Grado Fan Club!
May 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #7,111 of 65,692
Just picked up a pair of SR80i's, which I plan to mod with some Vibrolabs classic wooden cups, for aesthetic reasons because I feel they deserve the beautiful wooden cups and are very worthy of them.  I own the SR325is's which I think are amazing; but on the other hand I also think the SR80i's are just as amazing, and even though they differ from each other in ways, I love the sound of the both of them so I had to pick up another pair after owning them in the past, and really enjoying the raw onstage aggressive sound of these headphones, cant wait to throw them on and enjoy the music!

May 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #7,112 of 65,692
Man, these igrado's are infuriating. Sound quality is quite nice, but the headband and earclips must've been designed by a bunch of monkeys. I just cannot get over the disjunction between the fine sound quality and the complete and total disregard for comfort. 

May 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #7,115 of 65,692
Did you get the iGrado's from Amazon? If so, see if you can return them, and try the SR60i. Never mind other peoples opinions or reviews, take them with a grain of salt, people either love or hate the Grado sound, so if you love the sound, never mind the reviews on the comfort, I for one don't find any of the grado's uncomfortable at all, you may love the comfort of the SR60i, so if you can try them for your self.
Also the (S) pads that come with the SR60i sound just fine, really no need to buy replacement pads.
BTW never mind the measurement charts either, what you hear is the truth!

May 8, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #7,116 of 65,692
I know I can return them or exchange them, but I don't like to return items unless it's absolutely necessary. 

I may very well wind up buying the 60i's and keeping the igrado's for shorter listening sessions. 

There are a ton of complaints out there about comfort and I really have to question why grado isn't doing anything about it. I'm sure they are making enough money as it is not to have to make drastic design changes to improve comfort, but I'm just as certain they have the resources, talent and intelligence to design more comfortable headphones, yet they have not made any effort to do so. Infuriating. 

But, I guess I'm only encouraging their arrogance, since I'm likely going to buy not just one, but two pairs of headphones from them anyway! So I guess I should be upset with myself more than them. 

May 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #7,117 of 65,692
I'm don't know if the iGrado is the only Grado that you've owned, have you tried any other models for yourself as far as comfort goes? Because like I mentioned, they are not uncomfortable to me in any way what so ever, as long as you pull the the headband apart to fit loosley on your head and let the drivers just rest on your head (without any pressure). You must try them for yourself (if you haven't already), to see if they are comfortable to you.

May 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #7,118 of 65,692
I know I can return them or exchange them, but I don't like to return items unless it's absolutely necessary. 

I may very well wind up buying the 60i's and keeping the igrado's for shorter listening sessions. 

There are a ton of complaints out there about comfort and I really have to question why grado isn't doing anything about it. I'm sure they are making enough money as it is not to have to make drastic design changes to improve comfort, but I'm just as certain they have the resources, talent and intelligence to design more comfortable headphones, yet they have not made any effort to do so. Infuriating. 

But, I guess I'm only encouraging their arrogance, since I'm likely going to buy not just one, but two pairs of headphones from them anyway! So I guess I should be upset with myself more than them. 

Why is this infuriating? You haven't even tried the main Grado line yet. For all you know, you'll find them comfortable.

Moreover, if it was so easy to find a redesign for Grados that would make them more comfortable and still produce the Grado house sound, someone else would have done it already. There is a huge DIY modding community, as well as other companies that produce revisions of Grado headphones, alternative drivers, and other parts.

Finally, while I'm sure Grado is doing OK, it's not like they are saving tons of money by manufacturing their headphones in China :wink:

May 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #7,119 of 65,692
I'm enjoying my new Asgard 2 using with a Grado 225i. My first impression is that the A-2 improves sound on my 225i utilizing my dedicated Onkyo components.

I listened to an  Onkyo 7030 CD player and an Onkyo internet streaming receiver streaming Rhapsody.

I was expecting minimal improvement from my CD player. It has a Woflson DAC and I have previously thought the SQ listening to CD's from the HP jack on my Onkyo CD player was quite good. Not so. The sound quality from the A2 through sounds, fuller, richer and more vibrant.

May 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #7,120 of 65,692
Quote:
I'm enjoying my new Asgard 2 using with a Grado 225i. My first impression is that the A-2 improves sound on my 225i utilizing my dedicated Onkyo components.

I listened to an  Onkyo 7030 CD player and an Onkyo internet streaming receiver streaming Rhapsody.

I was expecting minimal improvement from my CD player. It has a Woflson DAC and I have previously thought the SQ listening to CD's from the HP jack on my Onkyo CD player was quite good. Not so. The sound quality from the A2 through sounds, fuller, richer and more vibrant.

i was taken by surprise when i learned how much an amplifier can effect sound. when i was a teenager, a long time ago
i, like most i suppose, just asked "how many watts"
i've learned a few things since those days ! lol

May 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #7,121 of 65,692
The SR60i is a very comfortable and light headphone , IMO and in my personal experience with them

May 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #7,122 of 65,692
The SR60i is a very comfortable and light headphone , IMO and in my personal experience with them

Agree, and if the band is too tight when you get them, gently flex it out as required. I can't believe anyone reviewed the 60s as uncomfy. The igrados most definitely are uncomfy on me with little or no scope for adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back