Grado Fan Club!
May 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #7,126 of 65,692
Man, these igrado's are infuriating. Sound quality is quite nice, but the headband and earclips must've been designed by a bunch of monkeys. I just cannot get over the disjunction between the fine sound quality and the complete and total disregard for comfort. 

Yep.
iGrados are not the most comfortable Grados.
Other Grados fit nothing like the iGrados, and sound rather different than iGrados.

They all fit better and sound better than iGrados, they are all at least a bit brighter and have deeper bass.

May 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #7,127 of 65,692
Stellar customer service. I have a pair of SR 325i's, dropped them last night and the small plastic pin that goes into the cups snapped. I emailed Grado and promptly received an email back "we will mail you a gimbal right away" , can't ask for better service. Not dealing with some conglomerate corporation is such a blessing. I love my cans, last year I sent them back to Grado to be re-cabled, got the newest cabled used on the top of the line models and only paid $45. As a happy customer, I'm planning on getting a new set of phones, either the RS1i's or the PS500's. My next major purchase is a Raptor tube amp from Ray Samuels, just waiting on my taxes, filed just a few days before the dead line this year, so I have a bit of a wait. Just wanted to share what everyone who has dealt with Grado already knows, they know how to treat they're customers, and in doing so creating more business down the road.

May 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #7,128 of 65,692
Grado service is the best.
Anything that they can replace by mail they basically do for free.
If you need to send your cans in they fix them for a very fair price.
Great company period!

May 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #7,129 of 65,692
Quote:
Yep.
iGrados are not the most comfortable Grados.
Other Grados fit nothing like the iGrados, and sound rather different than iGrados.

They all fit better and sound better than iGrados, they are all at least a bit brighter and have deeper bass.

I would appreciate the better fit but not sure if I want more treble. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't. The igrado's are already bright enough. 

The igrado's are getting pretty difficult to live with. It looks like I'll have to send them back. 

May 9, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #7,130 of 65,692
Here's a tip on how to reduce the clamping force of the igrado's: you simply heat the headband with hot water, then stretch the headband to the desired width. The headband will return to it's original shape however, unless you keep the headband in it's new shape, by using a brace of some kind. 

There is even more treble when you stretch the headband, however. 

I'm mulling it over, but will likely buy a pair of 60i's. The 60i's and 80i's were rated no. 2 and 1 respectively, by consumer reports from what I understand. :)

May 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #7,132 of 65,692
Here's a tip on how to reduce the clamping force of the igrado's: you simply heat the headband with hot water, then stretch the headband to the desired width. The headband will return to it's original shape however, unless you keep the headband in it's new shape, by using a brace of some kind. 

There is even more treble when you stretch the headband, however. 

I'm mulling it over, but will likely buy a pair of 60i's. The 60i's and 80i's were rated no. 2 and 1 respectively, by consumer reports from what I understand. :)

Much as I love Grados, I do not trust any audio review from Comsumer Reports.
Many years ago they reviewed a Bose system and gave them a lukewarm review.
Bose sued them, Consumer Reports lost. :rolleyes:
I'm not too sure how anyone expects Consumer Reports to keep their objectivity after an outcome like that.
Which reminds me, I have another reason to dislike Bose! :mad:

May 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #7,133 of 65,692
Quote:
There's a good chance you'll find the SR60i / SR80i too bright if you find the igrado's too bright. Grado might not be your brand =/ You may be a Sennheiser guy.

Alessandros are an option too. They are a tamer, smoother version of grados.
(unless alessandros are as bright/brighter than the igrado which i have not auditioned before)

May 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7,134 of 65,692
Quote:
I think that my SR225i are a little on the bright side, as headphones go, but I don't find it excessive. Can be fatiguing if I listen too loud for too long, but I don't need to listen to them that loud.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's the overall voicing of the Grados that is so good along with the imaging. I just demoed the DT880s this week, and I could not get past the overly emphasized treble in comparison my Grados. I just don't see how that kind of treble can sound good.

Maybe some of us just have ears that are particularly tuned well to like Grados
biggrin.gif

That is it right there. I have several other cans that are generally considered "better" that the Grados, are they actually better in real life, for me no...The Grados simply sound right, more than hold their own, and always put a smile on my face when I use them.

May 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #7,135 of 65,692
I love my Grados - I have a pair of SR60, and SR225 that I bought in the
late 90's and have been lugging around ever since.  They're the only quality
headphones I've ever owned or listened to.  Just recabled the SR60 with
a 4 wire braid from homegrown audio, and the SR225 with blue dragon
from Moon Audio.  Both are fed from my Headroom Little amp also circa
late 90's.  I made an extension cable from black dragon so I can sit
on the couch and listen to my Grados while I play poker on the tablet and
relax.  I use mediamote to control mediamonkey from my iphone... handy!

I've got an order in with Martin for wood for my beloved grados... can't wait! 

Pics will follow... need to get my post count up

May 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #7,136 of 65,692
Quote:
That is it right there. I have several other cans that are generally considered "better" that the Grados, are they actually better in real life, for me no...The Grados simply sound right, more than hold their own, and always put a smile on my face when I use them.

Hey Bill. You recently picked up the SR60i, right? I highly recommend trying the L-Cush pads on your SR60i. It's a simple pad swap, and for $20 I think it substantially improves the sound of the lower model Grados. Things to expect: slightly brighter tonality, better defined vocals, greater imaging, greater separation, greater "air", greater bass definition. It's an investment that I personally consider mandatory for the SR60i.

I've always been a strong advocate for the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads, and I'm reaffirming my advocacy today! I've missed my SR60i, so today I picked up a new pair from the local Grado retailer :) I listened for a while with the stock pads, and then switched to L-Cush and immediately re-experienced why I advocate for the L-Cush pads so strongly. I still maintain SR60i w/ L-Cush pads is the best value I have yet found in the headphone world.

If the $20 isn't a problem, try it out! Report back with your findings!

May 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #7,137 of 65,692
Quote:

Hey Bill. You recently picked up the SR60i, right? I highly recommend trying the L-Cush pads on your SR60i. It's a simple pad swap, and for $20 I think it substantially improves the sound of the lower model Grados. Things to expect: slightly brighter tonality, better defined vocals, greater imaging, greater separation, greater "air", greater bass definition. It's an investment that I personally consider mandatory for the SR60i.

I've always been a strong advocate for the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads, and I'm reaffirming my advocacy today! I've missed my SR60i, so today I picked up a new pair from the local Grado retailer :) I listened for a while with the stock pads, and then switched to L-Cush and immediately re-experienced why I advocate for the L-Cush pads so strongly. I still maintain SR60i w/ L-Cush pads is the best value I have yet found in the headphone world.

i tried the quarter mod on the pads on my ms1's, wasn't impressed, got the L-cushes, bingo !!
with the bowls, it takes the ms1 almost to the same level as my 225, in fact i like the top end on the ms1 more that the 225
but from top to bottom, still prefer the sr225i , i still have the quartered pads, never use them now

May 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #7,138 of 65,692
There's a good chance you'll find the SR60i / SR80i too bright if you find the igrado's too bright. Grado might not be your brand =/ You may be a Sennheiser guy.

Yep, there are lots of great headphones out there with somewhat different personality and voicing than Grados. Why have all the pain, trying to make something work that's not right for you?

May 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7,139 of 65,692
Quote:

I have to say that you've got me curious about trying the L-cush with my SR80i, i mostly use them late at night, when i'm at my desktop computer, straight out of my vintage Marantz recievers, the thing is, i wear glasses, and i find the comfies don't get in the way like the G and L cush do, but since i have a pair of L-cush lying around, i'll try them, and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back