Grado Fan Club!
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #52,276 of 66,263
Some more impressions from my ongoing Grado infatuation. Generally I try a few pad configs and choose my preference for each model. My preferences tend to push the top end "down" and bass "up" compared to stock. Also I generally prefer the more intimate, direct presentation you get when moving towards flat pads. From brightest to darkest (also more diffuse to more direct and impactful): G, L, Reverse G, Deluxe Flats - and generally this holds across all Grado models.
  • PS500 and PS1000 (not "e")
    These models are very bass heavy. Unfortunately the bass also loses its grip very easily. Grados don't get boomy like a subwoofer (which I find to be a horribly offensive sound, personally) but they can get muddy and distorted as heck. At a certain point it swamps the music, even it it's not as ugly as subwoofer boomy/thumpy/thwacky bass (which I guess is the product of cheap cabinet resonances, rattles, etc). L pads are probably best for the 500 - flat pads are definitely a no-go here, because of the bass issues. Reverse G were my preference for 1000. The 500 is nice enough, but I like the PS500e a lot better. The PS1000 is also much better than PS500 - it's a flawed gem that shows flashes of sheer brilliance, but bass is way overpowered (muddy) and the top end gets fatiguing. If I use the PS1000 going forward, it will only be for very specific material that "sparkles" on them.
  • PS500e
    What a wonderfully balanced, musical headphone! TTVJ Deluxe flats are absolutely PEREFCT here. This would be my favorite Grado if not for the PS2000e. Amazing for heavy metal. Low fatigue for a Grado. Very slightly on the dark side, so silver cables should be fine. No obvious distortion in bass, unlike prior PS series. It only gives up the last bit of transparency and layering to the PS2000e. This seems like the bargain of the line.
  • PS2000e
    OMG! Such good sound. Layers and layers of music. Very nice head-stage for a Grado. Great bass, maybe not quite as clean as 500e actually, but this doesn't detract from music like it did on the prior PS series. Like the PS500e, it's amazingly musical and balanced, but also with better transparency and detail. Not fatiguing like the PS1000 was. I prefer reverse G pads for now, but this is the only Grado (so far) I could happily enjoy with G pads on the "proper" way. Heck, even with L pads these would be great. With reverse G pads they have a decidedly "dark" balance, but not enough to detract from the music or detail.
  • GS3000e
    I'm still trying to "get" these. I'm still surprised how different they sound to PS2000e. These have a more lightweight, brighter sound. Ebullient? It's not a bad sound at all. I can see why people love them. I just personally don't "get" it. Despite being brighter, I find them decidedly less detailed than PS2000e (that's a pretty high standard, to be fair). Is this the cocobolo sound? Maybe I should avoid cocobolo in future audio purchases, haha. It's so damn pretty though! EDIT: Does this kind of sound mean they need more burn-in? I thought they were fully burned in (used) but I'm doing it now just to be sure.
  • HF-1 modded with Zebra wood outer cups
    I'm still waiting to get these back (balanced re-termination). What I heard so far was a very nostalgic "classic" John Grado sound that was colored, but in all the "right" ways. It harkens back to my original HF-1 (serial #15 !!! I remember calling Todd and hearing I was 15, a nice "even" number) and how it sounded like a vastly fixed & improved SR225. I even had an RS-1 at the time, and I'm pretty sure I preferred the HF-1. Flat pads or deluxe flats for sure, on these cans. These are lovely headphones. Recommended.
The PS500e and PS2000e (well, particularly the 2000e) are now two of my favorite headphones of all time. Maybe I need to get a Utopia again to see how it stacks up! It might well beat the PS2000e on technicalities, but my memory of it is also slightly less "soulful" than the Grado.

