Grado Fan Club!
Jun 27, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #32,537 of 65,553
Does anyone have or know where to find frequency response charts for the GH1 and PS500e?  I've found plenty of measurements for the original PS500, but not the e version and have never found one for GH1.

I have the PS500e with EarZonk G cushions (and am very impressed), but I can tell the big bass boost does seem to create just a slight veil I'm not used to hearing on a Grado and am wondering exactly how the GH1 differs.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #32,538 of 65,553
btw: i embolden just to have things stand out...not trying to shout.

hi friendly grado people...need some help please with suggestions
for what from the grado lineup would be a good compliment to what I have.

currently i have some sony 7520 monitors (love 'em for detail and balance, being studio monitors)
and senn hd650s...what grados would be a good compliment please?

I love detail, and punchy bass (tight, clean bass), great resolution, warmish, musical.
....some have suggested the massdrop fostex thx00 ...but what from the grado lineup please

also in the RS1...trying to understand diff between the i and e....a good can to consider, too?
(my buddy is also interested in this: he salivates over the grado wood cups, lol)

my music: rock, blues and jazz, instrumental

equipment:
laptop
dragonfly red
chord mojo on the way
iFi micro iDSD/mercury/ipurifier 2
mapletree ear + hd tube amp

thank you!

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #32,539 of 65,553

currently i have some sony 7520 monitors (love 'em for detail and balance, being studio monitors)
and senn 650s...what grados would be a good compliment please?

I love detail, and punchy bass (tight, clean bass), great resolution, warmish, musical.
....some have suggested the massdrop fostex thx00 ...but what from the grado lineup please

also in the RS1...trying to understand diff between the i and e....a good can to consider, too?
(my buddy is also interested in this: he salivates over the grado wood cups, lol)

equipment:
laptop
dragonfly red
chord mojo on the way

thank you!

The RS1e wasn't a big hit…the RS1i is an excellent HP, but is no longer available "new" unless you can find them NOS because it is the predecessor to the (e) series. I'm sure you could find a used pair for sale on the forums/eBay.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #32,540 of 65,553

and senn 650s...what grados would be a good compliment please?

equipment:
laptop
dragonfly red
chord mojo on the way

thank you!

Sounds like you would definitely enjoy an RS1i..

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #32,541 of 65,553
Does anyone have an extra set of official Grado g-cushions they'd be willing to part with?  I'm curious about the sound, but not $45 curious since I already have the EarZonks (which are very comfortable).  If so, PM me.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #32,543 of 65,553
Have the rs2i and rs1i.
Both compliment each other beautifully.
:)
Stacker45,
Wherever you are we are with you brother.
:)

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #32,544 of 65,553
  btw: i embolden just to have things stand out...not trying to shout.

and senn hd650s...what grados would be a good compliment please?

equipment:
laptop
dragonfly red
chord mojo on the way

thank you!

I would suggest a modified SR-225i/e, take apart the cups and add some dynamat around the cups and put a piece of sorbothane on the back of the driver, it will get you better bass than the RS2e while the sorbothane will help to smooth out the highs while still retaining all the details.  Or if you feel a little more creative and can do some DIY, take the drivers from the SR-225i/e and put them is wood cups with the dynamat and sorbothane mods, to me its better than the RS2e but since sound signature is subjective to the individual YMMV.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #32,545 of 65,553
Just thought I would share a great tip from Grado concerning the rod blocks sliding down......I emailed them concerning this problem and received this reply

"try cleaning the height rods thoroughly with alcohol

then re-tension the headband to conform with your head

any questions, let us know"

I was pretty skeptical but it worked like a charm. They are rock solid now and no sliding whatsoever.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #32,546 of 65,553
  The RS1e wasn't a big hit…the RS1i is an excellent HP, but is no longer available "new" unless you can find them NOS because it is the predecessor to the (e) series. I'm sure you could find a used pair for sale on the forums/eBay.

I can only add to joseph69's comments by imploring that anybody who loves the Grado sound signature like I do to get a pair of RS-1i's so that they can fully appreciate how a handmade pair of hp's should sound. The RS1i's sound only gets better over time, with the proviso that its bass response and character takes several hundred hours of listening to fully bloom.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #32,547 of 65,553

I can only add to joseph69's comments by imploring that anybody who loves the Grado sound signature like I do to get a pair of RS-1i's so that they can fully appreciate how a handmade pair of hp's should sound. The RS1i's sound only gets better over time, with the proviso that its bass response and character takes several hundred hours of listening to fully bloom.

Other good quality of RS1i and RS2i is that you can enjoy your music with low volume in high fidelity.  I love this.  

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #32,548 of 65,553
I've had the button RS1 since about 2003 and although I like it's exciting transparent you-are-there sound, it's just too bright and fatiguing. I find the GS and PS to be far more refined and still nice present. Again, the e-versions are my choice.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #32,550 of 65,553
  Do most people say the RS2e is better than the RS1i or they just say they are different and neither are better?

I found that the RS2e exceeded the RS1i on transparency (no veil between you and music) and various measures of treble detail, while the RS1i was better at a large soundstage and bass.  It depends on which you prefer.  Since I had four measures of treble detail for the RS2e to win when I compared the RS2 to the RS1i, and only two categories for the RS1i to win (soundstage and bass), I ended up giving more points to the RS2e, but that doesn't make it better (but if I had to choose one, it would be the RS2e!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back