Grado Fan Club!
May 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #7,081 of 65,687
I've burned in my igrado's now for over 60 hours with music. 

I'm really taken aback at how much the sound signature has changed. They've gone from having very noticeably boosted highs to a much more mellow sound. They sound like a warmer, more detailed version of the portapros, including a signature bass kick and oomph.

The igrado's were just too hot out of the box, but I almost miss those over-emphasized higher frequencies (not really :)). 

Anyway, at least with the igrado's, burn in is a very real, objective phenomenon. This is the first pair of headphones which has changed significantly after burn-in.

The igrado's are just ok for comfort, but are tolerable for shorter listening sessions. I will most likely keep them. 

May 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #7,082 of 65,687
Sometimes I wonder what people think music is supposed to sound like. The 325's are supposedly the worst of the entire lineup for high end harshness and they (to my ears) are the smoothest, absolutely effortless headphones I have ever heard. Only thing I can think is a lot of people have crappy amps (or no amps) or really bad source material, because there is NO harshness that I have ever heard from any of the Grado's I have had a chance to listen to, heck I own two of em and trying real hard to get a 3rd. I must like really peaky highs.

May 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #7,083 of 65,687
I agree with you! I also own the SR325is and I do not in any way find them bright, harsh or ear piercing like some others do. I guess it comes down to ones overall  hearing, and preferences, but I love them more and more each time I listen to them, as a matter of fact I'm going to my listening chair right now to be swept away!!!

May 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #7,084 of 65,687
Quote:
I agree with you! I also own the SR325is and I do not in any way find them bright, harsh or ear piercing like some others do. I guess it comes down to ones overall  hearing, and preferences, but I love them more and more each time I listen to them, as a matter of fact I'm going to my listening chair right now to be swept away!!!

Initially, I found them to tend toward sibilance after some time listening. It only happens occasionally now, and they get almost all of my "ear time" (in preference over the DT 990 Premium, T 70, and HD-650, all of which I quite like.)

May 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #7,085 of 65,687
I
After much thought i have decided to get the SR225i, what amp works well with it?

I'm liking my Fiio E09K with my 225i. The amp definitely makes the headphones more immersive and full sounding. I'm also using a Schiit Modi dac.

May 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #7,086 of 65,687
Quote:
I
I'm liking my Fiio E09K with my 225i. The amp definitely makes the headphones more immersive and full sounding. I'm also using a Schiit Modi dac.

i had the modi, and the fiio, though not at the same time, i bet they do sound very good together !

May 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #7,087 of 65,687
I agree too :)

I've spent ALOT of time listening to music to effectively pull apart its sonic quality's (and in the process ruin that track for me). I think the Grado's i have and the ones I've tried aren't bright and harsh so to speak. They are tight in the mid and top end for sure, its its a fairly 'dry' sound IMO. But its most definitely not a bad thing. I think they sound great with all genres I've listened to so far.

I think that my SR225i are a little on the bright side, as headphones go, but I don't find it excessive. Can be fatiguing if I listen too loud for too long, but I don't need to listen to them that loud. :)

It's the overall voicing of the Grados that is so good along with the imaging. I just demoed the DT880s this week, and I could not get past the overly emphasized treble in comparison my Grados. I just don't see how that kind of treble can sound good.

Maybe some of us just have ears that are particularly tuned well to like Grados :D

May 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #7,088 of 65,687
I need to get rid of one of my Grados to make room for a pair of 325s. SO I have been listening to the 125i for a while, then the 225i and so on. Here is the funny part, I know I like the 225i better, but I absolutely can not put the difference I hear into words. I am not even sure I know why I like it better, I just do. Very strange, I guess that is why I don't review headphones for a living. I will say that the difference isn't huge. The 225s just sound smoother and more cohesive overall. There is nothing I can just point to and say "There that's what is wrong" in regards to the 125i. As would make sense, the difference between the 125 and 225 is almost identical to the difference I heard comparing the 225i to the 325i, just an overall more refined sound from the higher end model. I do like the ear pads on the 125i more though, quite comfortable.

