Grado Fan Club!
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #38,686 of 65,667
I have this weird preternatural ability to sense when new Grado's are about to drop. My GH3's just arrived this afternoon. :)
I've trailed off the forums after the switch to the new message board system, but two days ago I figured I'd swing by and see what's going on and... Grado's releasing not one but TWO new GH's... unbelievable.
I purged by Grado collection about a year ago (never really listened to them any more), so the prospect of owning a "cheap" Grado woodie was too hard to resist. Grado warehouse being 20miles away from me... just received my new GH3's a few mins ago. And you know what, they're about what I expected. A beautiful
headphone that won't knock your socks off, but it'll put a smile on your face.

-------------------------------------------------------REPLY BELOW------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget that like all Grados I have tried they will benefit and improve with playtime and breaking in, IMHO. Enjoy the ride.

ESL-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, they're super flipping light on the head, and outrageously comfortable. It's like they're not even on my ears.
And, and, they look pretty and they don't smell like cocobolo (good lord those GH-2's gave me a headache from the smell alone).

All and all, I think these are the Grado's I'll keep in the stable forever. It's a super fun, crunchy guitar/indie rock lovin', scrapper of a headphone, and I dig it!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #38,687 of 65,667
I have this weird preternatural ability to sense when new Grado's are about to drop. My GH3's just arrived this afternoon. :)
I've trailed off the forums after the switch to the new message board system, but two days ago I figured I'd swing by and see what's going on and... Grado's releasing not one but TWO new GH's... unbelievable.
I purged by Grado collection about a year ago (never really listened to them any more), so the prospect of owning a "cheap" Grado woodie was too hard to resist. Grado warehouse being 20miles away from me... just received my new GH3's a few mins ago. And you know what, they're about what I expected. A beautiful headphone that won't knock your socks off, but it'll put a smile on your face.

And, they're super flipping light on the head, and outrageously comfortable. It's like they're not even on my ears.
And, and, they look pretty and they don't smell like cocobolo (good lord those GH-2's gave me a headache from the smell alone).

All and all, I think these are the Grado's I'll keep in the stable forever. It's a super fun, crunchy guitar/indie rock lovin', scrapper of a headphone, and I dig it!
Ha ha I actually like the smell of cocobolo. it's mesmerizing, just like GH2 itself..

Looking forward to more impressions of GH3, and if possible, comparisons to GH2?

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #38,688 of 65,667
Quick question, guys.

Is it worth getting my HF2's balanced, the only downside to it I can see is I have to plug them in the back of my MDAC and even worse use XLR adaptors so it looks like a pair of torpedoes sticking out. Not expecting huge gains but as I'm getting a new cable done anyway..

Yea or nay?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #38,691 of 65,667
Any particular reasons, ruhenheiM?
i don't think it's worth, it's really minor improvement. but if you already have balance amp and you're going to recable it anyway, why not give it a try then

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #38,693 of 65,667
So you're taking apart the HF2 and re-cabling them?

i think that's the only way to make it balance on older model, in newer model, we only need to reterminate it right?

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #38,694 of 65,667
i don't think it's worth, it's really minor improvement. but if you already have balance amp and you're going to recable it anyway, why not give it a try then

Was just going to have a quick listen to them through my Little Dot and realised I have already wrapped them up ready to send off,
So you're taking apart the HF2 and re-cabling them?

Re-cable at Custom Cans, the stock cable was bent flat on both sides when I got it and it's annoyingly short and cheap looking plastic, after the sound cut out the other day I thought it was finally worth getting a decent one on there.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #38,697 of 65,667
Was just going to have a quick listen to them through my Little Dot and realised I have already wrapped them up ready to send off,

Re-cable at Custom Cans, the stock cable was bent flat on both sides when I got it and it's annoyingly short and cheap looking plastic, after the sound cut out the other day I thought it was finally worth getting a decent one on there.
If they cut out on you then a re-cable would be nice but I'd go a different way and make the cables detachable at the cups using SMC, 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks. It will make it easier to change cables so you can easily change your cable in the future. I'd used SMC since the jacks are small and the connection is quite secure, like this on my RS2e:
RS2e_Refinished-SMC.jpg

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #38,698 of 65,667
If they cut out on you then a re-cable would be nice but I'd go a different way and make the cables detachable at the cups using SMC, 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks. It will make it easier to change cables so you can easily change your cable in the future. I'd used SMC since the jacks are small and the connection is quite secure, like this on my RS2e:

That's a good idea, I'll ask if they can do that. Would be nice to have a single sided cable as well, never liked having the thing on my chest while listening. Never seen that mod though, not on a Grado.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #38,699 of 65,667
I saw that mentioned somewhere as well, I assumed you just stick XLR connectors on the end and they are balanced, is it more complicated than that?

i'm not sure

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #38,700 of 65,667
Using SMC jacks is one of my favorite since they are so small but still provide a secure connection and the jacks are reasonably priced unlike some of the others that I've considered (HD800, MMCX and a few others). Here are a few other pictures of the SMC jack mods that I've done so you can get a better idea of what it will look like:
G1_image-2.jpg G1_image-3.jpg
Grado Cups-2.jpg Grado driver removal-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back