Grado Fan Club!
Aug 28, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #40,262 of 65,583
Question for folks how have a long history with Grado (and memory better than mine). I bought my SR-125s either late in the 90's or early in 2000 - sometime after owning my SR-60s. The SR-125s are "pink drivers".

My memory may be faulty, but I thought that they shipped with 'L' cushions. They have 'L' on them now, but a long while ago I swiped out the cushion, and can't remember if I "upgraded" to the 'L', but I don't think so. Did they ship early in their lifetime with 'L' cushions, or am I making this up?

The current incarnation of SR-125 ship with 'S' cushions.

the only sr series that came with s cushions was sr60 in that timeline, the rest came with L cushion. i think in e generation, sr80 and sr125 start shipping with s cushion

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #40,263 of 65,583
Thanks, will look into this. It's just for extended listening and I got those thick plastic frames that do not help.

Speaking of Grado being open. They got to be one of the most open headphones out there. They leak a lot. I like open headphones, and I will only listen critically to open ones, but not really practical for certain cases.

I've been reading up on the G-cushion opinions and it seems there's good reason why 325 has L-cushion. I'm just really curious what results. Been reading bass reduces, and mids pulls back? There's quite a bit of 2k emphasis on these, and if 2k pulls back, it wouldn't be a bad thing. It seems imaging could be more interesting as well, and I like imaging.
I've tried about 20 different generic G-pads from a variety of vendors on Ebay and while they are all a single density foam they are not all the same, some are deeper than others, some use softer foam, some have foam that is quite dense and hard while others are quite porous and soft. So I'd suggest trying a few different vendors and fine one that you like and quickly order a few more as spares. The way I look at it OEM G-pads are about $45 while ebay ones are $4-6 so you can try quite a few for the same price as one pair of OEM pads but you might also just buy one pair of OEM pads to use as reference.

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #40,264 of 65,583
DavidA 's advice is spot on as always. The other thing to consider besides the material and comfort is how does each variation of a G cush or an L cush affect the sound signature of the headphones?

I had a routine of cushion rolling with every new to me Grado or build that I got. It was interesting to see just which combination of genuine or knock off cushions I finally ended up with on each one.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #40,265 of 65,583
Just realised I've had the HF2 for 10 years. Listening to them right now to mark this special occasion!

May be it's time to sell them? :gs1000smile:

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #40,266 of 65,583
the only sr series that came with s cushions was sr60 in that timeline, the rest came with L cushion. i think in e generation, sr80 and sr125 start shipping with s cushion
No the i-series already start with S. My first two were the SR60i and the MS1. Oh how I miss them

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #40,267 of 65,583
In case anyone is in the market, I'm letting go of a few select Grados. Given their unique nature, I thought the good people of this thread (who is directly responsible for me getting these awesome headphones) should be given a heads up before I list them in the FS section.

I'm letting go of a Trio of Grados (SR80 pinkie w/ 6.3mm, RS2 buttoned w/ new e-Series drivers and HP1 w/ polarity switch) - the latter two were recently examined/cleaned by Jon Grado, the RS2 has new drivers installed but the HP1 is all original, mint condition, perfect lettering, functioning polarity switch - sadly I no longer have the OEM box/papers but it will ship in a Pelican case with custom inserts.

Will probably throw up a listing in FS tonight or tomorrow but if anyone is interested please PM me, would be happy to share more details/pics.

Cheers guys.

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #40,268 of 65,583
Sep 3, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #40,269 of 65,583
Grado G Cush are multiple density... harder at the edges and softer in the middle. NonGrado cheaper ones are all the same density and sound different.

That said, there is an opinion that a particular nonGrado G Cush helps a particular Grado headphone more than the Grado, but that is a rarity. Sorry I cannot remember the specifics... I think @joseph69 might know.
I'm sorry, John, but that wasn't me. I did try the EarZonk vinyl L cushions on my 325is one time and took them off within 30sec of listening to how they destroyed the sound. I then sent them to another member and they basically had the same experience as I did. Otherwise I only use genuine Grado cushions or TTVJ flats on my Grados.
Maybe you were thinking that I love the sound of the Grado G cushions on the GH1 instead of the stock L cushions?

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #40,270 of 65,583
Makes sense... I do remember that you were the first to discover the improvement of the GH1 by the G Cush. I’ll have to research who preferred the nonGrado pads and under what circumstance.

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #40,271 of 65,583
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #40,272 of 65,583
Makes sense... I do remember that you were the first to discover the improvement of the GH1 by the G Cush. I’ll have to research who preferred the nonGrado pads and under what circumstance.
So, I actually wan't the first.
Another member (can't remember who) had commented about how they really enjoyed the G cushions on the GH1 so I tried them and felt the same way. I've actually never spent anywhere hear sufficient time with the L cushions on the GH1, I think I'll have to do this.

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #40,274 of 65,583
Any PS100e owners out there who have got used to the weight of the Grados and/or did aftermarket 'comfort' headbands make a difference, either to the overall weight or the pressure point on the top part of the head? Currently agonising whether to keep my pair, as loving their gorgeous sound (and mod through https://www.shipibo.audio) or exchanging for a pair of Focal Clear headphones.

Would appreciate your thoughts....

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #40,275 of 65,583
Any PS100e owners out there who have got used to the weight of the Grados and/or did aftermarket 'comfort' headbands make a difference, either to the overall weight or the pressure point on the top part of the head? Currently agonising whether to keep my pair, as loving their gorgeous sound (and mod through https://www.shipibo.audio) or exchanging for a pair of Focal Clear headphones.

Would appreciate your thoughts....

for the pressure point on top of the head, the aftermarket headband help massively for me. i use the turbulentlabs.the small headband. i haven't try the large headband
https://turbulentlabs.com/shop/

for the weight, well get used to it i guess.perhaps the suspension strap would help a bit, i haven't try it tough. but yea the weight is an issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back