EDIT: Also note listening preferences and volume levels have a BIG impact on this stuff. I tend to enjoy my sessions at louder levels, and carefully monitor their duration and any onset of ear fatigue to help preserve my hearing - I'm in my 40s now!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #52,278 of 66,263
Great summary and easy to digest @mulveling :) Can you expound a little more on the PS500 and PS500e differences? Is it just more controlled bass? I can't recall ever reading about the differences between them other than the 8 conductor cable.
I'll try to listen to the PS500 more. But the bass was such a big difference that it disqualifies use of any flat pads on PS500. And the deluxe flats were an important component of the "e" to get its sound "locked in" the way I like it. Seriously, it was no small difference in bass. The "e" sounds way cleaner there.

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #52,279 of 66,263
Well, it did not take long to make a decision this morning. First off, these pads are not made for the older 'phones with smaller drivers. After I "mounted" the Shipibo pads you could knock them off by touching the pad with your finger. I guess they are made for the new X drivers.

The pads are also very thick and the volume needs to cranked to be heard. While the foam is soft, the material covering the foam is somewhat firm. The pads will only compress so much.

The BA pads are the hands down winner for me, with the GH2's. These have the smaller drivers.

I will be putting up my Shipibo pads on CAM. Not for me.

However, the BA's on the Grado's from my Mark 9 are Awesome!:thumbsup:
I'll take those Shipibo pads off your hands. I'm in the US (but real close to Canada) if that matters.

Apr 12, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #52,280 of 66,263
Just a quick update on my cracked RS1x:

1) I purchased them from 4OurEars, and Rich Grado immediately took care of things by emailing me a shipping label.

2) Another indication of the RS1x's performance is how much I already miss them - even considering the other headphones I own. Ie, this is going to be a long 2 week wait...

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #52,281 of 66,263
I'll try to listen to the PS500 more. But the bass was such a big difference that it disqualifies use of any flat pads on PS500. And the deluxe flats were an important component of the "e" to get its sound "locked in" the way I like it. Seriously, it was no small difference in bass. The "e" sounds way cleaner there.
You're not using a digital EQ correct? I know when we were first active here they were taboo, but with everything going digital it seems they are more accepted now. I have a stored setting for every headphone and will slightly tweak them over time. They are especially helpful for removing that horrible bass bloat. I just use the free one: Peace.

One other thing that might interest you as you were asking about the 325e vs 325X, the X is actually painted silver like the Pokemon Grado, it's not the natural color of the clear anodized aluminum. I personally think the natural aluminum looks a little nicer. I'm assuming it was a choice for cost reduction perhaps to maintain the $300 price point.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #52,282 of 66,263
I got my pads from Shipibo today. I wanted to test my new amp today, so I was using the Grado's.

An hour or two into it the Shipibo pads showed up. They are very deep. I had to raise the volume on the amp after going from Beautiful Audio pads to the Shipibo's. It did change the sound.
Tomorrow I will A-B several times. The BA's are soft and pretty compressed so there is a large difference between the distance to the ear. Also, the Shipibo pads have what feels like a nylon material.

After a few hours of listening, I was less impressed. Was that me getting used to the new amp or was it me not enjoying the Shipibo's as much as the BA pads? I will test tomorrow.
I tried out Shipibo pads with my Hemps and was NOT impressed. I listened to them for maybe an hour and couldn't tolerate them any more. They sounded muffled/muted and somewhat hollow and distant. Basically, took away the qualities that I love about the Hemps such as visceral and tactile articulation, punchy bass, and nicely tipped up upper mids. They were indeed very comfortable, but almost too comfortable, in that they kind of lost their form, even after just a few minutes. Way too soft imo. Also, ridiculously overpriced.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #52,283 of 66,263
I tried out Shipibo pads with my Hemps and was NOT impressed. I listened to them for maybe an hour and couldn't tolerate them any more. They sounded muffled/muted and somewhat hollow and distant. Basically, took away the qualities that I love about the Hemps such as visceral and tactile articulation, punchy bass, and nicely tipped up upper mids. They were indeed very comfortable, but almost too comfortable, in that they kind of lost their form, even after just a few minutes. Way too soft imo. Also, ridiculously overpriced.
Agreed. Price wise they are not horrible, if you like them. They cost me half of what the Beautiful Audio pads cost. But I do love my BA pads.:ksc75smile:

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #52,284 of 66,263
You're not using a digital EQ correct? I know when we were first active here they were taboo, but with everything going digital it seems they are more accepted now. I have a stored setting for every headphone and will slightly tweak them over time. They are especially helpful for removing that horrible bass bloat. I just use the free one: Peace.

