Grado Fan Club!
Jan 1, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #38,956 of 65,797
Been listening to Yello on Tidal on a Mytek Brooklyn DAC. The PS1000e sound excellent. I think this is turning out to be one of my better headphone purchases.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #38,959 of 65,797
My Grado GS1000e headphones continued to improve even after 400 hours of use.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #38,961 of 65,797
Some people say that what burns in is your brain, not your headphones.

Listen to one set of 'phones, exclusively, for a period of time - like 2 weeks. Then, switch back to another set you like with the same collection of music.

You will hear your old cans "differently" than you may remember, because your brain has acclimated to a new sound signature. This is where the dreaded "Sennheiser Veil" comes from, in my experience. Head-Fi'ers first try the HD-650s after coming from something relatively bright sounding, like Grado, and are (maybe) under-amping the cans.

Another classic example: AudioQuest Nighthawks. Almost universally, no one likes them on initial listen (too dark with exaggerated upper bass/lower mids). After the magical 150 hours of "burn-in", many people later decide they love the sound. Read the Nighthawk thread and you can witness this, first-hand.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #38,962 of 65,797
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #38,964 of 65,797
Grado released a new update to their iGe in ears, the iGe3.
http://blog.gradolabs.com/new-ige3/

The "e" series Grados were formally introduced in 2014 so it makes me wonder if they'll revise the whole line this coming year. I don't think it's really necessary yet but it would be interesting.

Has anybody here bought any new e series Grados recently that have any cosmetic differences? ie the driver magnet color being painted different color, or the size of the L-cush being slightly larger, etc. I've spotted different artwork on the retail boxes with the updated Grado logo but not much else.

Haven't seen anything new in the cans that pass through my hands...but would be interested to see if anything from the new design used on the GW100 seeps into the rest of the line. The redesigned headband, and the logo on the button strike me as two obvious candidates for broader adoption.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #38,965 of 65,797
Listen to one set of 'phones, exclusively, for a period of time - like 2 weeks. Then, switch back to another set you like with the same collection of music.

You will hear your old cans "differently" than you may remember, because your brain has acclimated to a new sound signature. This is where the dreaded "Sennheiser Veil" comes from, in my experience. Head-Fi'ers first try the HD-650s after coming from something relatively bright sounding, like Grado, and are (maybe) under-amping the cans.

Another classic example: AudioQuest Nighthawks. Almost universally, no one likes them on initial listen (too dark with exaggerated upper bass/lower mids). After the magical 150 hours of "burn-in", many people later decide they love the sound. Read the Nighthawk thread and you can witness this, first-hand.
Agree with the nighthawk. I can confirm that it really changed my listening preference. Now every SR or RS series Grado sounds bass light and “not warm enough” for me, after about two months with the nighthawk..

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #38,966 of 65,797

You will hear your old cans "differently" than you may remember, because your brain has acclimated to a new sound signature.

This happens to me regularly within my collection. If I listen Grado for a few weeks and then pull out Sony, HiFiman, etc, they sound "wrong". Then, 30 to 60 minutes in, I remember why I love the other 'phones. Our brain gets used to a certain sound, presented in a certain way. And if your collection contains very different models, you have to do some adapting.

I always think it's just brain burn in. We have to adjust to different presentations. That is why I keep trying different brands out.

Shane D

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #38,967 of 65,797
Update on the PS1000es....they now have 100+ hours on them and the midrange is a bit more fluid. Seems the same effect I got with the PS500s I used to have. The bass gets better and the highs settle down a smidge. But seems less so on the PS1000s.

In any event, they sound great and I'm really happy with the purchase.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #38,968 of 65,797
This happens to me regularly within my collection. If I listen Grado for a few weeks and then pull out Sony, HiFiman, etc, they sound "wrong". Then, 30 to 60 minutes in, I remember why I love the other 'phones. Our brain gets used to a certain sound, presented in a certain way. And if your collection contains very different models, you have to do some adapting.

I always think it's just brain burn in. We have to adjust to different presentations. That is why I keep trying different brands out.

Shane D

i think that's true...but I also think cans definitely burn-in over the first 100-200 hours.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #38,969 of 65,797
i think that's true...but I also think cans definitely burn-in over the first 100-200 hours.

Just out of curiosity what do you think physically "burns in"?

Shane D

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #38,970 of 65,797
I liked the 225e but didn't love it. The 325e was way, way too bright for my ear and I had to get rid of them quickly. Had the opportunity of demoing the Heritage GH3 while I was in NYC and I'm very intrigued. It's the warmest Grado I've heard but still has the Grado sound. Wish there was a place near me I could go and demo it in a quieter place.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back