Grado Fan Club!
May 26, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #65,821 of 66,291
I experience burn-in (or whatever you want to call the change of sonical qualities for the better in the first x hours of use) a lot. That includes letting a headphone just play music for a certain amount of time while not actively listening. So it can't be "brain in". And i am not saying it always works, some headphones just stay boring/unengaging. But some really take a turn for the better.
Ya maybe I cant refute. Difficult though to account for burn-in perception not possibly caused by psychological adjustments or pad positioning particularly with Grado.

edit: Would need measurement rig i think.

Here is another test result.: “No evidence in support of the existence of the break-in effect was found in this test.”
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #65,822 of 66,291
Im not just here to be a party pooper. Im a Grado fan. Im glad to see @RichGrado posting here. Sir, I would like to buy a Grado with disconnect cables asap. I know it was teased at Hifi Munich (thanks @plakat ), so Im happy to see its finally coming. Why the delay if I may ask? when people have been begging expressing interest for so long!

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #65,823 of 66,291
Ya maybe I cant refute. Difficult though to account for burn-in perception not possibly caused by psychological adjustments or pad positioning particularly with Grado.

edit: Would need measurement rig i think.

Here is another test result.: “No evidence in support of the existence of the break-in effect was found in this test.”
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-

I never said there are no psychological effects. There are days when all or just some of my Grados sound off to me. And there are days they all or just some sound great. But that's something different than not being impressed by a new headphone and then let it run for 200 hours and then it sounds much better/smoother/whatever. It happened too many times to just be my head.

Im not just here to be a party pooper. Im a Grado fan. Im glad to see @RichGrado posting here. Sir, I would like to buy a Grado with disconnect cables asap. I know it was teased at Hifi Munich (thanks @plakat ), so Im happy to see its finally coming. Why the delay if I may ask? when people have been begging expressing interest for so long!

I guess (and it's only a guess) that they tune their headphones as a unit with the cables. Different cables can throw off that balance they want their headphones to have. I for one am glad that i cannot change the cables on my Grados, one less thing to worry about. I know i would experiment with lots of different cables if i could just swap them, costing me lots of time and money.

Grado meme 1.jpeg

May 26, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #65,824 of 66,291
.... There are days when all or just some of my Grados sound off to me. And there are days they all or just some sound great ....
That's headphone audio life! For me, the setup that sounds celestial one day can sound infernal on another day. When that happens .... workout #3 for the day .... 🏋️.

May 26, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #65,825 of 66,291
I never said there are no psychological effects. There are days when all or just some of my Grados sound off to me. And there are days they all or just some sound great. But that's something different than not being impressed by a new headphone and then let it run for 200 hours and then it sounds much better/smoother/whatever. It happened too many times to just be my head.
Contradictory to your earlier post where you said, “so it cant be brain burn-in.”:
I experience burn-in (or whatever you want to call the change of sonical qualities for the better in the first x hours of use) a lot. That includes letting a headphone just play music for a certain amount of time while not actively listening. So it can't be "brain in". And i am not saying it always works, some headphones just stay boring/unengaging. But some really take a turn for the better.

I am confused by your arguments. I didnt say I wanted to change cables for audiophile reasons. I want to change for practical reasons because stock cable situation is considered a con and has been for decades because big and heavy. While the current sheathing is microphonic and stiff and messed up my RS2x. Perhaps my complaining about my messed up RS2x due to cable is what prompted Grado to make changes, sooooo youre welcome.

I guess (and it's only a guess) that they tune their headphones as a unit with the cables. Different cables can throw off that balance they want their headphones to have. I for one am glad that i cannot change the cables on my Grados, one less thing to worry about. I know i would experiment with lots of different cables if i could just swap them, costing me lots of time and money.

Grado meme 1.jpeg
I dont get the custom meme. Let me try to understand your commentary.:
- detachable cables are good
- complaints are bad
- you seem upset

May 26, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #65,826 of 66,291

Grado meme 1.jpeg
Grado can keep the same cable. Just make it detachable.

May 26, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #65,829 of 66,291
I am confused by your arguments. I didnt say I wanted to change cables for audiophile reasons. I want to change for practical reasons because stock cable situation is considered a con and has been for decades because big and heavy. While the current sheathing is microphonic and stiff and messed up my RS2x. Perhaps my complaining about my messed up RS2x due to cable is what prompted Grado to make changes, sooooo youre welcome.
Well you want Grados with detachable cables. And i pointed out what might be a reason they don't sell Grado headphones with detachable cables. Nothing more, nothing less.

I dont get the custom meme. Let me try to understand your commentary.:
- detachable cables are good
- complaints are bad
- you seem upset
No i don't like/need detachable cables. And where did i say that complaints are bad? I just find them entertaining. And no, i am not upset at all. But you seem a little.

Contradictory to your earlier post where you said, “so it cant be brain burn-in.”
In this case i mentioned it can't be "brain in". You know listening to a brand new Grado, not liking it, then playing music on it for 150 hours then listening again and liking it. Where is the time for my brain to adapt if i didn't listen?

May 26, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #65,830 of 66,291
In this case i mentioned it can't be "brain in". You know listening to a brand new Grado, not liking it, then playing music on it for 150 hours then listening again and liking it. Where is the time for my brain to adapt if i didn't listen?
Yes, there is… your brains expectations were set with the previous contact. The play time alone did not change the driver… otherwise it would be really hard to voice a headphone.

May 26, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #65,831 of 66,291
Yes, there is… your brains expectations were set with the previous contact. The play time alone did not change the driver… otherwise it would be really hard to voice a headphone.
Well i envy you. You know things and you're confident in teaching people. And you save a lot of time because your headphones are always fully ready for listening to straight out of the box!

May 26, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #65,832 of 66,291
Well you want Grados with detachable cables. And i pointed out what might be a reason they don't sell Grado headphones with detachable cables. Nothing more, nothing less.
Hmmm. I doubt you would consider that as Grado’s or any headphone company’s position for not using detachable cables. Silly.

No i don't like/need detachable cables. And where did i say that complaints are bad? I just find them entertaining. And no, i am not upset at all. But you seem a little.
You called other headphones with detachable cables “basic beaches”, and you called me “serial forum complainer”. You also sorta implied that Grado sound “sweet” as-is, so using alternate cable from stock would effect the sound adversely. And I dont get upset over disagreements, I highly recommend dissent (its vital and necessary for progress) even though it is unwelcome at best in many arena.

There are many reasons for perspective to alter starting with limited human memory. What about what did you do with your time in between listens? If you listened to Senn HD600 prior to Grado then you might have a much starker reaction…

Well i envy you. You know things and you're confident in teaching people. And you save a lot of time because your headphones are always fully ready for listening to straight out of the box!
Its okay. We’re just discussing our opinions. Feel free to disagree but dont become offensive if some one respectfully doesnt agree with you.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #65,833 of 66,291
Am I allowed to be offended by how boring this little spat is?

May 26, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #65,835 of 66,291

Users who are viewing this thread

Back