Grado Fan Club!
Apr 10, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #35,237 of 65,714
I don't think it has too much to do with that as Grado has never seemed to put much effort in the objective/technical side. Joseph may have idk. Take a look at charts for the ps1000 which is over ear.. it's way behind anything close to it in price. It's funny though because ps1000 is one of my favorites of all.

Maybe but from the one time I have tried the PS1000 for a bit, I could see it have some sealing problems on a GRAS unit which would explain the low end distortion. But yeah sound wise the PS1000 (I believe it was an i model) is right up at the top of favorite headphones I have listened too.
That's one of Tylls biggest concerns with Grado and it's why he doesn't review or write about them. Well that plus they probably won't send him any for free haha not that I care about that because for some reason we seem to have complete opposite tastes.

I also found have pretty different tastes then Tyll. Having tried some of his wall of fame headphones, I can say they weren't for me.

I do looks at measurements at least cause the SPL curve in general gives me an idea of whether or not I would like the headphone and also to see how hard they are to drive.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #35,238 of 65,714
Grado headphones aren't made to create a seal. 
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #35,239 of 65,714
@ruhenheiM Your post definitely makes sense and makes me feel better about my eventual unboxing. These headphones are meant to be enjoyed and I think as soon as I get the itch for something new then I'll unbox one. Like I said above - who says you can't collect rare/limited editions while using them at the same time?

​If I were you, I'd open the GH2 right away, simply because it is still available, so if they're really THAT good then you could still go and buy a brand new pair and save them for later, but if you find them not that great then you still did the right thing because if they're not good then it's meaningless to save them for the future.

On the other hand, it's really complicated for your GH1. As much as I want them to be enjoyed, I realized that they're probably the only brand new pair of GH1 on earth, so it's tempting to keep them the way they are. Though I'm certain about one thing: the longer you keep your GH1, the less possible you'll unbox them..
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #35,240 of 65,714
somebody PLEASE buy my teac -ud-301 !!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-grado-gs1000e-statement-series-headphones-2017-04-10-headphones-53558-9504-mcfarland-wi

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #35,242 of 65,714

LOL!
What are looking to replace it with?

for right now a modi uber , i'm not going lower than the $225 though, it's really good 
i have a modi 1 and wyrd running with my marantz in my "mancave workroom" system which i'm still working on 
you know me, my plans always change
i just thought that was a great deal for a gs1000e, it's one of my all time favorites

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #35,243 of 65,714
Hey guys, just got my pair of GH2. I put them on and played Neil Young's "Live in Massey Hall", and was really enjoying what I hear.

First impressions: the bass is definitely there, and despite its strong presence, strangely, it doesn't feel out of place at all. Thanks to its presence, the acoustic guitar and the piano sounds so realistic, so much more than what I've heard on my 225e/ 325e/ PS500e. Neil Young's voice is full-bodied and very smooth, but if I had to pick one word to describe it I would say "refined", because it never felt over-emote on songs like "Journey Through the Past", but it's sincere and elegant. For most of the songs I felt GH2 was towards dark-sounding, but when the guitar hits hard or when Neil Young hits high on "Old Man", the treble still sounds bright, so I think it's probably the bass contributing to a more solid and balanced sound, but I still can't be sure at the moment.

The soundstage is wide and at the same time very close to you, which feels very intimate and I like the feeling very much. It has that "on the stage" feel, but the stage is intimate and small and the light is dimming, and is perfect for an unplugged record. I'll probably try them with more types of music in the following days, but right now I'm just overwhelmed and too excited to sleep (it's 2am here!)

And yes, what you've heard is right: the promo pictures don't do them justice AT ALL. They look so much better in your hands (and on your head).

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #35,244 of 65,714
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/andrew_jones.htm

something interesting about measurement

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #35,245 of 65,714
  Hey guys, just got my pair of GH2. I put them on and played Neil Young's "Live in Massey Hall", and was really enjoying what I hear.

First impressions: the bass is definitely there, and despite its strong presence, strangely, it doesn't feel out of place at all. Thanks to its presence, the acoustic guitar and the piano sounds so realistic, so much more than what I've heard on my 225e/ 325e/ PS500e. Neil Young's voice is full-bodied and very smooth, but if I had to pick one word to describe it I would say "refined", because it never felt over-emote on songs like "Journey Through the Past", but it's sincere and elegant. For most of the songs I felt GH2 was towards dark-sounding, but when the guitar hits hard or when Neil Young hits high on "Old Man", the treble still sounds bright, so I think it's probably the bass contributing to a more solid and balanced sound, but I still can't be sure at the moment.

The soundstage is wide and at the same time very close to you, which feels very intimate and I like the feeling very much. It has that "on the stage" feel, but the stage is intimate and small and the light is dimming, and is perfect for an unplugged record. I'll probably try them with more types of music in the following days, but right now I'm just overwhelmed and too excited to sleep (it's 2am here!)

your description sounds similar to how I'd describe (my very well burned-in) GS1000i's.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #35,247 of 65,714
​If I were you, I'd open the GH2 right away, simply because it is still available, so if they're really THAT good then you could still go and buy a brand new pair and save them for later, but if you find them not that great then you still did the right thing because if they're not good then it's meaningless to save them for the future.

On the other hand, it's really complicated for your GH1. As much as I want them to be enjoyed, I realized that they're probably the only brand new pair of GH1 on earth, so it's tempting to keep them the way they are. Though I'm certain about one thing: the longer you keep your GH1, the less possible you'll unbox them..:wink:

Yea man honestly I still can't make up my mind on wether I want to keep them sealed and unopened for a few years or open now. Im just going to enjoy and break in my newest headphones for now - 800S, Vega and a new EL-8 open back. Will take some months before those get boring to me haha in the meantime im gonna just leave the GH1&2 and D&G GS1000i sealed and unopened in a space out of site and out of mind lol I'll be attending the Atlanta meet next month so I'm hoping someone will bring their GH's so I can hear them.

Also I kinda want to start my first mod project and buy my favorite SR series of all time the 225e. Although I like the sound signature so much I might just do cosmetic things I guess. Anyone know what the easiest mods to start would be? Lol headband perhaps.

I've been enjoying the RS2e so much tonight.. sounds incredible with wm1z.. a warm dap with authority.. good synergy imo. Since we were on the topic of FR graphs.. anyone know where I can see the RS2e's graph out of pure curiosity?

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #35,248 of 65,714

Cool review! Sounds like they are more similar than I thought! Maybe they're tuned the same with same drivers but the wood is the only thing slightly changing the sound? I'd like to see some fr graphs on these two as well just to see how close they resemble.

By the way.. looks like Grado is selling the 325i brand new on their site. Everyone says it's the brightest Grado of all time and I love to change it up sometimes and have some super brightness every once n a while.. or maybe they synergize perfectly with tubes. Is it worth it for me to snag? It's tempting and interesting for sure. (Please nobody buy them out first) :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back