Grado Fan Club!
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #52,306 of 65,796
For some reason the Grado flat pad discomfort isn't bothering me as much as it did when I was a young guy circa 2000s. Maybe I've just come to expect it. It's not like I've become hardened with age - I've been an office worker my whole life lol. Also stopped using gloves to lift at the gym a long time ago, haha.

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #52,307 of 65,796
As time went on I was able to wear the Hemp for longer sessions. When I first got them I could only wear them for about 30 minutes before my ears started hurting. I tried the G cushion and L pads and while the comfort improved. I did not like how they sounded. Therefore the compromise was not worth it for me. I can definitely listen to them for a couple of hours but they are far from comfy especially compared to my other headphones. Though some of them have hotspot issues(like the LCD X). Just need to get around to modding the headband on that.

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #52,308 of 65,796
Just moved and am unpacking @ my new place. As I am storing my headphones, I found a Grado I haven't listened to in years and years. The Grado Head-F1 (yes there was a typo on the HF2). Great bass extension, no piercing highs. Good sound stage (not as wide as RS1x). Good instrument separation. Some headphones give you a sound from the 10th row. Some sound like first row. These sound like I'm on the stage surrounded by the band. These will be back in my rotation for sure......

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #52,309 of 65,796
For some reason the Grado flat pad discomfort isn't bothering me as much as it did when I was a young guy circa 2000s. Maybe I've just come to expect it. It's not like I've become hardened with age - I've been an office worker my whole life lol. Also stopped using gloves to lift at the gym a long time ago, haha.
I have found the TTVJ Deluxe Flats to be a lot more comfortable than the stock Grado flats; plus, the sound is better! The DFs are now on the Hemp, the PS500e, and the RS1x !!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #52,310 of 65,796
As time went on I was able to wear the Hemp for longer sessions. When I first got them I could only wear them for about 30 minutes before my ears started hurting. I tried the G cushion and L pads and while the comfort improved. I did not like how they sounded. Therefore the compromise was not worth it for me. I can definitely listen to them for a couple of hours but they are far from comfy especially compared to my other headphones. Though some of them have hotspot issues(like the LCD X). Just need to get around to modding the headband on that.
I think you just have to build up callouses. Or push through the pain and eventually it goes away. I'm kidding of course, mostly. I can wear my Hemps almost a whole work day before my ears get "sensitive" or start to hurt. Bending the headband outward (slowly and a little at a time) definitely helps. There's a reason it's probably the most suggested "mod" for Grado HP's

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #52,312 of 65,796
the headphones have about 7 hours of burn-in and I feel they are definitely closed in sound, how many hours will the 325 need for a good burn-in?
I don't think I noticed any major differences with my 325x over time and I wouldn't say there particularly closed in either but it will also depend on your source , my cayin ro1 has wide and deep staging and maybe that helping.
My 80x turned up today and after a quick 5 mins they seem pretty good for the price I paid and definitely remind me of the 335x in many ways ...il save opinions until I get more evaluation time but I do know I paid just over half price for them and for that amount of money they are a steal! They are extremely light and comfortable and don't seem to move which is excellent as bought for work use with the cayin ru6.
20220414_185229.JPG20220414_123747.JPG

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #52,313 of 65,796
I think you just have to build up callouses. Or push through the pain and eventually it goes away. I'm kidding of course, mostly. I can wear my Hemps almost a whole work day before my ears get "sensitive" or start to hurt. Bending the headband outward (slowly and a little at a time) definitely helps. There's a reason it's probably the most suggested "mod" for Grado HP's
I can also wear my hemp for hours on end if needed ,very light and very comfortable , the 325x had a clamp force that could crack hazelnuts but I just gently bent the headband slightly (be careful doing this as it's sprung steel and can easily bend it too much and won't spring back) The stock pads which I think are the best for audio quality do relax and become less uncomfortable, now my 325x are nearly as comfortable as my hemp apart from weight.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #52,315 of 65,796
I honestly think pairing is a big thing with both 325x and hemp both are not neutral and maybe they are just picking up what the Alessandro ms1 can't??? This is just an observation though as I haven't heard Alessandro or obviously know what your experiencing, but some headphones when more resolving will sound worse with recordings you have heard 100 times before by not smoothing out the edges ..
But then again my hemp are more clean than the 325x but should be at more cost.
So I'm not saying definitely the case just food for thought.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #52,316 of 65,796
Right the 80x are a steal! Sound very very good for the money i paid and these are definitely the best thing I have heard for the rediculous money paid.....there is one negative though, they leak like the Titanic!
These leak more sound than any grado I own or any open backed I have owned period! It's like having a bad radio on low! ...now I have a big dilemma as they sound awesome for money paid and in this sense I couldn't recommend enough, but I bought for work use and it just may annoy others a bit too much.
But they do genuinely sound amazing for the money and if you're budget friendly using at home then it's a major thumbs up.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #52,317 of 65,796
Looks like Audio Advisor is discounting the GS-e series. Perhaps in anticipation of the GS-x series?

Audio Advisor
I'm listening to my new 325 x but it's so addicting !!! it also has some incredible bass.
Congrats and have fun. My SR325x was sounding quite good overall. Running them made a beneficial jump in sound performance a bit after 100 hours. There was a transparency that developed and really helped detail across the board and really opened up the midrange, refinements all. It just sort of bloomed suddenly. Not at all like the slow steady progress that I find the case most always.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #52,318 of 65,796
Congrats and have fun. My SR325x was sounding quite good overall. Running them made a beneficial jump in sound performance a bit after 100 hours. There was a transparency that developed and really helped detail across the board and really opened up the midrange, refinements all. It just sort of bloomed suddenly. Not at all like the slow steady progress that I find the case most always.
Concur may friend! Excellent cans indeed!

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #52,319 of 65,796
but I bought for work use and it just may annoy others a bit too much.
Simple: at that reasonable price, have everyone at work own a 80x…Too fired up to be annoyed by music leakage…🤣🤪

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #52,320 of 65,796
Simple: at that reasonable price, have everyone at work own a 80x…Too fired up to be annoyed by music leakage…🤣🤪
I try and spread the word at work always, some believers some naysayers but I think my boss might have something to say when its louder than the company radio! Lol .....but one thing is genuinely clear they ALL like the grado. Don't you just love it when you see someone with there beats and say "hey try these" to see that look on there face.
Il maybe keep them and thinking of maybe modding them a little, I may put a 4.4 on them tomorrow and I'm also possibly thinking of putting nmcx on the cups eventually, more flexible thinner wire would be better on the go and these would be excellent on the go... apart from everyone can hear my secret passion for glockenspiel music :k701smile:(only kidding .... its the triangle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back