Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #3,002 of 4,994
Found this driver link...it actually bills them as "The original AKG fever unit K450 K420 K430 K416 Q460 K480NC 40mm headphone speakers". Hmmm? Thoughts?

http://www.85china.com/product/20601236735/The%20original%20AKG%20fever%20unit%20K450%20K420%20K430%20K416%20Q460%20K480NC%2040mm%20headphone%20speakers

Yes.  This is a good find.  I think aside from the other drivers that have been located at Parts-Express, Mouser, etc., These would be a much better choice as they were used in the AKG headphones.  I'm assuming the model numbers listed for the AKG headphones were all open headphones?  Again, a very good find.  I'll get into some of these other options in the future.

For now, my focus is on getting the Senn PX100 II finished up.  I had Al DiMeola and his Beatles tribute album on today.  The strings of Al's acoustic guitar were nothing short of spectacular.  Plus, the width of the sound seemed to exceed the Grado by a fair bit.  I'll have to perform some A/B tests between one of my Graado pairs and the Senn drivers to be able to confirm this.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #3,003 of 4,994
  imagine the discount grado gets by buying in bulk. probably buys them for $2 a set......oh that's right, they're hand made and laboured over for days in a brooklyn basement not bought in bulk from china despite evidence such as pallet receits and common sense suggesting that is the fact and no evidence to the contrary. Someone should buy a set and slap them in some cups. Change the thickness of the felt pad and degaus the magnet to taste. If it's decent, then we can fine tune the cups to them

there doesn't appear to be a minimum order on that driver set ! nice find leviticus. If they sound good we can start a new thread and maybe convince the maker to even tweek it a bit for us. Talk about DIY grassroots people power ! Imagine an upper midFi grado style phone made by the people for the people for $100 . That's the stuff dreams are made of.

hey man, you'd kill capitalism!

:wink: 

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3,004 of 4,994

Yes.  This is a good find.  I think aside from the other drivers that have been located at Parts-Express, Mouser, etc., These would be a much better choice as they were used in the AKG headphones.  I'm assuming the model numbers listed for the AKG headphones were all open headphones?  Again, a very good find.  I'll get into some of these other options in the future.

For now, my focus is on getting the Senn PX100 II finished up.  I had Al DiMeola and his Beatles tribute album on today.  The strings of Al's acoustic guitar were nothing short of spectacular.  Plus, the width of the sound seemed to exceed the Grado by a fair bit.  I'll have to perform some A/B tests between one of my Graado pairs and the Senn drivers to be able to confirm this.

wje
the AKG phones listed were closed back and a noise cancelling version. That aside, it bears an uncanny resemblance to the grado driver without the screen.

DIY'ers unite ! let's take back this effin hobby ! i smell revolution in the air.. leviticus ordered a set so we can see if the driver is workable.

Confirmed, I did order a set. It was about $15 shipped for a pair. Downside is, it can take upwards of 25-30 days to arrive. Will keep you posted...

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #3,005 of 4,994
hey...just to sort of get a head count...what amps do you guys use with your magnums? do you use any? do you use a DAC? do you use both? or neither at all?

also how did you come to the conclusion that you wanted to include the DAC/amp in your magnum pairing....

thanks! i look forward to some interesting answers! 

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3,006 of 4,994
hey...just to sort of get a head count...what amps do you guys use with your magnums? do you use any? do you use a DAC? do you use both? or neither at all?

also how did you come to the conclusion that you wanted to include the DAC/amp in your magnum pairing....

Fiio e17 serving dac duty feeding a vintage pioneer sx727 as the amp.
overkill for the magnum but adds some oomph to the lower end and overall detail and separation. Love vintage amps and I love pioneer especially, warm forward sounding amps. The e17 is more a temp dac as mainly have it for a portable for me re400 and shure 840. Ill upgrade at some point but for now it does its job.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #3,008 of 4,994
Little dot mk I ftw! Or the o2 combo... Or some audio gd love! All very good for the money!

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #3,009 of 4,994
  wje
the AKG phones listed were closed back and a noise cancelling version. That aside, it bears an uncanny resemblance to the grado driver without the screen.

Confirmed, I did order a set. It was about $15 shipped for a pair. Downside is, it can take upwards of 25-30 days to arrive. Will keep you posted...

It looks like those drivers have one hole open on the back (ie: like when we vent a pair of Grados and poke holes in the felt) and they don't have the two holes on the rear of the magnet...

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3,011 of 4,994
Fiio e17 serving dac duty feeding a vintage pioneer sx727 as the amp.
overkill for the magnum but adds some oomph to the lower end and overall detail and separation. Love vintage amps and I love pioneer especially, warm forward sounding amps. The e17 is more a temp dac as mainly have it for a portable for me re400 and shure 840. Ill upgrade at some point but for now it does its job.

I have an sx650 pioneer for my receiver in regards to my stereo setup. i absolutely love it!

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,012 of 4,994

I am running a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. Source is mainly cd through a Rotel RCD-965BX LE with dual D/A converters. I also have my pc connected via hdmi for lossless playback.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #3,013 of 4,994
well ladies and gents, i am keeping my magnums for the time being,as i want to at least finish my build. I need to get some woodworking time in, which i probably wont see until january at least. BUT, here is my question which im sure has been answered over, and over again.  Is the gcush on a magnum "standard" cup size build going to just muddy up the bass and somewhat ruin the overall signature? I am trying to figure out an over ear solution here as on ear now annoys me after having giant orthos.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,014 of 4,994
  well ladies and gents, i am keeping my magnums for the time being,as i want to at least finish my build. I need to get some woodworking time in, which i probably wont see until january at least. BUT, here is my question which im sure has been answered over, and over again.  Is the gcush on a magnum "standard" cup size build going to just muddy up the bass and somewhat ruin the overall signature? I am trying to figure out an over ear solution here as on ear now annoys me after having giant orthos.

I found that putting a G-cush on my 125i's slightly cleaned up my bass... but everyone has their own perceptions I guess :)
Go for the Ear-Zonk G-Cushions on amazon and try them out :) only $20 :)

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #3,015 of 4,994

I found that putting a G-cush on my 125i's slightly cleaned up my bass... but everyone has their own perceptions I guess :)
Go for the Ear-Zonk G-Cushions on amazon and try them out :) only $20 :)

Correct.  The Ear Zonk G-Cush alternatives are really good pads.  I initially had one issue where the mounting hole on one had been cut a bit too large, which prevented one from staying on the headphone when not in use.  Ear Zonk is located in the U.S. I returned the ear pads to Amazon and was refunded the purchase price.  Ear Zonk then shipped me the replacement pair of pads via Amazon for free as a courtesy.   I have 2 pair of their L-Cush, too, and think the pads are very good alternatives to the Grado authentic pads for a very good price.  Their comfort level is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back