Grado Fan Club!
May 26, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #65,839 of 66,284
The cable is too stiff now, but at least it doesn't overwind by the cup anymore like the older cable.

The actual quality of the cable is good and it is probably part of their sound design like the pads.

20 years in the audio industry repairing and selling speakers and headphones and burn in is real.

Demo Paradigm Studio 60's and other speakers sounded much better than brand new pairs side-by-side...

May 26, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #65,840 of 66,284
Upon reflection it seems to me possible that at least wooden Grados might be quite different from other headphones in terms of burn/break-in. I say this because I was raised around the theater and music world and worked there for a number of years (all behind the scenes, fortunately!) through the 1980s, the loudspeakers back then were largely made of wood, and they definitely developed over time (home equipment is, of course, more refined, and one did not see a lot of wood in it back then anyway.) It certainly makes ligical sense, wood being porous and a lot of vibration going through it. Obviously headphones aren't pumping out that much sound, but they aren't that big, so while the proportions may or may not be similar, the idea is. Plus glue, or at least the glue on these headphones, has to be somewhat malleable or nobody would ever be able to get the drivers out, it's not superglue. As far as the anecdotal element goes, I'm an immediate gratificatin junkie who just put a newish set of cans through the following, and there is absolutely a difference. Should you wish to try it, please note this is part one and if you look in the comments of the guy who posted it you will see the links to parts two and three. Being an immediate gratification junkie, I did not wait a full day to do each but I waited at least 4being an immediate gratification junkie, I did not wait a full day to do each but I waited at least 4 hours in between. I am also officially stating in writing that should you wish to try them it is entirely at your own risk and I accept no responsibility whatsoever. The guy also recommends not going through the cycle more than three times, so you bet I'm sticking with one. This doesn't mean I won't use other pink noise things though. Anyway, whether or not it works, I think my initial thoughts above are not as stupid as my usual ones:

May 26, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #65,841 of 66,284
Upon reflection it seems to me possible that at least wooden Grados might be quite different from other headphones in terms of burn/break-in. I say this because I was raised around the theater and music world and worked there for a number of years (all behind the scenes, fortunately!) through the 1980s, the loudspeakers back then were largely made of wood, and they definitely developed over time (home equipment is, of course, more refined, and one did not see a lot of wood in it back then anyway.) It certainly makes ligical sense, wood being porous and a lot of vibration going through it. Obviously headphones aren't pumping out that much sound, but they aren't that big, so while the proportions may or may not be similar, the idea is. Plus glue, or at least the glue on these headphones, has to be somewhat malleable or nobody would ever be able to get the drivers out, it's not superglue. As far as the anecdotal element goes, I'm an immediate gratificatin junkie who just put a newish set of cans through the following, and there is absolutely a difference. Should you wish to try it, please note this is part one and if you look in the comments of the guy who posted it you will see the links to parts two and three. Being an immediate gratification junkie, I did not wait a full day to do each but I waited at least 4being an immediate gratification junkie, I did not wait a full day to do each but I waited at least 4 hours in between. I am also officially stating in writing that should you wish to try them it is entirely at your own risk and I accept no responsibility whatsoever. The guy also recommends not going through the cycle more than three times, so you bet I'm sticking with one. This doesn't mean I won't use other pink noise things though. Anyway, whether or not it works, I think my initial thoughts above are not as stupid as my usual ones:

Also think of the moving parts in a headphone driver. They surely are a tiny bit stiffer right after production than after having been used a while?

Letting your headphones 'settle in' is for free. And if it really is a thing then it will happen anyway, if you believe in it or not. So i dunno what all the controversy is about.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #65,842 of 66,284
I have upgraded another Grado hp with a beautifulaudio adapter! And I have decided to keep the PS500e instead of selling it! Pics are coming later.

Attachments

• 20240527_180436.jpg
    20240527_180436.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 27, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #65,843 of 66,284
Makes sense to me. I warn you, if you buy a Vali 3, it's only $150, but what it will cost you in productivity in the other areas of your life while you decide to listen to just one more track and okay one more track and gee let's just hear what this sounds like through it and then I'll get back to <task> etc. will be severe.
Thought about it and ordered a Garage1217 Project Polaris to go alongside the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Edition '23. That way I can do either clean output or tubey distortion, without actually needing tubes

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #65,846 of 66,284
May 27, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #65,847 of 66,284
20 years in the audio industry repairing and selling speakers and headphones and burn in is real.
8 years working in a company, producing speakers and headphones and speaker-burn in does not exist. We tried, but could not find any trace of measurable change in speaker units after XXXX hours of break in.

May 27, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #65,848 of 66,284
8 years working in a company, producing speakers and headphones and speaker-burn in does not exist. We tried, but could not find any trace of measurable change in speaker units after XXXX hours of break in.
The “measurements” unfortunately will never tell the total tale. Proved it many a time with phono cartridges that all had almost identical traces. They never would sound the same. That was the reality to me and my fellow professionals in the business buddies. I always trust my ears for final comparisons and that is what worked for me. Over 40 years in retail audio at some of the best salons in NYC.

Everyone must go with their experience and that is the only truth to come of this.

Just sit back and enjoy the music as you hear it.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #65,849 of 66,284
While my position on that topic is well known, in the end I think the really important thing is that we can enjoy music. Not bearing the load of manufacturing headphones myself I can just use them for what they are made for.

My next challenge is slowly making it towards me... if all goes well I might have it by tomorrow.

May 27, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #65,850 of 66,284
"Music"? What is this "music" everybody keeps talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back