Grado Fan Club!
Apr 26, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #65,567 of 65,648
The top photo was the orginal cable, the bottom was replaced by Grado Labs in February 2023, the photo I took in November 2023. I don't have my GS3000x now because it at Grado Labs right now.
PXL_20221011_022640182.jpg
PXL_20231103_192454596.MP~2.jpg

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #65,568 of 65,648
Anyone here ever break the gimbal from the metal rod it slides along? I was making adjustments to the headband and accidentally broke the rod, like a darned idiot :face_palm:

I emailed Grado about what to do, but it was after 5:00pm on the east coast by then. I noticed Grado sells replacement metal gimbals/rods. Is this a job I can do myself? The best instructions I found were old Head-Fi posts. I'm curious if I buy gimbals from Grado's website, do they come with instructions? Any stories you all have to share I would greatly appreciate!

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #65,569 of 65,648
Anyone here ever break the gimbal from the metal rod it slides along? I was making adjustments to the headband and accidentally broke the rod, like a darned idiot :face_palm:

I emailed Grado about what to do, but it was after 5:00pm on the east coast by then. I noticed Grado sells replacement metal gimbals/rods. Is this a job I can do myself? The best instructions I found were old Head-Fi posts. I'm curious if I buy gimbals from Grado's website, do they come with instructions? Any stories you all have to share I would greatly appreciate!
I did it myself and I am not very handy. I recommend a 3rd party set over the Grado set.

https://www.nyczaj.audio/

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #65,571 of 65,648
Good to know!

With 3rd party sets, can I keep the original headband? It's the GS3000x, and I was looking forward to that bigger headband.
You can or one of their sets come with a new headband included. Comfy

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #65,572 of 65,648
The top photo was the orginal cable, the bottom was replaced by Grado Labs in February 2023, the photo I took in November 2023. I don't have my GS3000x now because it at Grado Labs right now.PXL_20221011_022640182.jpgPXL_20231103_192454596.MP~2.jpg
Mine looked almost like that initially, but not quite. I do still have one of those bulbs, but smaller.
With mine I was lucky working it through from headphone in the direction of the connector, but since you sent it in anyway the problem might already be resolved, right?
IMG_4329.jpegIMG_4330.jpeg

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #65,573 of 65,648
Mine looked almost like that initially, but not quite. I do still have one of those bulbs, but smaller.
With mine I was lucky working it through from headphone in the direction of the connector, but since you sent it in anyway the problem might already be resolved, right?
Like I said, I sent it before to replace the cable under warranty. This time I sent it to repair but mentioned them the cable still doing that.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #65,574 of 65,648
Isn't ripping a CD and playing it back from some kind of computer always the better option? The only downside i see is the time needed to rip the CDs.
You might very well be 100% correct.

I think it is possible that the CD transport offers simplicity. When you rip CDs to a computer then you will be reading those copied files from your drive for playback. That is taking place within the complicated electrical world of your computer. I use Audirvana on both my Macs and that simplifies things, the digital signal is sent directly to the DAC rather than through the computer's audio system. However the computer, as a device, is a complicated thing and that may have negative influences on the signal in various ways. May have and may not have.

The truth is that I don't know whether a CD transport will offer advantages but I do have a lot of CDs and I quite like the idea of the CD transport. I tend to keep things for a very long time, so I like, if possible to buy something pretty good and keep it.

If I buy the CD transport I will get it from a retailer that has a no-questions-asked returns policy. If for me it is just the same as Audirvana from a Mac, or not as good, then I will return it.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #65,575 of 65,648
The Dynavector arm will be mounted to a table that is very similar to the Linn LP12 and was made in the same building that Linn used for manufacturing.
Those Dynavector arms are extremely heavy. I wonder if the LP12 like turntable has a suspended sub-chassis and will it take that weight? I'm sure you have already addressed this.

I remember those arms back in the 80s when I was using turntables myself. The Dynavector is quite a marvel of engineering. I think if I was creating a turntable today it might be something like the classic Denon direct drive motor unit mounted in a heavy wooden plinth with a Dynavector arm.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #65,577 of 65,648
Good to know!

With 3rd party sets, can I keep the original headband? It's the GS3000x, and I was looking forward to that bigger headband.
I went with the nyczaj
padded headband and rods/gimbals pre-assembled. Very nice!
IMG_2668.jpeg

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #65,579 of 65,648
I ordered a pair of RS2Xs a few weeks ago, because I really wanted to try a pair of wood Grados, preferring one of the models that people say has more bass. I was certain this would cause a pair of GH2s offered to ship from the US to appear on the classifieds in short order. Of course, it did, but it took less than two hours, which was even faster than I expected :joy:.

Coming from the SR325X and GW100X, the RS2X is just what I was hoping for with its stock L pads, which is a pair with solid low end (at least, within the world of open-back dynamic headphones) and with more of the airy treble that Grado is known for. Something that surprised me about the RS2X is that, from what I can hear, there's a pretty strong emphasis around 3 kHz, right where a lot of measurement-focused headphones put their pinna compensation. My preference is normally for a sound with a lower bass shelf than Harman by a few decibels, and also with a decibel or so less in the pinna region than Harman. So, for me, the bass and upper mids in the RS2X sound close to neutral, and the treble adds exactly the airy and spacious sound I wanted from them. I'm not sure whether these would be a "reference" headphone for most people, but within the scope of Grado headphones, I have to say this hits all the right notes in the frequency response.

The stock L pads are about as comfortable for me as the F pads, which is to say that they take some getting used to but aren't uncomfortable. I also tried the RS2X with the F pads from my SR325Xs, as well as with a pair of S pads that I'd picked up for experimentation. On the RS2X, I think the L pads sound the best, but the S pads are more comfortable and still offer a good sound. The F pads sound muddy to me, and don't offer enough of a comfort advantage, so I don't expect to use them on the RS2X. I'll normally put the S pads on for something like gaming, where the overall frequency response matters a little less than comfort. On the SR325X, I think the F pads sound the best, with the S pads also a close second, and I don't like the excessive treble that the L pads give to the SR325X.

In the end, I moved the SR325Xs to live with the system downstairs, where I do less headphone listening and when I do I look for a more boring and neutral sound, and I'll keep the RS2Xs with the headphone system here upstairs, where I like more variety and a more interesting sound.

On my headphone system, I used the SR325Xs on either a Magni Piety or Lyr+, both on their low gain settings, and the same amps seem to be the best fits for the RS2Xs. I would definitely recommend either one to Grado X-series users. I haven't spent much time with either the SR325X or RS2X on my SW51+, but its low-Z output also worked pretty well with Grados when I tried it. I am a little interested in trying an OTL amp with a low enough output impedance to match my sound preference for Grados, but I'm plenty happy with the amps at my disposal in the headphone system so it'll probably be a long time before I get around to that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back