Grado Fan Club!
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #35,221 of 65,587
Does it bother anyone that Grados measurements are so terrible. THD, l&r frequency response, squarewave etc etc

Objectively Grado is one of the worst haha but there's something cool and unique about using the ear as John does when tuning these drivers. I respect good stats and low thd and I use fr graphs a lot to get an idea of a headphone. But obviously above all else is sound and that's what keeps me a gradohead.

What you guys think.. good that their stats are bad.. a bad thing? or perhaps​ you don't care either way.

I lean towards it being a bad thing as I feel they could keep their signature sound while also hoping r&d and making things technically great too. Not sure though just my two cents.

I agree with said statements. I feel that if Grado Headphones were an particular amp topology, it would be a tube amp. Just like a tube amp imparts it's pleasant distortion so too does a Grado impart its unique sonics albeit without the stellar measurements. They still sound right to me in so many ways! Cheers

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #35,223 of 65,587
I was looking into getting a pair of grados to mod, and would it be a waste of money to buy sr 60e's to replace the cups, pads, and headband?

You might want to check in the "post your Grado mods" thread but I don't think its a waste to do the mods you are proposing.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #35,224 of 65,587
I was looking into getting a pair of grados to mod, and would it be a waste of money to buy sr 60e's to replace the cups, pads, and headband?

depends how much money you spend and what's the goal here.as far as it goes the drivers had its limitation. but from my experience, it's not waste of money

Does it bother anyone that Grados measurements are so terrible. THD, l&r frequency response, squarewave etc etc

Objectively Grado is one of the worst haha but there's something cool and unique about using the ear as John does when tuning these drivers. I respect good stats and low thd and I use fr graphs a lot to get an idea of a headphone. But obviously above all else is sound and that's what keeps me a gradohead.

What you guys think.. good that their stats are bad.. a bad thing? or perhaps​ you don't care either way.

I lean towards it being a bad thing as I feel they could keep their signature sound while also upping r&d and making things technically great too. Not sure though just my two cents.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #35,225 of 65,587

I lean towards it being a bad thing as I feel they could keep their signature sound while also upping r&d and making things technically great too. Not sure though just my two cents.

i'll say what i always say, "if you like it, it's good"  i don't care much for graphs , it's like reading the side effects of a new medicine, ALL of them, and then getting all of those side effects, lol
i'm a music lover and good sound, i trust my ears completely , don't care about stats 

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #35,226 of 65,587
it's been said many times that we "listen to music, not measurements". that's not to say that objective measurements don't have a valid role to play in this hobby, but it's not a crime either if you happen to enjoy the sound signature of a can that doesn't measure well. there's no requirement for our subjective listening preferences to align with the optimal headphone fr curve - whatever that is, or to enjoy a can that has more thd than is ideal.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #35,227 of 65,587
I agree with said statements. I feel that if Grado Headphones were an particular amp topology, it would be a tube amp. Just like a tube amp imparts it's pleasant distortion so too does a Grado impart its unique sonics albeit without the stellar measurements. They still sound right to me in so many ways! Cheers

This post pretty much matches my thoughts too. Good analogy.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #35,228 of 65,587
it's been said many times that we "listen to music, not measurements". that's not to say that objective measurements don't have a valid role to play in this hobby, but it's not a crime either if you happen to enjoy the sound signature of a can that doesn't measure well. there's no requirement for our subjective listening preferences to align with the optimal headphone fr curve - whatever that is, or to enjoy a can that has more thd than is ideal.

totally agree, measurements can be useful, and interesting , i especially like them when comparing old models to new models, but in the end
it's the ears, and we all probably agree on that, at least here in gradoland 

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #35,229 of 65,587

I wonder how much of that is due to bad sealing on the test unit. On ear headphones don't really seal well to GRAS units.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #35,230 of 65,587
I wonder how much of that is due to bad sealing on the test unit. On ear headphones don't really seal well to GRAS units.

I don't think it has too much to do with that as Grado has never seemed to put much effort in the objective/technical side. Joseph may have idk. Take a look at charts for the ps1000 which is over ear.. it's way behind anything close to it in price. It's funny though because ps1000 is one of my favorites of all.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #35,231 of 65,587
That's one of Tylls biggest concerns with Grado and it's why he doesn't review or write about them. Well that plus they probably won't send him any for free haha not that I care about that because for some reason we seem to have complete opposite tastes.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #35,232 of 65,587
i don't think grado send free sample, for the low end probably.but high end.i never read such disclaimer

even engineer who design and create speaker know this thing
"Ultimately, hifi is about music. Although my personal path was about the technology of reproducing music, it's still about the music "
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2014/03/15/12-questions-for-andrew-jones-director-of-speaker-engineering-for-pioneer-electronics-and-tad-labs/#4421dd1c5521

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #35,233 of 65,587

I'd try to pick up a pair of secondhand 80e or 225e. Those sound great but won't be super expensive if you're just gonna take em apart.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #35,234 of 65,587
That's one of Tylls biggest concerns with Grado and it's why he doesn't review or write about them. Well that plus they probably won't send him any for free haha not that I care about that because for some reason we seem to have complete opposite tastes.

he's not a fan of the grado sound - too bright for his taste i would think. tho he did write a complimentary piece about the ps1000 and gs1000 some years ago.

edit - found it. interesting read from a knowledgeable reviewer imo: https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/13776765-worlds-best-headphone-review-the-grado-gs1000-and-ps1000

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #35,235 of 65,587

Tyll lauds the NAD VISO hp50, which in his November 13, 2013 innerfidelity article he rhapsodizes about how well it follows the Sean Olive headphone curve.  I bought it and found it well made but very boring in sound.  I love the Grado sound, which apparently does not "measure" well.  Guess I cannot use measurements to predict pleasure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back