A new build! Well...almost...just waiting on my headband from Turbulent...

Magnum X drivers, Cabillas cups, cable courtesy of fellow head-fier, wje. Had trouble with the installation a little and was helped out by Saint Ted of Headphonelounge...

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,071 of 4,994
Have the v4 grey magnums that so many love. Had black driver version for a small period of time and they were way too sibilant. Back to the the grey v4 -- I find them to be very smooth across the board. Nice separation between instruments. Nice detail. Just a tad bit of brightness in the 2khz range. Bass is a little loose like all Grado type headphones. Still wouldn't give 'em up. What are the Magnum X like in comparison? I know things are very cup dependent.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #3,072 of 4,994
  Have the v4 grey magnums that so many love. Had black driver version for a small period of time and they were way too sibilant. Back to the the grey v4 -- I find them to be very smooth across the board. Nice separation between instruments. Nice detail. Just a tad bit of brightness in the 2khz range. Bass is a little loose like all Grado type headphones. Still wouldn't give 'em up. What are the Magnum X like in comparison? I know things are very cup dependent.

I think you've basically noted why I was looking for the v.4 or even the v. 3.5 of the Magnums a short while back.  I liked the Magnum X drivers, but they also didn't have some of the same magic that the earlier Magnums had that I owned.

I just couldn't put my finger on it ...

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,073 of 4,994

I personally like the X more than the black V4. X is snappier sounding with better details but both are great no question. I use an Aune T1 tube DAC though with an intimate forward sounding tube to tailor it to my preferences.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,074 of 4,994
Sorry to bother but do the Turbulent X Drivers have the same dimensions as the as the Grado Prestige Models with the "i" or the Alessandro MS1i? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to get a wood turner to make me some custom wooden cups out of the dimensions of the SR225i as I am having trouble finding accurate dimensions for the mushroom cups on google.

Side note - does anyone have any extra Grado Plastic Cups/Housing "i" for the Prestige models? I'm deathly afraid of messing up both the drivers and the cups during the removal process. Please PM if you have an extra set.

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,075 of 4,994
Sorry to bother but do the Turbulent X Drivers have the same dimensions as the as the Grado Prestige Models with the "i" or the Alessandro MS1i? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to get a wood turner to make me some custom wooden cups out of the dimensions of the SR225i as I am having trouble finding accurate dimensions for the mushroom cups on google.

Side note - does anyone have any extra Grado Plastic Cups/Housing "i" for the Prestige models? I'm deathly afraid of messing up both the drivers and the cups during the removal process. Please PM if you have an extra set.

According to Luke at Turbulent Labs, the exact measurement for press fitting a magnum driver is 45.6mm and a depth of 9mm. This should be the same for any grado driver as well. I find it easiest to get it to 45mm and hand sand to fit. Hope that helps :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back