Grado Fan Club!
May 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #7,097 of 65,579
Quote:
 Reading on Headroom site that the RS1 is a larger driver than the RS2, so do the pads still rest on top of the ear?

RS1 and RS2 have the same size driver and pad. The RS1 does have a slightly larger cup and metal gimbals so it is a little heavier than the RS2 and hence a little less "comfortable".

May 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #7,098 of 65,579
Can anyone compare igrado's to sr60i's? Is it worth the upgrade?

I am considering the 60i + fiio E11. Not interested in spending more than that. 

The SR-60i are more comfortable and have a bit more bass.
The big difference is the treble, the 60i are brighter and definitely sound more energetic and electrifying. I think the iGrados are a nice mellow sounding headphone, but they have a weird fit to them, i.e. I usually only wear them for 20-40 minutes at a time and could not imagine wearing them for hours on end!

In terms of pure sound, you could easily justify having both 'phones for different kinds of music.

May 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #7,099 of 65,579
Quote:
Can anyone compare igrado's to sr60i's? Is it worth the upgrade?

I am considering the 60i + fiio E11. Not interested in spending more than that. 

The SR60i and the fiio would be a good combo, I think.

I use the SR60i along with a Bio Science Geek cmoy for my portable rig sometimes and it works great

May 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #7,100 of 65,579
Thanks chris J and whirlwind. I don't have any doubts that the 60i + a nice amp would work beautifully together. 

The perennial question I have is whether there will be 'too much treble.'

Honestly, the igrado's were, but burned in very, very nicely and setlled in to almost an ideal extent, with nice warmth and detail, without being harsh. 

Right now, the key comparison for me is the koss ksc75 (with headband mod) vs. grado 60i

May 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #7,102 of 65,579
Hey guys!  Off topic question here.   So I have an Alessandro MS2i bought from the first owner who owns it for less than 2 months.
Perfect headphone, except the wires were not rolled smoothly rounded when the first owner store it.  

Kind of like storing an extension cord from a garage in  figure 8 ....  So whenever I tried to hook the phone to my computer, there are bent spot every 5 inches of the cord.
When I sold my 5 months old PS500s, I always try to make the loop as round as possible whenever I store it.  Is there a way to fix this ?

May 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #7,103 of 65,579
Quote:
The thing with the Vahalla is the same I encountered with the Little Dot MKIII. 32 ohm is the very lowest recommended impedance as they are really designed for higher impedance phones. The Schiit Lyr will be a better match.

Of course, this is paper specs. At one point, I had a Little Dot I+ and MKIII and on some recordings I swear I preferred the "poorly matched" MKIII to the I+. I eventually kept the I+ mainly because it was cheaper and the difference to my ears was a wash. If you like the looks of the MKIII I would recommend trying it. The Little Dot I+ and Shiit Lyr are technically the "properly matched" options, however.

Thanks for the feedback on those amps pallentx.  The Lyr was a little more than I wanted to spend, although not out the question.  It seemed like overkill for my needs pumping 6w into 32 ohm.  Especially since I am just looking to check out tube sound vs adding any real power.  I find the volume levels from my ipod to meet my needs.  Maybe I am just destined for the LD i+.

May 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #7,104 of 65,579
Quote:
Hey guys!  Off topic question here.   So I have an Alessandro MS2i bought from the first owner who owns it for less than 2 months.
Perfect headphone, except the wires were not rolled smoothly rounded when the first owner store it.  

Kind of like storing an extension cord from a garage in  figure 8 ....  So whenever I tried to hook the phone to my computer, there are bent spot every 5 inches of the cord.
When I sold my 5 months old PS500s, I always try to make the loop as round as possible whenever I store it.  Is there a way to fix this ?

many years ago, i was a landscaper,  the same thing would happen to garden hose , especially when cold, it would have "memory"
the remedy would be stretch it out in sunlight, it would relax, so how about the same type of thing
warm sunny day, outside, or maybe in a car in sunlight ??
just an idea that popped in my head, haven't needed to do this as of yet

May 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #7,105 of 65,579
Quote:

Take the drivers out of the gimbals and hang the drivers from the 1/4" terminal connector, from a hanger with a tie wrap, let the drivers hang down freely (don't worry there are tie wraps inside the cups before the solder joint , so they take the strain, not the solder connections), then use a blow drier and for some heat and gently straighten the wires, and let the driver wires also twist to where they want. ( Be sure to mark the right side driver wire with a tie wrap, so you know the R/L driver when you are putting them back in the gimbals). I do this to all of my cords on my electronics, it works great! 

May 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #7,106 of 65,579
Quote:
Take the drivers out of the gimbals and hang the drivers from the 1/4" terminal connector, from a hanger with a tie wrap, let the drivers hang down freely (don't worry there are tie wraps inside the cups before the solder joint , so they take the strain, not the solder connections), then use a blow drier and for some heat and gently straighten the wires, and let the driver wires also twist to where they want. ( Be sure to mark the right side driver wire with a tie wrap, so you know the R/L driver when you are putting them back in the gimbals). I do this to all of my cords on my electronics, it works great! 

i like this better than my idea ! lol

May 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #7,107 of 65,579
My igrado's are responding very well to burn in. After about 60 hours, the harsh highs and upper midrange have leveled out, and the sound is now both warm and bright without being harsh. 

I'm willing to commit about 200 hours to burn in. The jvc 700's I have needed around 200 hours before they sounded dramatically better. They needed well over 100 before they sounded even a ilttle bit better. 

I wonder how many people wound benefit if they were willing to log up to 200 hours of burn-in with their grado's before passing judgement?

May 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #7,108 of 65,579
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on those amps pallentx.  The Lyr was a little more than I wanted to spend, although not out the question.  It seemed like overkill for my needs pumping 6w into 32 ohm.  Especially since I am just looking to check out tube sound vs adding any real power.  I find the volume levels from my ipod to meet my needs.  Maybe I am just destined for the LD i+.

The Lyr is probably not your only option. Any of the hybrid tube/opamp amps out there will work with the lower impedance Grados. You can get all-tube amps, but they will generally be much more expensive due to the output transformers. There's always solid state. I went back and forth on tubes vs something like the Objective2. The O2 is a heck of a deal from everything I have read.

May 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #7,109 of 65,579

You could put some of the cost difference into tube rolling. Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/364043/little-dot-i-tube-rolling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back