One other thing that might interest you as you were asking about the 325e vs 325X, the X is actually painted silver like the Pokemon Grado, it's not the natural color of the clear anodized aluminum. I personally think the natural aluminum looks a little nicer. I'm assuming it was a choice for cost reduction perhaps to maintain the $300 price point.
Correct, no digital EQ. Yeah, EQ was not popular back in the day here. And my main 2ch rig is vinyl only so definitely no digital EQ there haha. I'm not entirely opposed to it for my digital/headphone setup, but not inclined to explore it either. Funny though, my Headroom Max Balanced has "pseudo EQ lite" analog controls via its crossfeed (moderate bass boost) and filter (moderate upper midrange and treble boost) switches - they're meant to balance each other. For the life of me I can't appreciate the crossfeed's intended "natural sound" effect, but its bass emphasis side effect is significant. I definitely found that keeping crossfeed OFF and filter ON helped somewhat tame the PS1000 bass. The PS500e and PS2000e are great either all flat (both switches off) or both on. The PS "e" series is also utterly fantastic on this balanced Dynalo I got (Dynalo+ modules) that's just a touch warmer and sweeter than any other Dynalo implementations I've heard (which are otherwise extremely neutral).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #52,285 of 66,263
…Sometimes, headphones just want to have fun!…(sorry, Cindy)…jaunty, rhythmic, seductive…with slam when called for! 🤪😄
368B0257-8604-4BD4-AB88-A568408C116F.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #52,286 of 66,263
I like what you say about me. I’ll stay awhile:
62894811-5FC4-42ED-8F9E-D714C74D93EC.jpeg

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #52,287 of 66,263
Agreed. Price wise they are not horrible, if you like them. They cost me half of what the Beautiful Audio pads cost. But I do love my BA pads.:ksc75smile:
Question: When the BA's "go flat", what do you fill them with?

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #52,288 of 66,263
Question: When the BA's "go flat", what do you fill them with?
I change "fillings". They come with a white foam and a black plasticy material. I switch back and forth, although I prefer the foam. I thought about getting bigger/harder foam. I even spoke to the shop but haven't dropped by yet.

The white foam does compact easily, so I learned to store my woodies foam up.

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #52,289 of 66,263
Looks like Audio Advisor is discounting the GS-e series. Perhaps in anticipation of the GS-x series?

Audio Advisor

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #52,290 of 66,263
I bought Shipibo pads to use with my Hemps. It seemed nonsensical to me to use them with my SR60x given the price ratio.

They definitely hold better to the Hemps than the 60x.

But I agree with the comments that sound-wise they don't suit the Hemps. I've tried going back to flat pads but I just can't get comfortable enough with them and the sound feels too narrow for me. I also prefer the sound of the Hemps with Geekria G (best tonal balance and technical performance) and Grado G pads (best comfort but less bass). I'm looking forward to trying the Dekoni Velours with my Hemps but they are taking a long time to reach the UK it seems. Any more impressions on those with Hemps would be much appreciated 🙏🏾

In the meantime I decided yesterday to try the Shipibo Pads with my SR60x. The pads do slip off too easily which is a worry as I hope to use them on the go. But I really enjoyed both the sound and the comfort of the Shipibo pads on the SR60x, even though they failed on both counts for me with the Hemps.... I feel a bit schitzo, and ridiculous to be using pads that cost more than half the price of the headphones they are on, but that's how it's turned out.

Any suggestions for an easily removable adhesive I can use to secure the Shipibo pads to the SR60x without damaging the housing? I probably will switch to purple Yaxis from time to time because... Purple... So need that flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back