Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3,031 of 4,994

The velour that I have doesn't stretch as much as the cheaper velour that is sold in standard fabric shops. That version of velour is designed more for clothing and requires a lighter weight an more flexibilty.  However, that variation is made from a knit fabric.  When you cut out the pieces and attempt to sew them together, the knit backing tends to shred quite a bit of the strings that hold it all together.  This is why I chose to move towards the upholstery grade version.  It is denser, but doesn't shed nearly to the degree of the lighter weight material.

But, your thought is a great one.  Since the use of the spray adhesive would be used, then the lighter velour would have more flexibilty and since one would not be stitching it, then it would stay together relatively well.

I did get 4 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads yesterday.  I'll get the reverse quarter mod performed and check into applying some of my velour to the pads in the next 3-4 days.  I have the L-Cush pads, but not any spares to sacrifice at this point.

Full of good ideas, I am :wink:

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3,032 of 4,994
So in the quest for alternate drivers, do you think these are acceptable stats?

Frequency Range 250Hz ~ 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohm
Sound Pressure Level 110dB
Power - Rated 0.1W
Power - Max 0.2W
Height 9.50mm
Size / Dimension 40.00mm Dia

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #3,033 of 4,994
250hz?

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3,035 of 4,994
So in the quest for alternate drivers, do you think these are acceptable stats?

Frequency Range 250Hz ~ 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohm
Sound Pressure Level 110dB
Power - Rated 0.1W
Power - Max 0.2W
Height 9.50mm
Size / Dimension 40.00mm Dia

Hi,  It seems a bit light on the bass end.  If this driver were used for other purposes (non-music) it would be a good product.  For headphones, not so much.  It could go lower with the bass response than the stated level, but it's hard to tell how it might present itself.  Possible distortion? Etc.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #3,036 of 4,994
I don't even pretend to know how to interpret the charts, but what I've been reading is that 20-20 is ideal for frequency response in a driver. That's the same response as a sr60i but here at 8ohm as opposed to 32ohm loading. Not the easiest thing to grasp :wink:

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #3,037 of 4,994
I don't even pretend to know how to interpret the charts, but what I've been reading is that 20-20 is ideal for frequency response in a driver. That's the same response as a sr60i but here at 8ohm as opposed to 32ohm loading. Not the easiest thing to grasp
wink.gif

No, I understand.  The 20 Hz to 20 kHz is just the range that the driver is capable of.  The music we listen to can be a big factor, too.  If it's bassy music, it could easily reach down to the 40 - 60 Hz, if not a bit below.  Higher frequencies - certain instruments could push the driver into the upper frequency ranges.  Then again, we also have to take other factors into consideration, too.  If our own hearing has limitations and we can't hear above 12 kHz, then we'll never use that capability of the driver.

If you go into a discount store and look at the packages of ear buds, you'll see almost all of the ear buds in the $10 - $20 range indicate a 20 Hz - 20 kHz response rate.  Personally, such marketing numbers in that case are full of fluff.  The graphs and frequency ranges are good tools.  But, we also have to understand the other conditions, too.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3,038 of 4,994
Hooray! Cabillas cups arrived today:

As always, gorgeous....

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,040 of 4,994
Indeed...these were slightly different this time around...

1. No ridge for the drivers to sit against inside the cup (easily remedied with a thin strip of foam tape).
2. The holes for the headband gimbals go all the way through the walls, they aren't just indents.
3. The last pair needed foam strips around the edge of the drivers to seat them firmly, this pair fit absolutely perfectly, no need for any foam.

Still gorgeous workmanship.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #3,041 of 4,994
Man, those are nice.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #3,042 of 4,994
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3,043 of 4,994
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.

What measurement did he use for the press fit if I may ask? Can you get a caliper on that? Thanks :wink:

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3,044 of 4,994
Hmmmm, no calipers unfortunately, but Jin at Turbulent kindly gave me the dimensions on the Magnum X drivers, which is what I am using here. 4.5 cm across, and 9 mm deep.

Fits in these cups like a glove. Unbelievable actually.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,045 of 4,994
What measurement did he use for the press fit if I may ask? Can you get a caliper on that? Thanks
wink.gif

I have a spare Magnum (v. 3.5, actually) but I don't have a caliper.  Since I only have one working driver, I figure I'll hold onto it in the event I ever go deaf in one ear, it might be of value some day.  
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back