Grado Fan Club!
Oct 5, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #38,716 of 65,692
Sorry for the post bomb - I've placed a wanted ad in the classifieds for a PS500 or PS500e if anyone wants to sell or trade.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #38,717 of 65,692
No, I definitely don't mind you asking.
I've come to really enjoy my Utopia so much that I've already sold my PS1K and Stax 007MK2/009 because I found myself only reaching for the them because I had them, not because I want to listen to them. The same applies to the PS2Ke. By all means the PS2Ke (and the others) are exceptional headphones, but I just prefer the Utopia at this time in my journey. At this point in price/performance it's just a sidestep and comes down to individual preference.

I did compare my PS1K and PS2Ke side by side and was shocked at how much more I enjoyed the latter, which is why I sold the former which I've highly
regarded for a long time.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #38,718 of 65,692
Either the SMC connectors I have suck, or I suck at using them. I much prefer mini-xlr. Much easier to solder (both plug and jack), and easier to use. To each his own!
I think you suck at using them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, LOL, just kidding. Agree that SMC jacks are not the easiest to work with but I think it has more to do with the design of the jack since I've found some are much harder to work with than others. I do like the mini-XLR but mainly for use in Beyers since the existing cable hole is too large for SMC jacks.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #38,719 of 65,692
I've had like 4 grados in my life without problems, pulled the trigger for the PS2000e and they arrived damaged :frowning2: so sad. The damage is in the gimbal of the left cup, seems like it was improperly attached. The thing that goes to the headband is detached from the thing that goes to the ear cup, essentially the gimbal is split in two pieces. Filled a return for an exchange so I hope it doesn't take too long to get a replacement.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #38,720 of 65,692
I've had like 4 grados in my life without problems, pulled the trigger for the PS2000e and they arrived damaged :frowning2: so sad. The damage is in the gimbal of the left cup, seems like it was improperly attached. The thing that goes to the headband is detached from the thing that goes to the ear cup, essentially the gimbal is split in two pieces. Filled a return for an exchange so I hope it doesn't take too long to get a replacement.
Maaan, at the VERY LEAST Grado needs to make sure their TOTL headphone comes out with not only identical twin drivers, lol but everything else needs to be impeccable! That damn 12 conductor cable comes a mess more often than not! C'mon Grado!

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #38,721 of 65,692
I'm listening to my sr80e (earzonk L-cush) out of dragonfly red and iphone and I got to say I'm enjoying it just as much as my rs2e out of my microzotl 2s & chord hugo 2 and mac pro (Amarra luxe).

Amazing how good the sr80e is for the price. Like 90 to 95% of rs2e.
I also got say, I love the earzonk L-cush over the grado L-cush.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #38,725 of 65,692
This thread is too long to apprehend what is unique to Grado headphones.
Anyone tell me what is the nature of Grado among mirad of headphones?
I never had Grado.
It seems you guys have secrete treasure shared among only here.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #38,726 of 65,692
This thread is too long to apprehend what is unique to Grado headphones.
Anyone tell me what is the nature of Grado among mirad of headphones?
I never had Grado.
It seems you guys have secrete treasure shared among only here.
Grados have an unique sound, it's open and detailed. What I like the most is that when you wear them you don't perceive changes in the sound around you. You may think that happens with all open back headphones, but in reality even between open back headphones that degree of transparency is different. So imagine you put them on and the acoustics of the room you are in are unaffected and then you start to add music to the mix. That at the end translates to a perception of natural sound. Other than that most Grados have a very similar sound signature, so they sound alike. The mids are clear, the treble can be a little harsh (depends of volume, source, amp, Grado model, etc), and the bass is clear but subtle. You should try them, entry level models are not that expensive and have good quality.

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #38,727 of 65,692
Grados have an unique sound, it's open and detailed. What I like the most is that when you wear them you don't perceive changes in the sound around you. You may think that happens with all open back headphones, but in reality even between open back headphones that degree of transparency is different. So imagine you put them on and the acoustics of the room you are in are unaffected and then you start to add music to the mix. That at the end translates to a perception of natural sound. Other than that most Grados have a very similar sound signature, so they sound alike. The mids are clear, the treble can be a little harsh (depends of volume, source, amp, Grado model, etc), and the bass is clear but subtle. You should try them, entry level models are not that expensive and have good quality.
Well said, I like to add that most are quite easy to mod such as different ear pads since the stock pads can be an issue for some and different ear pads will let one do some fine tuning of the sound along with providing better comfort, IMO.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #38,729 of 65,692
What you said is basically linearity that allows superimposing any combination of tone.
This means again Grado can handle very large band like orchestral music, where many phones have difficulty to handle without congestion.
My phones are for classical orchestral music, and I am not sensitive for sound stage but sensitive for congestion or coherence of the complex passage of the music outburst.
Does it justify Grado?

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #38,730 of 65,692
What you said is basically linearity that allows superimposing any combination of tone.
This means again Grado can handle very large band like orchestral music, where many phones have difficulty to handle without congestion.
My phones are for classical orchestral music, and I am not sensitive for sound stage but sensitive for congestion or coherence of the complex passage of the music outburst.
Does it justify Grado?

it depends on what your priority is and how big the ensemble are, for me grado excel in tonality and presence than any other headphones i've tried, especially for the price. i rarely listen to orchestra though so i can't really relate if grado truly magical in that aspect or not. but i do feel it's a bit compressed for orchestra, i feel headphones with float frame could deliver much better for orchestra but most of the time the tonality is a bit off. however grado tune theirr headphones with duke ellington music which is basically a big band but not as big as orchestra i guess

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back