Grado Fan Club!
Apr 9, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #35,207 of 65,718
@Dillan my brother, these headphones are meant to be enjoyed! I do understand maybe not wanting to open up all the goodies at the same time. From what I can see you really seem to enjoy your Rs2e and your new acquisitions will definitely impose on the love you have for the Rs2e somewhat. Quite frankly if you have the budget there's no reason not to love em all and enjoy them like one does with one's children for example. Do yourself a favor and open up those babies somewhere soon along the way, don't keep them in the box! Enjoy them man, you only live once!

If you need some logical reasoning, I'll try to accommodate (even in my slightly inebriated state of mind).
The Gh1 despite being a limited edition, they made too many of them so much like the hp1 variants, they'll always come up for sale occasionally.
The D&G is not really sought after despite what the limited production numbers indicate.

The Gh-2 might be the only one which I believe are not made in big numbers and might become somewhat of a legend imo based on nothing else but my speculation, but even then keeping them in the box will not bring that much more financial gain vs just keeping them in mint condition which is easy to do for most of us on here.

Ah you are very right these are beautiful pieces all unique from each other but all still the same Grados we love. It's tempting to open one of these three boxes (I'd probably start with GH1) but due to my recent purchases - 800S and CA Vega - I have that new toy thirst satisfied for awhile. I haven't really heard any of these three either but I see a ton of GH1s in people's top 5. GH-2 seems like it might be even better (at least for my tastes) so also looking forward to hearing it too. I guess my plan will to just be this - once I get that craving for a new headphone (inevitable in this hobby).. instead of buying one I'll just crack open one of these boxes. The thought of collecting rare and limited editions seems fun but it's possible to still do that while listening to them and using them right? :yum:

JoeDoe those are beautiful.. what exactly am I looking at there? Haha I see the 225e, my favorite of all SR headphones. I've been recently thinking about buying a 225e and doing my first little Grado mod project..

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #35,208 of 65,718
ruhenheiM Your post definitely makes sense and makes me feel better about my eventual unboxing. These headphones are meant to be enjoyed and I think as soon as I get the itch for something new then I'll unbox one. Like I said above - who says you can't collect rare/limited editions while using them at the same time?

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #35,209 of 65,718
GH2 and a DIY V7 build

can't wait to hear about the v7, i have the v6, and got the bug to build another, just not sure which, all these new drivers to choose from !

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #35,210 of 65,718
Here is what I learned I comparing a PS500 (NOT -e) with L bowls vs. with G Cush (and the PS1000). Higher numbers are better for each feature (row):
http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1371950/

I posted the comparison here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/24840#post_11609890

​Looks like G-Cush is turning PS500 into a bass-light PS1000? That sounds tempting to me. Think I'll get a G-Cush and see what it does to the e-series.

And I was reading your very comprehensive Grado comparisons, and find it very interesting. I see most of the models in the comparison were before e-series, so I'm curious to know: have your preference changed for the e-series? Is RS2e still your highest ranking Grado in the current line-up?

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #35,211 of 65,718
@ruhenheiM Your post definitely makes sense and makes me feel better about my eventual unboxing. These headphones are meant to be enjoyed and I think as soon as I get the itch for something new then I'll unbox one. Like I said above - who says you can't collect rare/limited editions while using them at the same time?

you're absolutely right! you never know how special it is if you never try it yourself. unless this thing just accumulate a very cult status then it's safe a bet, nothing to lose really. anyway happy listening!

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #35,212 of 65,718

​Looks like G-Cush is turning PS500 into a bass-light PS1000? That sounds tempting to me. Think I'll get a G-Cush and see what it does to the e-series.

And I was reading your very comprehensive Grado comparisons, and find it very interesting. I see most of the models in the comparison were before e-series, so I'm curious to know: have your preference changed for the e-series? Is RS2e still your highest ranking Grado in the current line-up?

for me, the g cush is the way to go for me !

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #35,213 of 65,718
Well, the nice folks at Grado apparently replaced both drivers in my GS1000's. Now nice and broken in. Whatever bad things I had to say about these phones (bad driver, twice. fell apart and required some glue to fix), all is well. With the right recordings, these things are beautiful. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #35,214 of 65,718
  Well, the nice folks at Grado apparently replaced both drivers in my GS1000's. Now nice and broken in. Whatever bad things I had to say about these phones (bad driver, twice. fell apart and required some glue to fix), all is well. With the right recordings, these things are beautiful. 

do you notice any sonic differences? because i think they replace the drivers with the new drivers from third generation, right?

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #35,216 of 65,718

do you notice any sonic differences? because i think they replace the drivers with the new drivers from third generation, right?
when my gs1000i drivers failed last year I believe, Grado used Gs1000i drivers to replace them. The drivers had red paint on the back like e drivers, but they were still the i varient as the bigger 50mm e drivers don't fit in the gs1ki cups

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #35,217 of 65,718
sorry should have been more clear. looking for original grado pads, unless the knockoffs like ear zonk are any good.

ahhh then it's not economical :D  L-cush or flat pad should sound great

when my gs1000i drivers failed last year I believe, Grado used Gs1000i drivers to replace them. The drivers had red paint on the back like e drivers, but they were still the i varient as the bigger 50mm e drivers don't fit in the gs1ki cups

that's right because the new one is 50mm and the old using 44mm drivers. i was wondering if they replace it with the new drivers the sound must be different then but now i remember the drivers size. anyway do you notice any sonic differences? and did they also utilizing a new cable for your GS1000i?

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #35,218 of 65,718

The only -e that for me does better in those three way comparisons in the charts than their -I predecessor is the RS2e, which along with the GS1000i and the PS1000 are my favorite Grados. In general, the -e series has less treble, tighter bass, but I prefer lots of bright treble...the SR325i, the very brightest of all Grados, is one of my favorites.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #35,219 of 65,718
sorry should have been more clear. looking for original grado pads, unless the knockoffs like ear zonk are any good.

ahhh then it's not economical :D  L-cush or flat pad should sound great

I felt they sounded better, but couldn't reliably tell since a few weeks had gone by since I had sent them to Grado and the sent back to me.

It was a new cable, but I might have requested it

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #35,220 of 65,718
Does it bother anyone that Grados measurements are so terrible. THD, l&r frequency response, squarewave etc etc

Objectively Grado is one of the worst haha but there's something cool and unique about using the ear as John does when tuning these drivers. I respect good stats and low thd and I use fr graphs a lot to get an idea of a headphone. But obviously above all else is sound and that's what keeps me a gradohead.

What you guys think.. good that their stats are bad.. a bad thing? or perhaps​ you don't care either way.

I lean towards it being a bad thing as I feel they could keep their signature sound while also upping r&d and making things technically great too. Not sure though just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back