Grado Fan Club!
Jun 26, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #32,521 of 65,633
Does anyone here who've made modifications grado sr325e or alessandro ms2e from aloy housing become wood housing?
How about the sound after modification with wood housing?
Thanks

I do believe @JoeDoe  said it would be eerily similar to the RS1 line. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #32,522 of 65,633
Jun 27, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #32,523 of 65,633
Anyone know how the rs2e compares to the rs1i? I was thinking about buying the rs2e because from what I've read they r very good headphones. Seems like people even like them better. What really intrigued me is the transparency and no veil sound. Is it worth trying or is the rs1i just a better headphone or too similar and it would just be a waist of money/time?

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #32,524 of 65,633
Anyone know how the rs2e compares to the rs1i? I was thinking about buying the rs2e because from what I've read they r very good headphones. Seems like people even like them better. What really intrigued me is the transparency and no veil sound. Is it worth trying or is the rs1i just a better headphone or too similar and it would just be a waist of money/time?

Both the RS1i and the RS2e headphones are fabulous.

Before there was an RS2e, I compared its predecessor, the RS2i, to the RS1i and ended up preferring the RS2i.  I compared using 10 acoustic features, also including the original RS1 with buttons as a third headphone in the mix.  For each of the 10 rows, the headphone I heard as performing that feature the best is given 3 points (or first place - blue ribbon), second best 2 points (red), and third place yellow (1).  I then add total scores.

RS2i excels over RS1 and RS1i at transparency, treble detail (as measured by attack of finger plucking bass string), and powerful organ/brass tones.

I later obtained the RS2e and found it to be even better than the RS2i, which was first place winner above.  Here I compare the RS2i, RS2e, and the original buttoned RS2.

RS2e bests the RS2i with even better transparency, visceral subbass, and nearly everything else except soundstage.

Hope this helps!  (I love answering questions like this!)

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #32,525 of 65,633
Thank you so much for your interesting findings and keeping the love of Grado sound/musical quality fresh!

(who would have thought that the RS2i would have bested the RS1i?) ..... Of course these are your perceptions,
with your music and equipment..... but very interesting read, as always.

Food for thought. Thanks!

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #32,526 of 65,633
Thank you so much for your interesting findings and keeping the love of Grado sound/musical quality fresh!

(who would have thought that the RS2i would have bested the RS1i?) ..... Of course these are your perceptions,
with your music and equipment..... but very interesting read, as always.

Food for thought. Thanks!

Yes, I was surprised that the RS2i bested the RS1i.  But when I listened side by side, I preferred the close intimacy that the RS2i, with its less deep cups, gave over the RS1i, whose cups are deeper, giving bigger sound stage, but not having quite the transparency and intimacy. I also find that I prefer the GS1000i to the (much more expensive) PS1000, and I prefer the PS1000 to the (enhanced) PS1000e, just as I prefer the GS1000i to the GS1000e!

The challenge is that we don't listen like we score.  My scoring weights each of the 10 criteria equally, yet I value some things (e.g. transparency) far more than 1/10 of the total score.  So I always give my ears priority over my scores.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #32,527 of 65,633
  Both the RS1i and the RS2e headphones are fabulous.

Before there was an RS2e, I compared its predecessor, the RS2i, to the RS1i and ended up preferring the RS2i.  I compared using 10 acoustic features, also including the original RS1 with buttons as a third headphone in the mix.  For each of the 10 rows, the headphone I heard as performing that feature the best is given 3 points (or first place - blue ribbon), second best 2 points (red), and third place yellow (1).  I then add total scores.

RS2i excels over RS1 and RS1i at transparency, treble detail (as measured by attack of finger plucking bass string), and powerful organ/brass tones.

I later obtained the RS2e and found it to be even better than the RS2i, which was first place winner above.  Here I compare the RS2i, RS2e, and the original buttoned RS2.

RS2e bests the RS2i with even better transparency, visceral subbass, and nearly everything else except soundstage.

Hope this helps!  (I love answering questions like this!)

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Does this mean that the RS2e is brighter than the RS1i or is it warmer? I'm not 100% sure how transparency is supposed to sound to everyone?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #32,528 of 65,633
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Does this mean that the RS2e is brighter than the RS1i or is it warmer? I'm not 100% sure how transparency is supposed to sound to everyone?

Thanks

RS2e is brighter than the RS1i.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #32,531 of 65,633
  Hmm, I'm surprised to hear the RS2e is brighter than the RS1i.

I've tried the sr80e, 125e, 225e, 325e, RS2e, RS1i, and PS1000e headphones.

I can't compare the RS2e to the RS1i because it was too long ago to remember but I do distinctly remember the 325e
being the brightest out of these that I've tried. I've tried maybe 4 or 5 different 325es. The RS2e seemed to be pretty much the same as the 225e, 125e, and the 80e as far as brightness if I remember correctly.

That makes me think it would be very similar to the RS1is treble but I just can't remember anything else about the RS2e since I just tried them at the store for a little bit.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #32,535 of 65,633
  If I like a mid forward/focused sound with a tame treble and bass boost/accentuation which Grado to get?

PS500 or PS500e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back