May 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #7,089 of 65,687
Quote:
I need to get rid of one of my Grados to make room for a pair of 325s. SO I have been listening to the 125i for a while, then the 225i and so on. Here is the funny part, I know I like the 225i better, but I absolutely can not put the difference I hear into words. I am not even sure I know why I like it better, I just do. Very strange, I guess that is why I don't review headphones for a living. I will say that the difference isn't huge. The 225s just sound smoother and more cohesive overall. There is nothing I can just point to and say "There that's what is wrong" in regards to the 125i. As would make sense, the difference between the 125 and 225 is almost identical to the difference I heard comparing the 225i to the 325i, just an overall more refined sound from the higher end model. I do like the ear pads on the 125i more though, quite comfortable.

the feeling you're describing is kinda how i feel with the 225 and the ms1, i was initially going to return one of the two, and it was gonna be the ms1, for reasons i really couldn't put my finger on,
i just knew i liked the 225i's overall sound better, it was more "complete", for lack of a better term.  but the ms1 has a certain quality about it, its a relaxed , highly musical sound, i ended up keeping both. one day i'd love to hear the 325, and the ms2, i just can't bear to part with either right now !! first in my future will be the tube amp , as soon as i can decide which one i want first !

May 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #7,090 of 65,687
I think the Grado sound signature is what most of us love, for sure.

I got rid of my 325i's after I bought my RS1l,,,,not because I did not like them, hell, I loved my 325i....I just could not see it getting much head time.

I have an SR60i for my portable rig, and it makes me smile as well....just something about the sound signature, that captures us all.

In my honest opinion, I believe they all sound great, at least the ones I have listened to...SR60i...SR80i....225i....325i....RS1i

I kind of found my 325i alittle bright at first, but not overly done, and with time I found them to sound fantastic and they sounded better and better every time I put them on.

I feel the same way about my RS1i......I listen to them almost everyday, and I really look forward to hearing them from day to day.

May 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #7,091 of 65,687
I bought my SR80i phones about 4 years ago after reading tons of reviews on here and listening to a bunch of phones. I couldn't have been happier and definitely get you hooked. After the years of these treating me well, I need some closed cans for my noisy office. These have set my baseline much higher. Now I totally understand the line "Sorry about your wallet"

May 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #7,092 of 65,687
Quote:
I think the Grado sound signature is what most of us love, for sure.

I got rid of my 325i's after I bought my RS1l,,,,not because I did not like them, hell, I loved my 325i....I just could not see it getting much head time.

I have an SR60i for my portable rig, and it makes me smile as well....just something about the sound signature, that captures us all.

In my honest opinion, I believe they all sound great, at least the ones I have listened to...SR60i...SR80i....225i....325i....RS1i

I kind of found my 325i alittle bright at first, but not overly done, and with time I found them to sound fantastic and they sounded better and better every time I put them on.

I feel the same way about my RS1i......I listen to them almost everyday, and I really look forward to hearing them from day to day.

Well I did learn one thing from all this, I must not ever ever listen to the RS1i....I know that much now!

May 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #7,093 of 65,687
Quote:

That's exactly how I feel about my 225i when I was able to try the HF2 at the last headfi meet here. The HF2 is just.... more.... couldn't put it into words.

May 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #7,094 of 65,687
I was wondering from someone who has had the chance for an extended time with all 3, how does the comfort and general fit of the RS1i and RS2i compare both to one another and also how do either compare the the SR225i. Reading on Headroom site that the RS1 is a larger driver than the RS2, so do the pads still rest on top of the ear? I really like the fit of the 225 so which one would be closest to that? Also in terms of the weight are they all pretty close to the same? My local Audio store only carries the SR series of phones so there is no way for me to actually try any of the RS series, which is why I am asking here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back