Grado Fan Club!
May 23, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #65,791 of 66,261
HP1000 still has the most realistic violin (or other string based), piano (still string based..lol), cymbals and jazz drums of any cans I have ever heard. Albums like this is made for HP1000, better than Utopia, Aperio, whatever stax or planar.

1716499402298.png

May 23, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #65,793 of 66,261
What’s the best cable mod that I can do with my Hemp? I can’t take this cable anymore.

May 23, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #65,794 of 66,261
Fun listening to the PS500x and RS2x on my 2 DAPs today.

PS500x is slightly more smooth and more powerful bass.

RS2x feels more open, still good bass.

May 24, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #65,795 of 66,261
What’s the best cable mod that I can do with my Hemp? I can’t take this cable anymore.
Beautiful audio Grado adapter. Pretty easy to do it on your own and you don't need to solder the wires on the adapter.

May 24, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #65,796 of 66,261
Opinions, advice, votes, please!

Turbulent Labs XL headband vs Nyczaj (Shipbo) XL headband.

I have a big head so am concerned too much padding will make the whole thing rise up too high even fully extended. But the point is comfort. And thicker is not necessarily better in that regard, anyway. TL doesn't particularly describe their foam, N/S has memory foam.

Price is identical ($60 US.) Yes, I know TL has colors and N/S only has black.

Thanks!

May 24, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #65,798 of 66,261
Just got in the Grado RS1x. My first impression was that they were trash (same first impression as the Hemp,) but they are growing on me.

They don't work for every track but there are quite a few I found that they really shine on. They are definitely a better headphone than the Hemp, IMO.

May 24, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #65,799 of 66,261
I have at least a sentimental attachment to my hemps, with hundreds with hundreds of hours in, but I have a pair of RS1xs I recently bought used, clearly already with some burn in, and they blow them out of the water, especially through my new Vali 3.

May 24, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #65,800 of 66,261
I have at least a sentimental attachment to my hemps, with hundreds with hundreds of hours in, but I have a pair of RS1xs I recently bought used, clearly already with some burn in, and they blow them out of the water, especially through my new Vali 3.
Yeah, I am listening on a very neutral solid state amp, I am sure a tube or tube hybrid would help beef up the sound a bit, which i think is the RS1X's biggest weakness. Some music sounds a bit thin on it, so its not going to work for everything.

The hemp was beefy, but at way too much expense of clarity.

This is the standout track so far for me on the RS-1x. You'd think it would be classic rock or something, but surprisingly not, I liked the presentation on this better than on my much bassier H95:.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #65,801 of 66,261
Makes sense to me. I warn you, if you buy a Vali 3, it's only $150, but what it will cost you in productivity in the other areas of your life while you decide to listen to just one more track and okay one more track and gee let's just hear what this sounds like through it and then I'll get back to <task> etc. will be severe.

May 24, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #65,802 of 66,261
Makes sense to me. I warn you, if you buy a Vali 3, it's only $150, but what it will cost you in productivity in the other areas of your life while you decide to listen to just one more track and okay one more track and gee let's just hear what this sounds like through it and then I'll get back to <task> etc. will be severe.
if I go that route will probably get project sunrise 3.1, I think. But not going there yet!

May 24, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #65,803 of 66,261
Lol.

May 24, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #65,804 of 66,261
Yeah, I am listening on a very neutral solid state amp, I am sure a tube or tube hybrid would help beef up the sound a bit, which i think is the RS1X's biggest weakness. Some music sounds a bit thin on it, so its not going to work for everything.

The hemp was beefy, but at way too much expense of clarity.

This is the standout track so far for me on the RS-1x. You'd think it would be classic rock or something, but surprisingly not, I liked the presentation on this better than on my much bassier H95:.

If not already mentioned many people found the RS1x to need a lot of break in/playing time to hit their stride
(300 hrs) I found the bass became more detailed and impact improved. Mids and highs sound more refined and natural. Right now I have been giving my GS3000x more playtime, I am expecting a bit more change.

In some cases other models are usually fine within 100 hours or so.

Here’s some pennies to go along with my thoughts, nothing more than that.

May 24, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #65,805 of 66,261
If not already mentioned many people found the RS1x to need a lot of break in/playing time to hit their stride
(300 hrs) I found the bass became more detailed and impact improved. Mids and highs sound more refined and natural. Right now I have been giving my GS3000x more playtime, I am expecting a bit more change.

In some cases other models are usually fine within 100 hours or so.

Here’s some pennies to go along with my thoughts, nothing more than that.
I'm always debating if the headphone actually breaks in or your brain. e.g. you get used to it. B/c I am not sure what would physically change in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back