Grado Fan Club!
Aug 27, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #40,246 of 65,550
Grado L-cushions alone use three different foam densities, I think the G-cushions do as well? The aftermarket stuff is just one uniform density, thus I'd expect a difference in sound, so good luck.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #40,248 of 65,550
Grado L-cushions alone use three different foam densities, I think the G-cushions do as well? The aftermarket stuff is just one uniform density, thus I'd expect a difference in sound, so good luck.
So, Grado sells their cushions in 3 different densities? Or do different models have different foam of different densities? I expect there to be changes in imaging when density of foam is changed. It would be much more informative if foam was standardized with density value labels.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #40,249 of 65,550
So, Grado sells their cushions in 3 different densities? Or do different models have different foam of different densities? I expect there to be changes in imaging when density of foam is changed. It would be much more informative if foam was standardized with density value labels.
The pad is composed of 3 different foam density layers. Aftermarket pads use the same foam for the entire pad.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #40,251 of 65,550
I'm interested in trying out G-cushion. After market ones are pretty much the same as the Grado ones right? There's a huge difference in price.

G-cushion for PS-1000 should be the same size as 325 right?

I'm using L-cushion with my 325 and I notice a bit of pressure over time from it being on-ear as I wear glasses. Overtime the the pressure to my ear over my glasses frame gets painful.

i can't say about L cushion model but the G-cushion original and the after market ones are vastly different.

g-cushion and L-cushion( the one that being use in 325 ) are different in size, the end that slip to the headphone is similar size/diameter but the other end that touch your face is different in size

exactly like @elira posted

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #40,252 of 65,550
Thanks for the clarification. Any reason why that is the case? Did they ever put out any information materials on this decision?

i don't think grado ever published the information of that

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #40,253 of 65,550
Thanks for the clarification. Any reason why that is the case? Did they ever put out any information materials on this decision?

It’s Grado, so of course not. John Grado probably thought they sound better this way.

I don’t think Grado advertises this particular quality of the pads but it is something people have noticed comparing them to the knock off ones. They are probably more costly to manufacture so it’s reasonable that they’re a bit more expensive.

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #40,254 of 65,550
Grado-x-Uncrate-Supply-UN2000e-Headphones-7-1160x1740.jpg

https://uncrate.com/grado-x-uncrate-un2000e-headphones/

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #40,255 of 65,550
It’s Grado, so of course not. John Grado probably thought they sound better this way.

I don’t think Grado advertises this particular quality of the pads but it is something people have noticed comparing them to the knock off ones. They are probably more costly to manufacture so it’s reasonable that they’re a bit more expensive.
I have yet to try the Chinese ones and couldn't help but notice.
I will eventually try the aftermarket ones for the heck of it.

In the case of Sennheiser Urbanites, the "knock-off" earpads are better than the originals, lol!
Though that case is an outlier.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #40,256 of 65,550
Grado G Cush are multiple density... harder at the edges and softer in the middle. NonGrado cheaper ones are all the same density and sound different.

That said, there is an opinion that a particular nonGrado G Cush helps a particular Grado headphone more than the Grado, but that is a rarity. Sorry I cannot remember the specifics... I think @joseph69 might know.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #40,257 of 65,550
I'm interested in trying out G-cushion. After market ones are pretty much the same as the Grado ones right? There's a huge difference in price.

G-cushion for PS-1000 should be the same size as 325 right?

I'm using L-cushion with my 325 and I notice a bit of pressure over time from it being on-ear as I wear glasses. Overtime the the pressure to my ear over my glasses frame gets painful.

Have you done some adjusting of the headband so you get the pressure on your ear is made more comfortable even with eyeglasses. I feel that although it is fun to experiment with the G pad it changes the sound that Grado designed for any specific model. I also agree that the original replacement pads are better composition.

Enjoy,

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #40,258 of 65,550
Have had my G2000e for 1.5 years now and have since gotten a bunch of other headphones (Aeons, LCD-2, T1.2, HE560 to name a few) but I keep coming back to these as the best open headphones I’ve ever heard. And they’re not really amp picky. I can get great sound right out of an iPod, chord Mojo, Schiit Jotunheim, or Topping DX7s.
Whenever I can use open headphones I pick these. T5p are my favorite closed and Shure are my favorite IEM

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #40,259 of 65,550
Have you done some adjusting of the headband so you get the pressure on your ear is made more comfortable even with eyeglasses. I feel that although it is fun to experiment with the G pad it changes the sound that Grado designed for any specific model. I also agree that the original replacement pads are better composition.

Enjoy,
Thanks, will look into this. It's just for extended listening and I got those thick plastic frames that do not help.

Speaking of Grado being open. They got to be one of the most open headphones out there. They leak a lot. I like open headphones, and I will only listen critically to open ones, but not really practical for certain cases.

I've been reading up on the G-cushion opinions and it seems there's good reason why 325 has L-cushion. I'm just really curious what results. Been reading bass reduces, and mids pulls back? There's quite a bit of 2k emphasis on these, and if 2k pulls back, it wouldn't be a bad thing. It seems imaging could be more interesting as well, and I like imaging.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #40,260 of 65,550
Question for folks how have a long history with Grado (and memory better than mine). I bought my SR-125s either late in the 90's or early in 2000 - sometime after owning my SR-60s. The SR-125s are "pink drivers".

My memory may be faulty, but I thought that they shipped with 'L' cushions. They have 'L' on them now, but a long while ago I swiped out the cushion, and can't remember if I "upgraded" to the 'L', but I don't think so. Did they ship early in their lifetime with 'L' cushions, or am I making this up?

The current incarnation of SR-125 ship with 'S' cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back