Grado Fan Club!
May 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #7,143 of 66,262
What models do the L-Cush pads fit? Will they work on the SR125i and do they provide the same benefits?

Every single model, including the ps1000 and gs1000. It should benefit unless the sr125i already has L cush earpads stock.

May 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #7,144 of 66,262
I appreciate everyone's input. 

To clarify, I don't consider the igrado's to be too bright. I consider them to be too uncomfortable. :)

I wouldn't want to use any headphones which had significantly more treble than the igrado's however; since the 60i's share the same driver, I would have to assume they are quite similar in sound signature. 

I've also tried senn px100's before and was left underwhelmed.

I was actually very pleased with the way the igrado's broke in: they became a very lush, warm headphone with a fair bit of treble sparkle thrown in. If the 60i's are at all similar, I think I would be quite pleased. 

May 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #7,145 of 66,262
L-Cush pads sound great on the SR125i!

Honestly, the entire Prestige Series sounds best with L-Cush pads, in my opinion. I'm not sure why the lower models even come with different pads. Maybe less expensive to produce S-Cush pads?

May 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #7,146 of 66,262
L-Cush pads sound great on the SR125i!

Honestly, the entire Prestige Series sounds best with L-Cush pads, in my opinion. I'm not sure why the lower models even come with different pads. Maybe less expensive to produce S-Cush pads?

Maybe to try and justify the price difference and make it smoother and more bassy.

May 10, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #7,147 of 66,262
I've asked before, so I apologize for my persistence: if anyone can offer a direct comparison between the following pairs of headphones, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1. igrado vs. grado sr60i

2. grado sr60i vs. koss ksc 76. 

I'm likely to place an order for the 60i's in any event. My intution tells me I will like them (same drivers as the igrado + a conventional headband sounds like a pretty good combo to me). 

May 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #7,150 of 66,262
May 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #7,151 of 66,262
Quote:

Hey Bill. You recently picked up the SR60i, right? I highly recommend trying the L-Cush pads on your SR60i. It's a simple pad swap, and for $20 I think it substantially improves the sound of the lower model Grados. Things to expect: slightly brighter tonality, better defined vocals, greater imaging, greater separation, greater "air", greater bass definition. It's an investment that I personally consider mandatory for the SR60i.

I've always been a strong advocate for the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads, and I'm reaffirming my advocacy today! I've missed my SR60i, so today I picked up a new pair from the local Grado retailer :) I listened for a while with the stock pads, and then switched to L-Cush and immediately re-experienced why I advocate for the L-Cush pads so strongly. I still maintain SR60i w/ L-Cush pads is the best value I have yet found in the headphone world.

If the $20 isn't a problem, try it out! Report back with your findings!

Gotcha, thank you man!  I will order a pair today, give them a go, and get back to you on this. :) Currently I am using the yellow AT (?) pads and they are an improvement in comfort over the stock pads.

May 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #7,153 of 66,262
Gotcha, thank you man!  I will order a pair today, give them a go, and get back to you on this. :) Currently I am using the yellow AT (?) pads and they are an improvement in comfort over the stock pads.

I gave my 60's to my dad after getting 325s. He got L Cush pads for them and now I feel like I may have been a tad hasty in getting the 325s after hearing them.

May 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #7,154 of 66,262
Quote:
I've been listening to my HiFiMan HE 500's with a Schiit Lyr.  Do you think Grado Rs1i would also be a good pairing for the amp?

It's possible the RS1i might be too efficient for the Lyr's high power. Meaning the RS1i might have some background hiss using the Lyr. You might want to ask on one of the Schiit threads, as I'm sure someone has tried the Lyr with Grados.

Besides the hiss though, I'm sure music would sound rockin' on it!

May 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #7,155 of 66,262
Quote:
I gave my 60's to my dad after getting 325s. He got L Cush pads for them and now I feel like I may have been a tad hasty in getting the 325s after hearing them.

Haha, I can relate to this. I started with the SR225i, then went to the SR325is. Then I tried the SR60i with L-Cush pads just to see if I could in good conscience recommend it to my friends as a nice low-cost headphone. Well, much to my surprise, I actually ended up liking the sound of the SR60i better than the SR225i and the SR325i!

So it was an interesting way to learn that more expensive does not always mean more enjoyable. Especially in this headphone game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back